Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thumbs up '63 Safari - It 'Bee' Traded (#8671)

Just wanted to let everyone know that Rob and I have come to an agreement and my wife and I will be trading our 66 Overlander for his #8671 (the 63 safari caravan trailer being converted to mobile Bee educational unit).

We will be spending the next several weeks preparing the overlander to specs we have been working on to further help his grant process, along with several repairs/upgrades for it to be ready to go south. Before the end of the month we plan to drive the 12 hours (each way) to deliver the Overlander and bring the Safari back home.

Though a lot of concern has been raised I wanted to say the following:

Joe (66Overlander) has been an amazing advocate for this trailer, and it likely would not have the same fate had he not been involved in finding individuals to work out a deal.

Rob (current owner) - His educational ideas are outstanding (as were/are his intentions), and can't wait to see what he does with our Overlander and the many kids and adults that will be enlightened as a result of it. He has been great to work with and we greatly appreciate his willingness to change directions in the middle of his grant to preserve this amazing piece of history.

Various Forum Members - to the forums members that have offered free parts to the masses and have in turn sent or were preparing to send parts to us for the overlander, thank you. I'll be contacting those members offering the parts back, or offering to in turn offer them for free for someone else. A list of free parts given to us by forum members (that they don't want back) as well as a long laundry list of parts from the Overlander we'll be giving away will be posted as soon as the safari rests in our driveway. We want to offer these items to contributing members of the forums for all the advise and encouragment we've received on the tradewind and in this adventure.

Some items we removed from the Overlander will be sold via Ebay to try to offset the Overlander upgrades to prepare the deal and the cost of driving to California and back (afterall my airstream account was already negative for this month before this all started).

What is to become of 8671? We plan to store it for the next year while we pay off the cost of the deal and a few other projects around the house, then plan a shell-off restoration that will return it to as close to the original as possible (Utilizing photos etc from Joe's article etc).

Thanks again, and as soon as we get it on the road we'll post photos of the process.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Way to go for steping up and saving this historic trailer. It is great to see this story will have a happy ending. This forum is an amazing resource, and you and your wife are great for taking this on!
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Can't wait to see - we need to see pictures. Great Job
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I am the wife of "goransons" (Scott) and I just wanted to also say how wonderful this forum is. It is amazing to have so many people step forward willing to save this piece of Airstream history. I'm looking forward to this new project and I'm sure that Scott will keep you posted on our progress.
69Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Great!!!

A great project that I look forward to following.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
That is fantastic, I look forward to seeing the trailer at a VAC get together.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
Good for you! I was hoping someone from this board would make a deal to get that piece of history turned in the right direction. I look foreward to seeing your progress when the project gets started.
Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Congratulations! Im glad you pulled it together. Im down this way should you need any help.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that Rob and I have come to an agreement and my wife and I will be trading our 66 Overlander for his #8671 (the 63 safari caravan trailer being converted to mobile Bee educational unit).

We will be spending the next several weeks preparing the overlander to specs we have been working on to further help his grant process, along with several repairs/upgrades for it to be ready to go south. Before the end of the month we plan to drive the 12 hours (each way) to deliver the Overlander and bring the Safari back home.

Though a lot of concern has been raised I wanted to say the following:

Joe (66Overlander) has been an amazing advocate for this trailer, and it likely would not have the same fate had he not been involved in finding individuals to work out a deal.

Rob (current owner) - His educational ideas are outstanding (as were/are his intentions), and can't wait to see what he does with our Overlander and the many kids and adults that will be enlightened as a result of it. He has been great to work with and we greatly appreciate his willingness to change directions in the middle of his grant to preserve this amazing piece of history.

Various Forum Members - to the forums members that have offered free parts to the masses and have in turn sent or were preparing to send parts to us for the overlander, thank you. I'll be contacting those members offering the parts back, or offering to in turn offer them for free for someone else. A list of free parts given to us by forum members (that they don't want back) as well as a long laundry list of parts from the Overlander we'll be giving away will be posted as soon as the safari rests in our driveway. We want to offer these items to contributing members of the forums for all the advise and encouragment we've received on the tradewind and in this adventure.

Some items we removed from the Overlander will be sold via Ebay to try to offset the Overlander upgrades to prepare the deal and the cost of driving to California and back (afterall my airstream account was already negative for this month before this all started).

What is to become of 8671? We plan to store it for the next year while we pay off the cost of the deal and a few other projects around the house, then plan a shell-off restoration that will return it to as close to the original as possible (Utilizing photos etc from Joe's article etc).

Thanks again, and as soon as we get it on the road we'll post photos of the process.
Scott,
Congratulations on your deal! I am just glad I could help out in a small way, but it was really you and Rob that figured out how to make this a deal. I only only got the two of you in contact with each other.

It certainly sounds like both of you are getting something out of this deal - You a trailer with history and Rob a trailer that will be easier to convert for his educational purpose. Both of you are great people with great plans for your trailers. This deal sure sounds like a win-win to me.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds like Scott is going to be a busy bee!

Yeah! I'm so glad this has a happy ending!

I look forward to the rebirth of 8671 & the awesome future it has come spring!

Now we can all bee happy!

Shari
Attached Images

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yeah, good news! I hope we get a chance to see that piece of history at a NW forum rally someday

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
This a clear case of "karma" being more fitting than "thank". I look forward to following your progress of restoring your new trailer, hope you start a blog. Maybe you could encourage Bob to start a thread documenting his progress and plans.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I thank you for your efforts to preserve this piece of Airstream history.

Regarding extra parts you might have, the Ross trailer 6472 I am caretaker for is mostly there but some of the interior fixtures are really showing their age. In particular the pair of light sconces, clockface and stovetop come to mind.

As far as I know there are 3 ASs accounted for from the Round the World Caravan; yours, mine and one other that another Forums member is watching over. Anyone know of any other lurkers?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, Scott, I am on vacation in seattle but would like to help you out some how as you stepped up to do this...

Do you have a paypal account... I would like to send some money to help with gas for your trip to make the trade...

Its great that you stepped up to do this and save a bit of AS history... THANK YOU>>>
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Jason, we're speechless, thank you for the offer. Thanks again for your help. I'll send you a PM. Did spend the day getting the 66 closer to ready, still have another 3-4 days of work to have it ready, but made good progress.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Update:

The overlander is licensed, I'm down to just a couple hours of little projects and it is ready for the treck to Rob's. New window glass, New rubber, brakes, all new wiring, new insulation, reinstalled skin, patched openings, new exterior lights, and we're getting the maps out.

Week from Friday she comes home. thanks to all that have offered/given help.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Impressive very impressive. I hope Bob realizes what a deal he is getting. Can you encourage him to stop in and let us know more about his plans and progress.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
I, too, am happy to see that this piece of Airstream history is being preserved, and that both parties seem to be getting a more-than-satisfactory resolution.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thumbs up Here we go!

Going to celebrate thanksgiving tomorrow, get some sleep and roll out very early AM on Friday (while everyone else goes shopping). The Overlander is ready for Rob, he's got everything loaded for us down there.

Thanks to those along the route that have offered assistance. Hopefully we won't need it, but we have your contact info just in case. Lastly, we hope to have some photos up by mid-day Saturday.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here's some karma for your trip! Hope it all goes smoothly!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari