Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Black Water Tank - Waste Valve Replacement Upgrade

All,

My black water tank waste valve is leaking and seems to be a common problem with these original valves.
I couldn't find many threads regarding our specific type of original waste valve and it's removal/replacement.

VTS sells an aluminum adapter plate specifically for the Globe Trotter and Caravel black tanks. These plates allow use of the new Valterra waste valves.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-954.htm

**Original waste valve removal tips:
I ran into an issue removing the original waste valve - I wish I had photographed the process but here is a detailed description and hope it helps someone in need - A few photos below of tank valve removed, close up of 1/4" stainless bolt head/size and close up of brass fitting with threads tapped:
The 4 bolts holding the old valve to the tank brass fitting were rusted badly - I had to use my grinder to grind all 4 heads off. I then used a mallet and gently hit the valve so it would slide off the old bolt stems.
Once the old valve was off, using a wrench I was able to unscrew only 1 of the 4 bolt stems - I grounded flat the other 3 stems so they were level with the brass fitting surface.
I then drilled out the remaining 3 bold stems slowly using larger bits and careful to stay in the middle of old bolt stem protecting the brass threads on the tank fitting. Be patient and careful - **Also measure depth of hole and wrap some blue tape around your bits so you don't drill too deep**
*The 1 old bolt stem I was able to remove came in very handy so I could match the size and threads in my stainless bolt collection - Here is a photo of the bolt I used - Bolt head #'s "F 8932" which I believe is 1/4" - I used a 3" long stainless bolt and a small ratchet and carefully screwed the bolt into each hole applying pressure on bolt head and making sure the bolt was nice and straight as I screwed it into each hole tapping it out with new threads.
Real feeling of accomplishment doing this even though it did take me a couple of hours to remove tank and tap threads.

**I'll post more photos when I install the adapter and new waste valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waste tank.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	331677   Click image for larger version

Name:	waste tank 1-4 inch bolt.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	331678  

Name:	waste tank fitting.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	331679  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
UPDATE:

I went to Home Depot today and checked size of waste tank fitting bolt thread size. The size is 1/4"-20 course threads

Photo of the bolt(w/nut attached) threaded into the 1/4"-20 size chart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-4 #20 course thread.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	331725  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I had the same problem with my valve and had a machine shop make an adapter plate ( before Vintage had them) , installed it and I still had leak; found out the original valve casting was defective. I ended up cutting out the old valve and fiber glassing in a new Valterra . That did the trick no more leak.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Great idea cutting out the old brass mount and fiberglassing in a new one.

Mine is working great and no leaks but I tested it for 3 days before re-iinstalling the tank. I also replaced the tank wooden cover "box" so i can take it apart and remove tank in future. Screws are hidden with trim.

**I also removed my original hot water tank/ removed wall blocking toilet and 45 degreed the wall so there is much more room in toilet area - I replaced the door on the 45 wall with shelf above.
Redid all the copper pipe and I installed on demand hot water tank and also re-routed kitchen drain so it can drain into waste tank thru the waste vent OR drain as it did originally - I have 2 Valterra shutoff/deverter valves installed - Photos attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	332743   Click image for larger version

Name:	water drain valves.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	332744  

Old 01-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Groove- What is the brand/model of on demand unit? Is it gas and 12v or gas and 120v or?

I’m just up the 5 from you on the border at Blaine/Whiterock. I’d love to see your trailer some day post hysteria...
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote