Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #21
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
Question

I thought is what I had, but it turns out to be 4 1/2 with four screw holes. I called inland rv and they said no longer available.
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester
I thought is what I had, but it turns out to be 4 1/2 with four screw holes. I called inland rv and they said no longer available.
Julia: Is there any brand name, model name or numbers stamped into the metal trim ring that might help identify the light you have in the trailer? Signal Stat made lights that used a 4-3/8" diameter plastic lens with 4 screws called their "SigStat" line. Their lights that used a 4" diameter plastic lens with 4 screws was their "Acrystat" line. Could you post a photo of the light or trim ring for which you are trying to find a plastic lens? Just because they are no longer available at one dealer does not mean one cannot be found with further effort. But first you have to know just what you're looking for. We need more data.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #23
JLester

1962 19' Globetrotter
Canyon Creek , Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to jlester
I will take a picture of the light on Friday and post it. Thanks.
Julia
jlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Hi to all you fellow 62 GT owners, Just picked one up in Michigan, took it directly to Elkart IN, to Axis products for a new axle. Very happy with the job they did. They gave me back one of the original shock absorbers, which was nothing more the a steel rod. no flex whatsoever. If your shocks are original replace them at once. If they dont take up the shock your tires are the only absorbers you have. My interior is just as discribed earlier. Floor needs work don't know just yet how much?? I'm giving serious thought to rebuilding everything from the closets forward, including the kitchen and both gouchos.
If I raise the gouchos to get more storage under them it would be a nice improvement.
Two stacked drawers every place there is now only one. How much has to come out depends on the final floor inspection. Best to all.
stagecoachbill
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:30 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Globetrotter 1962

Hi All
New to the site and its my first post. Forgive me if I mess it up at all...

I am in England and recently purchased a 1962 Globetrotter. I have named her mollie

My first Airstream and I'm new to trailers of any description.... looking for any advice or contacts that will help me recognise what I have, restore her sensibly and make her comfortable for use within the standards of today.
Would appreciate any contacts or pointers to start my journey on a good foot.

Many Thanks

Connie
Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #26
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums Connie.

In order to start any journey properly, we first must determine our starting point and where we want to end up. Let's start at the beginning. Tell us about this new-to-you 62. Can you post any pictures? They really help along with descriptions. We can go from there. Tons of assistance is gladly offered on this site.

Brad
FF

P.S.: You did great on your first post. Keep 'em coming.

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
62 19 ft globetrotter

hello there , i have a 62 globetrotter and read your post. my mom is from mitchum surrey england and lewes sussex. first e mail me before i go on if you see my message or post reply.thanks wayne wunder
I guess I've downloaded some pictures! They were the ones that I saw immediately before I purchased so they were not actually taken by me but are a fair representation of her current condition.
I believe she is an Ohio model in quite good and genuine condition. I am hoping to make as few changes as possible but I would like to sort out the following issues
* There is some very dodgy woodstain that has been liberally added to one or two areas. I am intending to do a little gentle sanding at the weekend and may have to gently bleach back the wood and veneer to get the best chance of an overall colour match
* The knobs are missing from Carlsen Heater, I would like to trace replacements. I believe it is original and may be a 12m model
* The Dometic fridge also seems original. The bottom of the door is rusty, the interior has a few cracks and the catch is missing from the freezer door. The fridge needs new door seals
* The bathroom basin enamel is chipped in one corner. I would like to seal this and make it a little more presentable and hygenic.
* The toilet is yellowed and sun damaged. The toilet seat seems to have been painted. The finish will need to be taken back and refinished or painted as the condition is poor and a little tired!
* The shower/bath unit is yellowed, has a few shallow gouges and a few small fine cracks forming around the handle area. I would like to repair the cracking areas and perhaps paint the tray to improve its appearance.
* There is an extraction fan above the cooker, it is a little rusty and needs some kind of attention, I am as yet not sure what to do about this one.
* I would like to look into reinstating the air conditioning and the music system both of which are missing.
* I have a concertina door with a little damage to the bottom of the first panel, not sure if this is original, I need to check this somehow and maybe replace it with a curtain if it is a later addition.
* There is a curious space in the cupboard area above the dinette from which something was obviously removed. There is a small external viewing panel and some wires within the cupboard... as yet a puzzle

There will be a little general cosmetic work to the decoration and practical updating regarding such things as forming a suitable gas bottle compartment, the electrics, installing a transformer and battery charger.. etc, also I need new door seals.

I would be grateful for any practical ideas regarding suppliers or best practice for any of the above aspects of the project.
I am in England so the brand names often differ, a description of the product would be useful if available.

Of course I have no manuals...lol

Does anyone have any cool ideas that will keep her as pure as possible but make her comfortable using todays technology.
Also views on how much is too much before I spoil her

Rather a lot for a second post.... I'm eager to get started and very curious as to where she has been for 43 years and her adventures

Many thanks for any practical advice and contacts that may be forthcoming
Sharon[/quote]
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
62 19 ft globetrotter

hello there , its been a while since i have visited this site and finally regiistered again with a new e mail address. post a reply to let me know your still out there , thanks, wayne wunder

Quote:
Say, just bought one here in Minneapolis. Not sure we have the right tow vehicle for our Globetrotter? Do you know how much yours weigh? And, Wayne, how do I get an owners manual?
Looking forward to more chatting!
Many thanks in advance for your help!!!
Elizabeth
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 AM   #29

Smile I have a 1962 19" Globetrotter

I live in the Uk. nice to meet you!
Louise
skweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #30
crowboy

1962 19' Globetrotter
1969 29' Ambassador
1964 24' Tradewind
Amherst , Massachusetts
I'm in Massachusetts & have a Globetrotter from North Carolina by way of Georgia- wife & I have been restifying it for a cople of years- I'll try & get some pics together CB Rollins
crowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #31
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
i have a 62 trotter as well! mine's a MAJOR project, though. you can see the progress i've made here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ect-27501.html

my plan is to restore this one vintage-styled, and restore my 18 footer in a really modern look. one for each mood! ha!

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags