Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1960 - 1965 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #801
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
We've tried the "red oak" minwax finish on some scrap and its just too dark....Anyone got any photos of red oak cabinets they've stained that we could compare with?
Scott,

Our '63 is and was originally stained with "pickled oak" which is like a faint white wash. You can see photos in this blog post of the drawers I stained to match after I re-veneered them.

BTW, if you find the counter edging you bought from VTS is not as perfect a match to the original as you thought, I have a 250ft roll of the stuff that I used which I think is a better match for the '63s.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #802
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I may take you up on that edging if things don't appear like I think they do. VTS doesn't have a very good picture of what I ordered. I had also checked out the many pages of Outwater plastics but hadn't seen anything close. I looked at your blog. I'm not sure ours had the pickled oak color or not. I looked at all airstream's paperwork online and in 63 they don't list their wood options.

Steve do you have any pictures showing the process of how you acheived that finish? What products you used etc?

Vaughan, I'm going to try your suggestion on a scrap and see what I get!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #803
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My '67 Trade Wind had the pickeled finish on what looks like Ash. I sanded the pickeled finish off on the most obvious places and refinished clear. The improvement was huge! I tend to like the natural color of most woods better than stained or pickeled finishes anyway. They usually go through a process of developing deeper and richer colors as they age, but it's more a process of months rather than years.

I just got a 25' roll of Cove Cabinet Welt from VTS. I am going, when it gets a little warmer, to redo the bath and galley (best photo I have that shows the color of the current top and the cove welt) counter tops to match the tops I made for the credenza and table. The original cove welt is what VTS is calling Vanilla, but I got the Carmel to more closely match the Wilsonart Deepstar Mineral laminate.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #804
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
photos

Here is a photo of the table so far. All original cleaned up, contact paper removed, glue removed, cleaned and waxed. I'm happy with the results.

Does anyone in their 63 redo's have an extra table leaf with the original laminate laying around? I know (since I had to repair every single one) that the table slides are long enough to accept a 2nd leaf.

With a family of 4 I know we'll need it. Worst case, I have pieces of the edging from the kitchen counter, and I might make one from a contrasting color for meal time.

Bathroom Vanity is back together, ready for vineer when it arrives. New Shelf, cleaned up counter top and sink, with the spud all reseated, sink reinstalled after a very deep cleaning. All the frame joints have been sanded, glued and screwed back together. Much stronger than the original staples they used.

Tried some clear on the oak, too light, as was the golden oak I had laying around. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'm going to pick up some wood conditioner and try that before the red oak stain and see if that gives me a warm color without soaking in too much.

Other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	119453   Click image for larger version

Name:	sink.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	119454  

Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #805
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Tried some clear on the oak, too light, as was the golden oak I had laying around. Next time I'm at the hardware store I'm going to pick up some wood conditioner and try that before the red oak stain and see if that gives me a warm color without soaking in too much.

Other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
You shouldn't need wood conditioner on a wood as hard as oak. It's really made for softer woods that absorb stains inconsistantly. Pecan stain on oak is an option that I've used a number of times. It'll give you a nice warm even tone on the varieties of oak they often use together. You'll be surprised how much Pecan stain actually looks like it's really oak.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #806
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scott, I suspect your oak was not pickled. I think it was a brown tone similar to the ones in my 62. A close match would be hard to guess on. I suggest you open the yellow pages and find a custom cabinet company near you and pay their finishing department a visit. You will probably find a guy more than willing to help you find a very close match.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #807
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Frank for the picture, I think that too was close to the color. I went to Lowes and bought one of every color stain that looked remotely close. Carol wins the prize, both my wife and I liked the pecan stain by Cabot (NOT the pecan stain by Minwax which was way too dark brown) which very closely resembles Frank's link. Now Frank, what would the airstream cabinet master recommend to go over that Cabot stain?

That's the good news. I found today the original cast brass P-trap that was under the sink was rotted out (after I spent about 45 minutes cleaning it) I found a pin hole leak in it. No biggie though, I'll just use either ABS fittings. The other not so good news was that I discovered of the 3 original faucets I was only able to make one usable unit. Turns out all the 63 fixtures are the same body, so that's what I'm looking for. I have a good Lav spout.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #808
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scott, the materials I use are ML Campbell. They are used by the professional cabinet trade. They are all solvent based and frowned upon by people who worry about VOCs and nasty fumes. Catalyst, hardeners, and thinners are all used. Once again, go find a cabinet shop. All the guys working there will be very into your project and will hook you up with the good stuff. Cash and beer will go a long way in a cabinet shop.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #809
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Wow close call!!

Went to go get it from the storage yard and found it pushed off its blocks, tongue on the ground. Someone had backed into it, pushed it back 2-3' and pushed it off the blocks. Think it would have gone further but the boot hit the belly pan and frame. Bounced hard enough that it popped lose one jelousie window pane and I ended up with some popped floor tiles under the window from the moisture.

Did some investigating and no frame damage, a little dented up belly pan from the boot, but fixable. Window is fixed, floor is next. I have test fitted the dinette sections and as soon as I do the final coat of finish they are ready to go into place and I can start on the kitchen area. Pics to follow.

Reported it today to the storage yard, but no footage of who did it. I'm certain it was the trailer next to it, glad there was no panel damage or frame damage.

Good news though, getting both dinette couches, table, water tank cover and bathroom vanity into the trailer allowed me to clean my garage and I found the table leaf I was missing.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #810
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Scott,

Everything is looking great! I'm happy to hear that there was no damage.

I think I can help you out with an original '63 bathroom faucet. Both of my faucets, bathroom & kitchen, out of my Globetrotter are the same & I'm going to replace them both. I'd like to keep one as a spare for my '61 Overlander bathroom faucet, it's the same as the ones in my '63GT. I'll check my store room at work tomorrow & let you know.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #811
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
That is a close call... Glad there was no permanent damage.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #812

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pearl
Scott, just a thought, you could use vintage contact paper on the counter-top. It was in style in 1963.
TT just loves contact paper . It's a great option to consider!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #813
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I've never removed so much contact paper ever in my life. If it was flat it had CP on it everywhere in this thing. Thanks for all the feedback, would love to buy that faucet off you if you come across one. It has been snowing and raining all week so haven't got much wood work done. Need to go pick up my sheets of vineer to finish the dinette but can't do it until its dry enough outside I can get it home without screwing it up. Hopefully tomorrow will have some sunshine!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #814
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback, would love to buy that faucet off you if you come across one.
Got it! Let me get it out of the countertop tonight. It is the same as the one on my kitchen sink. Sorry, the insert is missing on my refrigerator (PO put contact paper on it), plus, it does not cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'63 GT Bathroom sink.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	123545  
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #815
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
OOOH contact paper in yours too? lucky you! Actually I have to confess I would probably not have been able to salvage the dining room table had it not been contact papered. We really wanted, even with lots of character to use that table because of all the people that sat around it. Fortunately we have managed to do so, and also the bathroom vanity top. The kitchen was perfect before it was hacked out during the gut job for the bee trailer. I did find an off white laminate that is so close people shouldn't be able to tell.

I'm guessing I'll be making an insert eventually for a modern fridge. Some sign aluminum and some vinyl cut will recreate it pretty close. But will continue to look for awhile. I've checked with regional RV refrigerator rebuilders and nobody will touch one that old, even if I pay for a one-off build. I suppose anything that old the plastics are brittle and the gaskets are pretty well worn or hardened anyway.

Let me know what I owe you for the faucet and shipping! Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #816
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:

Let me know what I owe you for the faucet and shipping! Thanks again for the help!
I'll take a cold beer (local from the Northwest) if/when we meet up on the road somewhere. I do want to see in person the finished project. Just PM me your address, glad I can help.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #817
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scott, a suggestion... You should find a panel somewhere and have all those that contributed to your project sign it. I am doing this with all those that helped out on the Double Door project. We have a second door with in the door to use, but you might think about something like this.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #818
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Frank for once, I'm actually one step of ahead of you (it was bound to happen once). I've been keeping track of that since day one on my blog and plan to do just that in the trailer as well. Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #819
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Rick & JJ, do you guys still have that contact papered refrigerator? If you do, I'm wondering if you might be able to take me a measurement of the rough opening it needs, and the full width and height of the face frame.

Also, if anyone remotely close to us (central Washington) has a pair of aluminum propane tanks (used) for sale let us know. Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #820
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:

I'm guessing I'll be making an insert eventually for a modern fridge. Some sign aluminum and some vinyl cut will recreate it pretty close. But will continue to look for awhile. I've checked with regional RV refrigerator rebuilders and nobody will touch one that old, even if I pay for a one-off build. I suppose anything that old the plastics are brittle and the gaskets are pretty well worn or hardened anyway.
We have an original 1962 110v electric refigerator -- non functional -- you are welcome to it if you want it.
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari