Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question '04 Gas Land Yacht

I am considering the purchase of one of the new gas Land Yachts.
Would appreciate any comments, up or down.
Handling, mountian ability, toad capable, interior workmanship,
mileage, resale.
Anything would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jim
Texas
Old 02-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Jim,

I wish I had the cash for a new '04. Instead I just bought a 1994 33' Land Yacht gasser(1/8/04). I don't have a lot of real experience with it yet, but I can tell you that the interior of this unit has held up very well. The only thing we've had to do iiside was to clean, clean, clean. The workmanship is what sold us on the Airstream vs. other mh's.

The exterior was in good shape too, needed just a good hard scrub and wax, and the application of a little sealant.

The Chevy P30 chassis, 454 engine was in good shape too. Only had 47k miles took it to the local chevy dealer who checked it out and said it was in good shape for it's age, starts great and runs strong.

Previous owner pulled a Jeep Cherokee, replaced the fridge, had some work on the levelers performed, but nothing major.

If you take care of it, it should hold it value more than other others because of the name and quality.

Now if I can just find a mirror to replace the one I (and the tree) broke.

Good luck and I hope this help a little.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I too am fairly new and spent a lot of time looking around. I think you will find Airstream will hold its value longer than a lot of the others. I paid more because it is an Airstream. My unit is a 1993 but we have to remind ourself that it is a used unit. The inside is beautiful and still looks newl. I am updating my TV to an LCD high Def unit as almost no one has kept up in this area. My Fridge has been replaced with a newer unit as has the auto-ign water heater. I belive it best to keep all gas fridges on and running or suffer the consequences. Other than that I am satisfied. I know the towing has been derated on the AS or exaggerated on other P30 units which ever way you choose to look at it.
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

04 Gas Land Yacht

We have the smallest 2003 Landyacht MH made, a 26 foot model. It has full-body paint and really looks sharp. In fact, it caught our attention last October when we were driving by the Airstream dealership in our area. We took only 2 days to decide to purchase it.

We have had Airstream trailers before (traded in our 2000 model Excella, 25 foot trailer on it), but this is our first motorhome. It takes a little while to get used to the changes. Overall, the quality is pretty good, but it has been back to the dealership several times for minor corrections. It has plenty of power, and I think only Airstream would put the 340 hp engine and Allison transmission in a unit this small. That is an example of the quality built into it.

We have used it only 8 nights so far, and those have been on 3 separate short trips. Our only concern is that it might be a little cramped when we make two-week trips in it. We probably should have moved a little slower and found a 30 or 33 foot model.

It is back at the dealership right now for leaks -- both front and rear. However, I suspect that the dealership might be responsible for those leaks. They worked on lights that were not burning and they might have failed to properly seal them after working on them.

Hope this is helpful. If you have any question, contact me at: marks@shsu.edu

Bob
Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wildtoad
[B]Jim,

Now if I can just find a mirror to replace the one I (and the tree) broke.

owners of the older classics found our mirrors at Acme Inc in ohio, they still make them! Search here and you can find that post with the phone # or fax #. Hope that helps.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:18 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get a glass kit from the manufacturer which included both the heated flat piece and convex piece for $66. I installed it and was able to remount the housing (albeit with only three of the five screws. So I now have a functioning mirror that looks fine, although any adjustments are manual. For $381 + Tax + shipping I can get a full replacement from an Airstream dealer in NC. If another tree bites me, I may get it.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

TV upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJudi
I too am fairly new and spent a lot of time looking around. I think you will find Airstream will hold its value longer than a lot of the others. I paid more because it is an Airstream. My unit is a 1993 but we have to remind ourself that it is a used unit. The inside is beautiful and still looks newl. I am updating my TV to an LCD high Def unit as almost no one has kept up in this area. My Fridge has been replaced with a newer unit as has the auto-ign water heater. I belive it best to keep all gas fridges on and running or suffer the consequences. Other than that I am satisfied. I know the towing has been derated on the AS or exaggerated on other P30 units which ever way you choose to look at it.
RonJudi, what can you tell me about the LCD TV upgrade? With the 17.5H x 19.5W opening in the dash, do you have to settle for a small LCD screen (15 or 17 inch)? Or have you found a way to mount one 20 inches or larger? Thanks
dsandrews2@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 10:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Handyman,
I've tried to contact Ron & Judy too, but no luck.
I think I saw their rig for sale on a lot a month or so ago, I'm not sure
it was theirs, but theirs looks just like mine and there's not very many of those in this part of Arkansas.
But maybe he's just been on vacation and will chime in soon.

Don
Old 07-06-2004, 03:18 PM   #9

new gas land yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge3rd
I am considering the purchase of one of the new gas Land Yachts.
Would appreciate any comments, up or down.
Handling, mountian ability, toad capable, interior workmanship,
mileage, resale.
Anything would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jim
Texas
undefinedundefinedundefined
I bought my 98 Landyacht 33' gasser a few months ago. So far....so good! I couldn't swing the $140K for a new one so found my 98 w/ 18K miles and next to new all the way around for $41K. In my opinion, there are some great deals to be found in the used market. There was a 99 33' gasser Landyacht on Ebay last week with only 13K miles. Bidding went to approx $45K but didn't reach reserve. Let someone else take the depreciation and save some$$! Unless you got the bucks, then go for the new one! Enjoy....
Bkcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #10
Jim Rogers

Jonesboro , Arkansas
ours is a 2000-30ft-gas and we love it. climbed mtns,last sept. in yellowstone,redwoods and alll around out west and back to Ar.without a single problem..got good gas mileage too. we bought it used with very little mleage on it,saved a lot over cost of new one...Jim and Phyllis
jimrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

I am Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnall
Handyman,
I've tried to contact Ron & Judy too, but no luck.
I think I saw their rig for sale on a lot a month or so ago, I'm not sure
it was theirs, but theirs looks just like mine and there's not very many of those in this part of Arkansas.
But maybe he's just been on vacation and will chime in soon.

Don
Yes Handyman and Don I am still alive although I have been busier that one man paperhanger/ Had unit in shop for minor problems and shop mouse ate cable to my rear camera viewer so spent a week diagnosing that. Gonna to have to find a spare 50 foot or so of Sony 4 connector cable and get that repaired so I can see rearward. Not much travel lately although I plan to keep unit until late fall or so as we have a New Mexico trip planned. No other to report except added new shocks and stablillizer and new engine is doing great with only about 2500 miles on her. Thanks for the thought. Ron
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
I have a 95 LY. My toad is a 96 Grand Cherokee , no problem there pulling. As for the 2004 one I think that is on a "new" work horse chassie much improved than the old P30/P37 chassie. It should have ton's of power an it should handle well. If you have looked at the "other" brands MH they use mostly Fords , a bit cheaper and slower. You can't go worng with a Chevy. As for fit and finish I feal that AS MH are in the top 1% in there class. Plus the resale is a bit better, you are buying a legend. Gas mileage bank on a 7-8 mpg avg. Good Luck
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote