Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #921
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Well not much of an update, life has been crazy the last few weeks. Won a teacher of the year award for the area, received the award, then found out 48 hours later that most of our program was being cut, so been fighting that with every ounce of extra time on that.

Did want to mention we have sold the 69 tradewind, we just couldn't afford to keep two around, as much as we've enjoyed it we've decided to get the money out while we could and use that to update our kitchen in the house, which is needless to say not in it's prime after 80 years of use. That project will hopefully kick off later this summer.

It hasn't been picked up yet but will be leaving the pacific northwest and headed to New York sometime in early June.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #922
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I pulled the original stove out of my 1960. I will check to see if it is the same type. It looked pretty good but it is in parts at the moment.

Here is a pic

Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #923
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is a Princess stove just like the one in my TradeWind. Same color too before I switched it out to white door and stovetop.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #924
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I recently sent Scott a box with the stove door, burners, chrome bits and pieces etc off my 63 Tappan.... I think the only thing he still needs is the back piece of countertop trim (that the cutting board slides into). It went parcel post USPS - Scott so keep an eye out for it! And I apologize in advance some of those Chrome pieces were pretty gunky. I felt totally silly wrapping them up in bubble wrap like they were a treasure or something!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:33 PM   #925
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I felt totally silly wrapping them up in bubble wrap like they were a treasure or something!
I'm sure to Scott they are treasures.

Scott - let us know how this is all shaping up. I know getting the stove / cooktop replaced with another original Tappan was a big issue for you.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #926
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Shelly & Peter. I'm excited to get it back together. The new stove insulation arrived today so I can start to put the oven back together. Life has been complicated this month so haven't got much done but still hope to be on track to be done by the end of June. After next week I hope things get more back to normal.

As Brad mentioned, very much treasures!!! Thanks again! Sorry for the slow response, you've probably noticed we haven't been on the forums much lately. Selling the 69, and lots of work issues have been eating up the days!
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #927
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Thanks Shelly & Peter. I'm excited to get it back together. The new stove insulation arrived today so I can start to put the oven back together. Life has been complicated this month so haven't got much done but still hope to be on track to be done by the end of June. After next week I hope things get more back to normal.

As Brad mentioned, very much treasures!!! Thanks again! Sorry for the slow response, you've probably noticed we haven't been on the forums much lately. Selling the 69, and lots of work issues have been eating up the days!
Scott,

Although most of us would love a daily update we realize you have others thing in your life, ie... wife, two kids, job... Just be assured we are here when you are ready.

Everything is looking great!

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #928
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I've got to thank Shelly for the parts which arrived last night. Tomorrow after work I hope to start the reassembly of the stove. I do have to replace the oven gas line. The original, oddly enough was aluminum, and after years of it rubbing against the the galvanized outer skin, it just crumbled. Going to replace with soft copper. Shelly's parts should only need some polishing, the minor rust areas I think will buff off just fine.

As she did point out I'm looking for the back counter top trim to that open area where the cutting board shuts. I have the two side pieces already, although they definately have "character".

Shelly, Thank you, thank you thank you!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #929
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
You're very welcome Scott! See ya down the road....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #930
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Bad news, little to no progress lately. Good news most of my 3 day weekend is dedicated to getting the propane system up and running.

Today the stove was reassembled. I need to do a pressure check on all the fittings etc and make sure it's together to stay, but new insulation throughout and everything cleaned up. Have some chrome left to polish and install and then it's into place hopefully just once. Water heater goes in tomorrow and hopefully the rest of the gas lines too. Pictures to follow soon.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #931
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Today was the first work day back on the trailer in awhile. Finishing up the school year has taken it's toll on getting ready for the rally. It won't be done, but it will be functional (I hope!) Today Megan finished sewing shut all the dinette cushions, while watching the kids.

Weather sucked here, but still managed to get the screens redone, and a ton of little projects including a new toilet flange attached to the black tank and new toilet installed, counter T-moulding slots cut and moulding installed, propane regulator and bracket cleaned up and new hoses installed (still have to run the new lines), new seats and washers in all the faucets and finished stripping and painting the step and back bumper.

