Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Looking to buy a 62 Globetrotter

Hi Globetrotters!

I'm new to the Airstream scene but am considering a purchase of a 1962 Globetrotter. It's listed as usable, so I'm trying to figure out what it's worth.

is there a good resource for determining a reasonable price? How much is "too much" if it's not fully restored or renovated?

I've got the skills and the tools to work on it and I'm not afraid to do some work.

Thanks.
eternus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I used to live in Longmont. Got kinfolk there. Anyway, a 62 GT is a highly sought after trailer. If it is an ‘as is’ condition and has never been upgraded, I wouldn’t expect to pay more than 5 thousand, and that depends on the shape of the body. If original, you may have to do a full Monty on it. A total shell off and rebuild will probably cost around 20. And that’s with your free labor. It’s not a daunting task, just time consuming. Take a look at it, post some pictures and get some input. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
I used to live in Longmont. Got kinfolk there. Anyway, a 62 GT is a highly sought after trailer. If it is an ‘as is’ condition and has never been upgraded, I wouldn’t expect to pay more than 5 thousand, and that depends on the shape of the body. If original, you may have to do a full Monty on it. A total shell off and rebuild will probably cost around 20. And that’s with your free labor. It’s not a daunting task, just time consuming. Take a look at it, post some pictures and get some input. Good luck
Thanks, Longmont's a great area, I love it here.

So it sounds like it's in pretty great shape, their description is below:

This 1962 Globetrotter (19’) is partially restored and is in camping condition. Everything worked last time I used it: propane stove, heater, water system with electrical pump, toilet, 2 pull out beds, & electrical lights/pump when connected to a battery. 2 roof vents work perfectly. Some repairs and refinements are needed for the tub/shower to function, some tiles lifting & updating to solar & AC should be done. This is spacious, clean and has good storage - but it is not perfect. It was a perfect camper for my kids and I. Body & hitch are in great shape. Tires are in good shape, but age is unknown. Windows are good, some cranks have been replaced and some probably need to be replaced.

Pictures all the way around show no damage, the body, frame and hitch all appear to be in good condition. (I could upload the pics if that's helpful, but I don't want to just advertise this camper and then have someone buy it out from under me. j/k

They want $16k... I haven't tried bartering yet since I don't know what my top dollar should be.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Images attached... (not sure how they'll appear)

The rear quarter panel is the only thing that appears "off". (I have 20 images from the posting.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curb-view.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	393993   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-view.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	393994  

Name:	rear-view.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	393995   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear-quarter.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	393996  

Old 04-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Some more pictures from inside (and the quarter panel that might be a repair or might just be off color)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curb-rear-quarter.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	393997   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen1.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	393998  

Name:	kitchen2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	393999   Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen-furnace.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	394000  

Name:	galley-from-dinette.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	394001   Click image for larger version

Name:	galley-from-bathroom.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	394002  

Name:	kitchen-from-bathroom.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	394003   Click image for larger version

Name:	couch-windows.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	394004  

Name:	storage-above-couch.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	394005  
Old 04-24-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
$

I saw this posted before on the internet for sale. It appears to be a nice trailer, but no where close to the $16K they are asking for it. Based upon what I saw in the pics, there is quite a bit that needs to be restored, and that doesn't even include the hidden money pit treasures. Sorry, but I would think it should go between $5K-$8k, and for me personally based upon what it costs in Labor and Parts to bring it back to a level that would be acceptable to me, the $22K - $25K would be the additional $ you would have to fork out, unless, as you stated, you know what you are doing for the restore. Then completly restored to a high standard level, you may fetch $35K - $38K. But of course with everything, that is just my opinion. I don't want to burst your bubble, but I, personally, ... would only pay a max of $5K.

StevieB
BRN #1095
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I, personally, ... would only pay a max of $5K.
Thanks for this. Luckily, I don't have a bubble yet and $16k is not an insignificant amount. I wish it were close enough that I could see it, poke it and really look into its flaws before committing.

It looks like it is mostly fully functioning Globetrotter so I am pretty sure just about anyone is going to want at least $10k. From what I'm seeing, 5k could get an Argosy but every trailer find is $8k plus.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
More will chime in and you'll get the gamut of opinions so here's another.

Getting a decent 62 GT (this one looks decent) for $5000. these days would be unheard off, sorry Stevie B. We paid more for that for ours years ago. The smaller ones seem to allow for slightly higher prices.

I saw this add also and looked at the pictures quite closely. Lots of original parts in good shape, straight body, nice project that will turn into more than you expected and cost a bundle more. If you have the tools and skills you`ll save tons of money.

The seller admits vaguely that some things worked when they last used them. Was that anytime recent or when parked? Although we may think $16 is high, how much to high is it. It's not what we paid back when it's what the going price is now whether we would pay it or not.

Is it road worthy, is the floor soft, axels are a given. Enjoy the hunt. Colorado has a lot of vintage owners. Luke Bernander has a Airstream shop there and may be able to give you a professional opinion on current values.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is a 72 GT (longer length) that just listed in nice looking shape for only $18, in CA that should be snapped up in just a few minutes.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

The seller admits vaguely that some things worked when they last used them. Was that anytime recent or when parked? Although we may think $16 is high, how much to high is it. It's not what we paid back when it's what the going price is now whether we would pay it or not.

Is it road worthy, is the floor soft, axels are a given. Enjoy the hunt. Colorado has a lot of vintage owners. Luke Bernander has a Airstream shop there and may be able to give you a professional opinion on current values.
I'm learning a lot about Airstreams just since that ad posted (I started off looking at one much closer to home for the same price, but needing plenty of work.) I've yet to ask how flexible they are on the price, but my experience with restoring anything "vintage" is there is generally more work than you spot at a glance. If they weren't a 6 hr drive away then I'd be more interested. That being said, I also see a 71 Trade Wind thats no more than 10 miles away, so I'm reaching out to them as well. They want more, but they do at least say OBO. They also indicate that it's ready for camping and it has newer tires.

I did not like that vagueness in the Pagosa Springs either. Not sure I want to pull that thing over Wolf Creek Pass without knowing the condition of tires and brakes. The "lifted tiles" part made me suspicious of the floor. I'd hate to spend $10k+ and then have to pull the top up to completely re-floor & re-axle it.

Hopefully this local guy is flexible and I can go that route (has a front bed AND twin beds, so I wouldn't have to build bunks for the kids.)

Thanks again for your perspective! I'll look up Luke as well.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post

Getting a decent 62 GT (this one looks decent) for $5000. these days would be unheard off, sorry Stevie B.
I agree! Although prices can vary by region, so maybe they're cheaper in Colorado. In our area US$16,000 for that trailer would be a bargain, but then maybe I'm just being optimistic since I'm getting ready to sell one of mine.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Values are all over the place, even in the same area. I’ve seen trailers I wouldn’t even buy for parts (31’ 1974 with every single window smashed, and covered in dents and bad graffiti) go for $8,000 in the past 3 months, but I bought my ‘63 GT for $1400. Granted, it also needs about $40,000 in work, but it’s what I do for a living, so is relatively easy for me, and won’t cost nearly that amount out of pocket.

I personally agree with Steves assessment of $5-8,000 as being a good price based on pics, and what I know “lies beneath” on almost every trailer of this era unless they have already gone through a substantial rebuild.
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Pretty interesting to see this- We have a '64, and the GT is a great trailer, small enough to be easy to tow but large enough for two people to be very comfortable. I'd say, if the systems are old, be prepared to repair, rebuild or replace the things that "worked last time we camped". The heater in the picture is not great and weigh a ton, and it looks like the fridge is MIA. If the floor and the frame are sound, that's huge. If the axle is old, replacing it is money well spent and will provide a noticeable improvement in roadability. I had to do a shell-off replacement of our floor when I bought our GT, but it's not difficult if you're a tool-user. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
The more I look around at Airstreams of varying sizes the more I realize the absurdity of that 16k. At this point I could only justify that much for a trailer that has new axles, confirmed good floor/frame and is in at least decent enough shape that I could start using it today. I'm also looking at a 71 Tradewind for 2/3 the cost of that Globetrotter, but it has a good size dent in the back and would need new axles (tandem axle trailer.) I'm hoping to go visit it today.

The GT I mentioned in this thread is a 5 hr drive away, tire age is unconfirmed and as noted there are several missing or misleading details about the trailer. I haven't reached out to the seller to see how flexible they are on the price yet.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
I had to do a shell-off replacement of our floor when I bought our GT, but it's not difficult if you're a tool-user. Good luck!
While I am a tool user, I don't really have a place to create the gantry and if I have to go through that work... it better be a fair amount cheaper than 16k (or even 10k.) I now get the "wouldn't pay more than 5k" comment as I learn of the necessary repairs I'll be required to do in the near future.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
You don’t NEED to remove the shell to replace subfloor or repair frame members. I do it every day with shell on. I find that you can have as much trouble getting a shell back on a chassis (or more) than the trouble to do it shell-on. There are many many advantages to doing it shell on, and only a few to shell-off.

A lot of the $16k price comes from the size. 19’ is a VERY desirable size, and if it were all original, complete and in useable condition, $16,000 is actually a good price. BUT, the photos of that trailer show one that has been “molested”, is incomplete and of unknown overall condition. If the frame and shell are in great shape, with few minor dings, I’d say $10,000 or a bit more in this market is not unreasonable assuming it’s somewhat functional as is. That said,it’ll still want a total redo at some point soon.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Clarification, my comment that got the $ going was $5K-$8K range. For clarification purposes, I said that I would pay only $5K. That's just me. Y'al can pay what you want to pay. Each area of the Good Olde USA is differemt. I'm good with the amount I would fork out with reading the description and the limited pictures provided.

StevieB
BRN #1095
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:30 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I’ve done a shell on and she’ll off - both work well - you can see my shell on thread if you search 58 overlander :-)
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
So I looked at the actual ad for that trailer with enlarged pictures, and Steve’s price of $5,000 definitely looks more realistic now. That said, it’s the ONLY trailer under 21’ and under $15,000 on Airstream Classifieds at this point, so I think my “in the current market” price of $10,000 is still valid. (Current price is listed at $15k, so they have dropped it from $16k).

My guess is that it will need a lot more work that seller is saying immediately. Look at it as a project trailer, not a use now fix later deal.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Having been in the collector car industry for may years the ONE CONSTANT I have found with most buyer's looking to purchase anything Collectible/Vintage is buyer's will look all over the country for what they wish to purchase yet they are Almost Always UNWILLING BUT NOT UNABLE to personally go and personally view/inspect that Collectible/Vintage item they are wanting to purchase. Their just plain damn LAZY!

This is a BAD DECISION that results in even worse results when an uneducated/uninformed buyer buys a Collectible/Vintage item SIGHT UNSEEN from a seller that is located far away!

IF you can afford to spend $5K-$100K for a Collectible/Vintage item, you continue to look for that item outside your local area and you are Unwilling Not Unable to Travel to look at the item personally you should Abandon your Collectible/Vintage DREAM as that DREAM usually turns in to a NIGHTMARE!

"MY" experience has shown me that for every $10K you are willing to spend for your DREAM you should budget $1K for travel to go and look at items you find as a potential buy far from home. It goes without saying that you go and look at ANYTHING that pops up for sale in your local area. Looking at lot's of whatever it is you want to buy makes YOU a better and more educated buyer. IF you look at enough of whatever you want to buy you will find some poor SOB that has what you want for sale that you can buy at a price that more than makes up for the travel money you spend while looking for your DREAM.

Is it easy? NO! Does it involve TIME & EFFORT on your part? YES! Will you be handsomely rewarded for your time and effort? YES!

Like anything else in life nothing is free and easy for most folks. It takes Knowledge, Effort and MONEY to accomplish your DREAM!

The Hunt for the Silver Bullitt continues!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote