Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #621
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
Scott, these photos are really incredible. I've been looking forward to your posts everyday. Thanks so much for making these available for everyone.

Norm
Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #622
3 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1960 24' Tradewind
Yakima , Washington
Diary

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I was unable to post these to the server I planned to. Space issues were too limited. In the meantime you can find the photos here. I plan to organize them better, into seperate galleries by country, but enjoy. If you wish to use them for anything other than your own enjoyment (publications etc) please let me know and I'll get you in contact with the family for their blessing.

Around the World Caravan Photos by the Tolles pictures by sgoranson - Photobucket

I'm still uploading as I post this, about 300 of the 800 photos uploaded at full resolution, will likely take a few hours.
Scott when are you going to get the diary posted? It will be great to read about the places in the photos. I'm sure the diary will be as good as the pictures. It's early, so keep up the good work.
H
range or parts
Dometic 50 or parts
flyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #623
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Scott, love the pictures. thank you for posting them for all to enjoy. Also thanks to the Tolles family for sharing their history.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #624
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
These are great!!

1. Glad you were able to recover most of your data. Get that stuff backed-up.
2. Even more thrilled to see all of the photos. I'm heading to PhotoBucket right now and if they're anything like the four shown here, my hats off to you. Thanks also go to the Tolles family. I'll be perusing these for a long time.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #625
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Mary wasn't comfortable publishing the diary, but did give me about a half of an inch thick of copies of portions of the diary, newspaper articles, and paperwork from the caravan. I'll be posting those as PDF's a little at a time as I get a chance to scan them in, I got them as hard copies only.

Today I'm working on creating backups of everything they recovered at the computer shop...
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #626
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Scott,

Just a thought about the recovery process. There are some folks who are really good at this and others who are outstanding. If what you've lost is not critical then fine but if there are things you really want to get back it may not hurt to ask around the computer stores to determine if there is someone noted as being the best in your area. That may be who you have already used but just in case. As always, there is a financial aspect to it, but just looking at what you have posted/recovered it would be a shame to have lost anything you think was important.

I join the others in thanking you for posting this information. It is really fun to look at what things were like in the past.

Barry
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #627
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
I was unable to post these to the server I planned to. Space issues were too limited. In the meantime you can find the photos here. I plan to organize them better, into seperate galleries by country, but enjoy. If you wish to use them for anything other than your own enjoyment (publications etc) please let me know and I'll get you in contact with the family for their blessing.

Around the World Caravan Photos by the Tolles pictures by sgoranson - Photobucket

I'm still uploading as I post this, about 300 of the 800 photos uploaded at full resolution, will likely take a few hours.
Scott, lots of great pictures of my trailer on your photobucket page ... thanks much! I wonder if the Tolles and the Rosses were close friends?
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #628
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The Tolles

Love the Tolles' photos. I haven't gotten through them all yet but was wondering if they are in any of the pictures. Do you know Scott? Any of these couples? Maybe PeeWee could point them out if he's still posting. If not any of these, then maybe these couples could be identified. Sure be cool to put faces and names together.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	94282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	94283  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #629
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I'm pretty sure (though hair glasses etc changed throughout the caravan that they are the right photo from your post.. here's one I know for sure is both of them.. (one of my favorites too)

Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #630
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is a great photo and if you're sure that's them, then it looks like its the couple on the left of the first photo. Maybe not her but its certainly Cecil on the left. Maybe Mary is taking the photo and that's why there's two and a half couples.

I gotta get me one of those pith helmets.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #631
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Last 36 hours have been just pounding nonstop rain. Midmorning it stopped, and upon inspection I had the same leaks front and back from above the windows.

What I think:

Up front I was able to pull back the fiberglass and get a look above the window. The center panel on the exterior end cap (7 panels) in actuality could be about 3 inches wide, because the other panels nearly meet, barely an inch between them, but the rivet line is several inches over. Somewhere up the seam water is getting between the panels and running out this area. I hadn't sealed the end cap seams yet up front, and there is some evidence they did that before, so think that if I clean those seams up and take care of those, it may resolve my issue above that window.

Rear window:

The water is coming from higher up, because the insulation is damp, but it is limited to just to the curbside of the center point. About a foot above my fingertips there are a few rivets that look like they went in crooked at some point and I can see under the edge (thickness of a razor blade) so I think I'll drill those 4 out and replace them, and see if that is contributing. It is amazing how small a source can let in so much water. After 36 hours of rain, the water I got in wet the floor about the size of a dinner plate in back, and maybe about a 6" diameter puddle up front. But frustrating none-the-less. After the rivets I'm hoping to get Wally to come over and help me do a hose check and look for signs of water.

As soon as I finish zolatone, get my license stuff in the mail, and can afford my new tires I'll tow it down (about 90 minutes away) and get the trailer pressure tested and figure out where all of them are.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #632
Rivet Master

I had some hard to find leaks coming from loose rivets in the ceiling, on the curbside next to the ceiling vent. You can't even see them sometimes until the water is balling on them. You might have more of these show up once you start moving the Safari down the road again. One of mine leaked in between the overlapping panels and ran out from between the seams inside, so I sealed the seam from the outside with vulkem and it still leaked! Thats when I started inspecting rivets too. The one that I removed was cut halfway through by the action of the panels shifting over time.
What a pain!
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #633
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
No time this week to do airstream work. Did receive yesterday in the mail the title from the State of Washington which makes my 63 Washington State trailer plate official. Next plate has to get repainted, then ready to roll again!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #634
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
milestone!

I wish I would have tracked total hours removing paint, but I'd guess I'm in the neighborhood of 40 hours, but the interior is all stripped/sanded and ready for the little details before zolatone.

My punchlist now:

install then remove the fresh water tank, making sure all the mounting holes fit correctly for the fill.

repaint, then install the furnace, including outside original cover

install new black tank (predrill all holes, mock up trim make sure everything fits)

reinstall tub, make sure all holes line up (since this lower panel was replaced).

Finish installing window trim, and replacing any missing rivets

clean, clean, clean, then mask and away we go! If my week at work doesn't get to crazy, I may be ready by this weekend, weather permitting. Today was great, upper 40's DRY outside, but as I speak its snowing believe it or not, so who knows.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #635
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Great news on the '63 plate and congrats on having her just about ready to roll, Scott.

I envy you being done with stripping--do not think I ever will be.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #636
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Goodies from Frank's Trailer Works

Received a package from Frank's Trailer Works yesterday, and another today. First one yesterday included a very cool post card from the around the world caravan, the second, a much bigger box included an astrodome screen that will actually fit (how many different sized frames did they make with square corners!?!) and a new-old-stock antenna mount to replace the one outside.

Thanks Frank! Hope I can help you down the road!

Those of you tracking my leak issues I now have at least reduced the flow, but not stopped it. About 12 hours of mixed rain and snow (then total melt-off), and the leaks are as follows:

1. Rear window, water is coming straight down the fiberglas on the endcap, center segment, so I need to get back up on the roof and check those seams and rivets, this time hitting all the rivets too. I hope the weather clears in the next few days to facilitate that. Total water received in the back, I'd guess a table spoon or two total (including what is still on the end cap surface)

2. Front window, straight down center, weeping out the from under the overlap on the skins, so I know its either at the top where the endcap meets the bow #1, or the rivets and/or seams of the center segment. Less water here than in the back, so its something small.

3. Water leak at the refrigerator vent, can see that the colar needs to be sealed to the skin above, and the riveted seam on the colar itself. Will need to pull the trailer out when I do the furnace and will tackle that at the same time. This one should be pretty straight forward.

4. Passanger side rear-most bow. Water coming down in the endcap. End cap to seam to the bow area is not resealed yet, ran out of weather, plus patio awning rail is lose, and suspect that rivet is pulled lose. This is the biggest leak at this point, about a saucer sized wet spot on the floor.

Progress but need more warm dry weather to do more sealing. For now the water is pretty limited and other than some water stains on the floor here or there isn't doing any significant damage (I'm keeping the air moving with a fan and heat in the trailer to dry things out quickly).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5589.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	94786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5598.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	94787  

Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #637
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Daleville , Alabama
62 parts.

your list includes, bathroom heat register cover. can you discribe it please as we took the complete bathroom out of our 62 overlander today and do not intend to keep any of it. Susan
Bo&Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #638
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Vent

The only picture I have that remotely shows where it goes was given to me by another forums member. If you look at the tank under the toilet, just to the right as you see it in the picture you can see a dark square where the tank makes the 90 back towards the cabinet. That's where the heat duct comes through. Cover is roughly the size of a postcard or so.

Thanks for checking! Looking forward to following your project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	waterheaterdetail2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	94803  
Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #639
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
The only picture I have that remotely shows where it goes was given to me by another forums member. If you look at the tank under the toilet, just to the right as you see it in the picture you can see a dark square where the tank makes the 90 back towards the cabinet. That's where the heat duct comes through. Cover is roughly the size of a postcard or so.

Thanks for checking! Looking forward to following your project.
Scott, do you have the measurement for that vent opening?

I removed mine and won't be using it since I will not have any forced air heating in my trailer, but since our bathroom configurations are different, I'm not certain we'd have the same size on this piece. If mine fits, you're welcome to it.

For reference, this is what the opening on my black tank shroud looked like:

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #640
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Marcus, thanks for checking into it. The rough opening of the vent is 3x5", would presume it overhangs 1/2 inch all the way around, but don't know for sure.

Thanks!

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari