Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I’m with you. Why build light weight and invite warpage. The poly gives it a nice luster with depth. Looks great.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
1967 22' Safari
Leawood , Kansas
Janet- thanks for the details. Did you have to have a cabinet shop help with the solid edge, or did you set up a router table and manage to leave the plywood veneer intact and slip solid stock in a routed channel. It's definitely a great move and nice look, that will likely keep your sheet goods flat. I always struggled with the cut edge of plywood showing on the edges of lap fit cabinet doors, but a euro-style look wouldn't be period correct. The lack of raw plywood edges is what I like about my '68 over my '67 is how the front end-cap storage door is much improved in '68 without it looking like a saber saw cut the side panels.
docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #63
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflyboy View Post
Janet- thanks for the details. Did you have to have a cabinet shop help with the solid edge, or did you set up a router table and manage to leave the plywood veneer intact and slip solid stock in a routed channel. It's definitely a great move and nice look, that will likely keep your sheet goods flat. I always struggled with the cut edge of plywood showing on the edges of lap fit cabinet doors, but a euro-style look wouldn't be period correct. The lack of raw plywood edges is what I like about my '68 over my '67 is how the front end-cap storage door is much improved in '68 without it looking like a saber saw cut the side panels.
It never even occurred to me that we could hire a cabinet shop for some of the finicky wood work! Doh. Next time....

The edges are biscuited and glued. Not as strong as the routed option but easier on the plywood panels as less handling and sanding is needed. The sides of the doors are veneer tape which I'm hoping will be sturdy enough to withstand occasional abrasion. Learning as we go along

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Instrument cases are bulky! Storage takes planning. Depending on the floor plan, your caravel may have deep storage bins in the front (floor) that might hold a bassoon case - maybe.

One of the coolest things I've done at a rally was jam with a French Horn player... adding woodwinds to the mix would be good fun!
I agree wholeheartedly! What do you do for music? As in the paper kind? I don't have anything memorized anymore except the UMiami fight song which used to be Dixie--now very P-inC!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Looks great Janet! Glad to see this GlobeTrotter come back to life...the mahogany is beautiful!

I also LOVE the accordion door fabric...looks very familiar! Your GT and Maxwell would have made a nice globetrotting couple!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #66
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Looks great Janet! Glad to see this GlobeTrotter come back to life...the mahogany is beautiful!

I also LOVE the accordion door fabric...looks very familiar! Your GT and Maxwell would have made a nice globetrotting couple!

Shari

You are entirely responsible for that fabric - I loved it in Maxwell!

Interestingly my DH is not a fan and so some compromise was needed. The door is 2 tone, sedate on one side. There are touches of the Quatrefoil throughout - pillows etc. It was a tussle.

On the up side, the seating ended up with a more durable option as a result; a discontinued blue green color: Maharam Trait Fog Blue, crypton backed and 100 percent nylon. I found it at Toto fabrics in 3 remnant chunks @ $4.00 per yard (deal) and it should wear like kevlar! There was the added benefit of cost savings as the yardage required for seating would have been substantial.

I have avoided adding up the cost of the soft goods but they are substantial. Seating is all latex foam, 7 inches thick, wrapped in dacron and a muslin lining. Backs are 4 inches. The side couch is 97 inches long.... the foam order was substantial. Even doing the upholstery myself costs are running somewhere in the 2K region.

It's all your fault

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Nicely done and great ideas. Next time we're up kayaking at Port Townsend, we'd love to come take a look.

I like the gray tank; takes care of 80% of the problem.

If you're looking for a project, I need the cushions in my '73 Safari covered. I can't seem to get my seamstress out of the flower beds.

Zep
Old 07-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
It's all your fault

Sorry...

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #69
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I agree wholeheartedly! What do you do for music? As in the paper kind? I don't have anything memorized anymore except the UMiami fight song which used to be Dixie--now very P-inC!

Vivian
I have a band and we have stayed pretty busy (until C-19) but at a jam, well... anything is fair game and typically folks seem to default to oldies as they are a shared knowledge set. A few years ago we had an interesting jam on Pachelbels D cannon - going around the circle carrying the melody or a variant. Then things got interesting when we started modulating by 5ths each time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post

If you're looking for a project, I need the cushions in my '73 Safari covered. I can't seem to get my seamstress out of the flower beds.

Zep
No. I sew under duress (read, too cheap to pay someone else) only... suggest you buy your seamstress some flowers as enticement. Then follow that up with boxes of bandaides, and some aspirin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Sorry...
You are forgiven - I LOVE that fabric.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 07-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I have avoided adding up the cost of the soft goods but they are substantial.
Quote:
You are forgiven - I LOVE that fabric.
Consider yourself lucky to have found remnants discounted...quality fabrics add up quickly!

Shari

Old 07-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
I have a band and we have stayed pretty busy (until C-19) but at a jam, well... anything is fair game and typically folks seem to default to oldies as they are a shared knowledge set. A few years ago we had an interesting jam on Pachelbels D cannon - going around the circle carrying the melody or a variant. Then things got interesting when we started modulating by 5ths each time around.
Wow. Sounds like you-all are way ahead of me musically. I would love to play the Pachelbel as long as there is sheet music available. I couldn't "jam" if my life depended on it, and I am into strictly Classical stuff only (as you can imagine with a bassoon!). Your band sounds great, though, and a lot of fun!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1967 17' Caravel
1974 29' Ambassador
Top of the 395 , British Columbia
Beautiful job Janet! Does your shower work with your new gray tank or just the kitchen sink? We are going to do a gray tank in our ‘63 but I want it to work with the shower too.

If you are ever looking for the accordion doors again, VTS offers them...

https://vintagetrailersupply.com/ple...door-vts-2033/
redthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #73
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
The hand held shower was a compromise but here's how it works:

Hose and hand set attach to the kitchen faucet. This is long enough to reach to the bathroom (remember - tiny trailer) which has a floor drain like a shower drain. The bathroom has a series or snaps in the ceiling that you can attach a shower curtain to (to keep the bathroom dry). The drain is plumbed into the waste line (post black tank) so can only be used when hooked up to services or possibly in a remote location, into a bucket. On a side note a 5 gal bucket is an extremely useful item to have in a trailer. I use one to hold blocks and chocks in transit and then slide it under the trailer when parked or use for an outdoor trash can.. A dark colored bucket just disappears from view in the shadow of the belly pan.

You can also run that same shower hose and handset out the kitchen window to use for dog mud emergencies or perhaps to rinse out a cooler, etc.

I have rarely used the shower in our larger trailer and so this seems like a good compromise - there is still a usable (just not very convenient) shower for those rare times it's needed.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 01-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: What a project you folks have done. The Globetrotter looks wonderful. I sure like your L shaped lounge up front. And I'm envious of your rear bath. I'm sure there are many, many hours invested. Not a cheap Airstream any more!

I'm working on a 69 Globetrotter. It has a horrible bath arrangement in my view and we plan on trying an improvement. We shall see.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Janet, hello from Colorado round two... many months ago your plans gave me the extra validation to forge ahead with the "de-bath" of our '68 Overlander... we have ended up with the kitchen sink streetside where the pull-out double bed was, porta-potti stows in the closet until needed and shower is outdoor only. We so rarely used the showers in our past trailers and we much more wanted a rear "bedroom". In our '76 Argosy I redid the bath, kept the original shower pan where it was, plumbed it into the new gray tank, shower hose came of the bath faucet with a built-in take off. Used it maybe 3 times in 3 years.
Very much like what you've done with your trailer. I've heard some of your music on-line and like it very much. We travel with guitar ('31 Martin 1-17) and mandolin.
All the best... Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #76
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

I'm working on a 69 Globetrotter. It has a horrible bath arrangement in my view and we plan on trying an improvement. We shall see.

David
On the upside - you have 21 feet to work with. The '69 had a corner bath and a rear second bed?? Are you considering moving it? Interesting project!

When we were planning this reno, I sat down and made a list of what I needed and wanted in the trailer. It was a helpful exercise and brought some clarity about what to do with the bathroom.

Social space, work space and storage for instrument cases drove many of the choices I made. Looking forward to your updates

AirForums Custom Search
Old 01-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #77
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdes8 View Post
Janet, hello from Colorado round two... many months ago your plans gave me the extra validation to forge ahead with the "de-bath" of our '68 Overlander... we have ended up with the kitchen sink streetside where the pull-out double bed was, porta-potti stows in the closet until needed and shower is outdoor only. We so rarely used the showers in our past trailers and we much more wanted a rear "bedroom". In our '76 Argosy I redid the bath, kept the original shower pan where it was, plumbed it into the new gray tank, shower hose came of the bath faucet with a built-in take off. Used it maybe 3 times in 3 years.
Very much like what you've done with your trailer. I've heard some of your music on-line and like it very much. We travel with guitar ('31 Martin 1-17) and mandolin.
All the best... Mark D
First off - thanks so much for the cabinet brackets! They were perfect and a dead match for the originals. The design of those little brackets is brilliant and they work well with light weight doors.

Changing the layout of the original was daunting undertaking but I think that use has changed a bit since these trailers were originally designed in the '60's. I had to make a decision to ignore the "keep it original" crowd and make it functional for me. In my case, the trailer was already not "original" and that simplified things a bit; still I felt slightly ill when we took out the airliner bath and couldn't find a new home for them. Good term; "de-bath"

Showers take up a lot of space and space is limited so hard choices need to be made. We had a 77 Argosy Minuet with the world smallest shower - it was not possible to stand up straight while showering as it was located in the rear corner. Only a true dirt emergency would drive me to use it. I recall using it exactly once in the years we had it. It was great space to stow guitars however.

Quote:
We travel with guitar ('31 Martin 1-17) and mandolin.
Sa-weet guitar! Perfect size for traveling.

More pics (just for good measure)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mickey_1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	386238

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mickey_2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	386239

AirForums Custom Search
Old 01-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
So the rehab is on! Not a restoration to original but a redo - to make it perfect for a weekend on solo trip.
The stick on floor tiles are removed and today the subfloor was sealed.
We are getting ready to re-do a '61 TradeWind...the subfloor needs some love. I am wondering what you used to seal the subfloor? I plan on using some penetrating epoxy to finish the sub-floor.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #79
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
We are getting ready to re-do a '61 TradeWind...the subfloor needs some love. I am wondering what you used to seal the subfloor? I plan on using some penetrating epoxy to finish the sub-floor.
Good choice on the epoxy imo. We also did this - top and bottom (and after replacing a small section of floor in the bathroom).

AirForums Custom Search
Old 01-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Good choice on the epoxy imo. We also did this - top and bottom (and after replacing a small section of floor in the bathroom).
Can you share with me the brand/type of epoxy you used and a supplier? I am finding lots of info online, but can't determine the best product to use.

I like one that says it can be thinned with thinner to make it soak in even better.

I believe that probably 80% of my subfloor is solid...the rear is toast, and the front may be OK.

Tags
1964, 1964 globetrotter