Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grants Pass , Oregon
1979 28' Front brakes.

I know the answer is buried in one of the hundreds of threads but can anyone tell me where to find front rotors and calipers for a 1979 Excella 28 ft. MH? Thanks .
Suspenderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:17 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wilmington , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspenderguy View Post
I know the answer is buried in one of the hundreds of threads but can anyone tell me where to find front rotors and calipers for a 1979 Excella 28 ft. MH? Thanks .
I would like to know this as well. I suspect that a Truck repair shop would have them. The chassis is a Chevrolet P-30. I got a P30 ignition switch from NAPA, so they might have them. Might take one off and match it up.
Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Rockauto has an assortment, recommend searching for 1978 Chevrolet p30.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grants Pass , Oregon
I looked into the P-30 Chevy chassis parts . They look less expensive than my '03' F350 parts . I'm curious why you suggested looking up '78' parts instead of '79'. Since my post the people I'm buying it from gave me the option of knocking 1k off the price and I just handle it or they get the brakes fixed. It's about 75 miles from my house and I wasn't sure the depth of repairs so they are having it fixed . (hopefully on Mon. ) Good to know about NAPA and Rockauto. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1979,p30

You have the JB9 brake option.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspenderguy View Post
I looked into the P-30 Chevy chassis parts . They look less expensive than my '03' F350 parts . I'm curious why you suggested looking up '78' parts instead of '79'. Since my post the people I'm buying it from gave me the option of knocking 1k off the price and I just handle it or they get the brakes fixed. It's about 75 miles from my house and I wasn't sure the depth of repairs so they are having it fixed . (hopefully on Mon. ) Good to know about NAPA and Rockauto. Thanks.
Brake issues are rarely pads/rotors/calipers but normally master cylinder/hydroboost related and a total pain to troubleshoot and rectify. As long as you can validate they do the work, pay the $1000 and let them fix them!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Brake issues are rarely pads/rotors/calipers but normally master cylinder/hydroboost related and a total pain to troubleshoot and rectify. As long as you can validate they do the work, pay the $1000 and let them fix them!

Good advice. I am one of several who has gotten a faulty rebuilt master cylinder off the shelf at a chain auto parts store.

My understanding is that these chassis tended to sit at the factory so that most coaches were built on last year’s chassis. I have not verified this with my vins, but have always bought ‘89 parts for my ‘90 and ‘83 parts for my ‘84 without problems.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
In general I agree with having someone do the work but I have one caveat to that thought process.

When we were having the brakes on our 84 310 worked on (hydroboost and MC replaced) I got a call from the shop saying the coach was ready to be picked up. So we went and picked it up and I drove it out of the their shop and onto the highway. Just before getting on the entrance ramp to I-530 I had to stop at the light. Well, the brakes went pretty much to the floor and I almost didn't come to a stop.

At that point I turned around and carefully drove back to the shop and we headed back home without the 310. According to the shop they ended up trying 9 to 10 different master cylinders and at least one other new hydroboost. They never did tell me what the problem was in the end but I'm guessing it had something to do with the pushrod between the booster and the MC. Most likely they lost the original and put in one they thought would work.

The moral of the story is to make d@mn sure the brake repairs work before you do any serious driving.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grants Pass , Oregon
Chassis sitting at A.S. waiting for a body makes sense. I would agree a lot of the parts were the same within 1 or 2 yrs. Not like now . There didn't seem to be any problem with the master and she stopped alright . Just the right front caliper stuck and got very hot. I just confirmed it will be worked on Mon. but the guy I spoke to wasn't sure what all was being done . They haven't even pulled a wheel yet. I do know the rotors were visibly grooved more than a little . I'm hoping for new rotors, pads and calipers. I'll deal with the rear when I get it home . I'm assuming the rear is drums.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
If the rubber hoses to the calipers look old, replace them if possible. When one of mine went bad the brakes pulled dangerously.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:37 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Wilmington , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
In general I agree with having someone do the work but I have one caveat to that thought process.

When we were having the brakes on our 84 310 worked on (hydroboost and MC replaced) I got a call from the shop saying the coach was ready to be picked up. So we went and picked it up and I drove it out of the their shop and onto the highway. Just before getting on the entrance ramp to I-530 I had to stop at the light. Well, the brakes went pretty much to the floor and I almost didn't come to a stop.

At that point I turned around and carefully drove back to the shop and we headed back home without the 310. According to the shop they ended up trying 9 to 10 different master cylinders and at least one other new hydroboost. They never did tell me what the problem was in the end but I'm guessing it had something to do with the pushrod between the booster and the MC. Most likely they lost the original and put in one they thought would work.

The moral of the story is to make d@mn sure the brake repairs work before you do any serious driving.

Brad
As I understand it, the power steering cannister can get gunk in the bottom and that can affect the brakes. Better clean that out as well.
Pickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Grants Pass , Oregon
Thanks everyone for the brake advice . I'm almost done with them . A new dilemma. I can't seem to find anyone that has the Firestone Rear bags. FIR 2107. I ordered them twice only to find out the companies selling won't have them until Nov. and no guarantee on that. Any advice on a replacement or who might have them is appreciated.