Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 1986 AS 345 MH H2O Check Valve Location

On the 1986 345 water system, where is the check valve for the city h2o hook-up located? On my 345, when the on board pump is turned on, water will discharge thru the hose. I assume that the check valve is not holding. Thanks for any help! Jim
Old 10-19-2003, 06:22 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jim,

The check valve is inside the city water pressure regulator. If your bed goes back to front then it is under the bed. Remove the mattress and there is an accesss panel cut in the bed platform.

The check valve/ pressure regulator is normally close to the inlet. It looks like two small bells welded together at their widest points. Here is a poor picture I took of the regulator on my 76 MH. The check valves get stuck open from scale, grit and sand that is sometimes in the water.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:01 AM   #3

Recently changed mine onn my 89, 345.

It is under the bed, is a brass valve that most RV dealers have.
panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Check Valve

Just to the rearmost of the bed, on the curb side, you will find an access panel, about 30" X 12". Remove the panel, and you will view the water pump, filter, regulator, check valve, and drain valves (4). Stick your head into the abyss, and looking forward under the bed, view the air compressor system and fresh water tank.

The check valve on the 87 345 is mounted just to the drivers side of the regulator, which is on the rearmost interior wall.

In the photo, it is the brass hex nut looking thingy connected just to the right of the regulator by a grey plastic nipple.

The clear tube towards the right of the photo is the overflow of the potable water tank, the 4 valves are the drains for the various systems.

You should check this area with some regularity, as if a water leak does develope, it will likely be in this area, due to the pump, and the number and type of connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	regulator, check valve, and drains.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	3511  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 09:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome, Panzer!

Panzer, check your Private Messages (PM).

Click on your "user cp' button at the top of the page, when the profile opens, about three lines down all the way to the right, click on the button "private messages".

What a cherry MH you have!

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 10-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

H2O Check Valve

Looks like the previous owner(s) has had a problem with the check. Out of the regulator on the supply side, their is a valve installed and in the closed position. The owner that I had bought from had told me that water would backflow out the hose but from what I see, the inlet line to the regulator is laying there disconnected and if I would have hooked up water to hose, I think I would have had a flooded bedroom. Is the regulator also the check valve on the 86 345 as yours Brett in your 76 or is a seperate valve as 87MH states in his post? The nut that 87 MH has a picture of looks like the connection for the inlet line to the regulator that is in mine. I ran a piece of wire into it and no restriction from a clapper in a check valve. Hope that I haven't muddied ( no pun intended) the problem but trying to pin down seperate check or regulator/check. Thanks for the replys and hope to hear more back. Jim
Old 10-19-2003, 03:40 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The picture that 87 posted is the same part as I posted, just from a different angle.

I think they are still using the same all in one pressure regulator/check valve. There may, or may not, be a pop off valve just past the regulator that has an outlet into the floor. This may be where your mystery valve is installed. This was to allow excessive pressure release before things failed intside the plumbing system.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I have the same problem. Walt's RV sold me a $0.99 plug for the end of the hose. I recently upgraded at Camping World to a $2.99 on/off switch. Works great. It also keeps the pressure in the line for a smooth switch from shore water to pump water.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 345 MH H2O Check Valve Location

Just to muddy up a little more!! I called Watts Regulators today and talked to a tech (Chris) about the regulator. He told me that Watts did not make a regulator with a built in check valve and never has. I asked him if AS may have had special regulators w/ built in checks and he said "NO". I then called AS and talked to a tech and he also said that they did not but had inline check valves screwed into the regulator on the inlet side ( probably looks like a nipple approx. 2-3 inches long). I am in the process in installing an inline 1/2" check valve in inlet of regulator and hope this resolves the problem. Hope this may help others!!! Jim
Old 10-21-2003, 05:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Nipple Check Valve

Referring to my picture posted above:

The grey plastic nipple to the right of the regulator is, indeed, part of the check valve. There is an arrow on both the top and bottom sides not visable in the photo angle.

My "Brass Nut" also has an arrow on it, indicating to me it was part of the check valve, possibly holding the return spring and ball in place.

Sorry for the confusion.

No "pop offs" or other pressure relief devices, other than the one mounted on the hot water heater in my system....at least the portion I have traced out so far.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1986 AS 345 MH H2O Check Valve

Thanks to all that replied to my post on locating the check valve in my 86' 345 MH. I have installed an inline check valve on the inlet of the regulator as Dennis's / thread & photo has shown and believe it or not, that resolved the problem. Again, thanks for all the help and pictures are worth a thousand words. Jim