Still tons to do. Monday I hope to get all the propane lines run and functioning, and drop the rims off at the powder coater. Megan will be starting on the curtains then too. Still have plumbing lines to run too and a few windows to reweather strip. Tons to do but will be usable, but not a show piece by any means!

I also received a box of parts this week, a few more stove parts I needed to finish up, the bathroom register (woohoo!!!) and a better kitchen faucet neck. We're getting close! Thank you Marie Chrisman for the parts!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #932
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
More progress today, Megan got all the fabric for the curtains cut and several put together. Aluminum tanks dropped off for new valves, old tires off the rims, rims at the powder coaters, and all the gas lines are now in! Tomorrow as soon as I get the tanks back I can make the final couple connections, chase down any leaks and test run all the appliances. I also hope to get a good start on the fresh water lines. 10 days to have it ready, barring any major set backs (knock on wood) we may just make it! or come real close!

P.S. if anyone has a 12' rope and pole awning they want to sell let me know! We'd love to have one in time for the July 1 rally but simply didn't plan ahead and they are 6 weeks out.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #933
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Some progress, worked all day testing all the appliances. Regulator I had hoped would work wouldn't, had lots of tiny leaks at fittings to snug up. Ended up replacing the mercury valve on the oven, retrofiting a newer style. Still have to work with the termocouple placement and adjustment to get the oven to light correctly. Burners are working great. Fridge is hooked up and working on 110 and gas. Did some polishing so I could install the new springs and chain on the kitchen vent, and the TV antenna terminal from 62Overlander. Furnace will need some troubleshooting, I have a feeling the board is bad, it isn't even trying to fire, just fan is coming on, but that isn't going to be necessary in July.

Tomorrow curtain tracks go up so Megan can start hanging the curtains she has done, as soon as the VTS box arrives with the curtain glides. HOPEFULLY I'll get to the fresh water lines and sink drains like I planned to today. Of course everything takes twice as long as you think it will.

We also found an awning. Some surfing around I found that Marti Domyancic makes some killer awnings and is on our coast, and can have us an awning by the rally!!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #934
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Marti does make a great awning, good prices also. She made the awning for our Liner.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post

We also found an awning. Some surfing around I found that Marti Domyancic makes some killer awnings and is on our coast, and can have us an awning by the rally!!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #935
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Marti does make a great awning, good prices also. She made the awning for our Liner.

Bill
Marti made my awning as well, I went to her on Frank's recommendation. Great work at a reasonable price, and the turnaround was fast.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #936
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Present

Last night Wally H. (Flyrc) showed up at the house for a quick drop off (when you get Wally and I together, there are no short stops!!). Anyway this is what he dropped off!! Very cool!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottles.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	133023  
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #937
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Very cool Scott!

Steve
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #938
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Scott, I highly recommend Marti. As Marcus said, she does great work at an excellent price. You will be very happy. She can also make window awnings if desired.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #939
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Frank!! I'm glad we made that decision, placed the order yesterday! Some photos finally. You'll see Megan's handy work in the dinette. She's halfway done with the curtains. Our daughter Abigail loves the cushions. I still have all the cabinet hardware to put on. Time limits mean it will go on unpolished etc just so we can get drawers open etc.

Water pipes went in today, almost finished, just have the line up to the water tank to run and to install the city water inlet and test everything out. I know they didn't have pex in 1963 but since it will all be burried in cabinets and we live in an area with harsh winters and really hot summers we went with it anyway. Also since there were no working original water heaters we went with a suburban 6 gallon electronic ignition. Tomorrow or this weekend the old Bowen front will be attached as previously discussed. The punch list is too huge to mention, we know it won't all get done but the big gotta have it stuff will hopefully be done.

I need to mention for those going to the rally we'll be about 85% done, so please forgive missing trim, hardware etc. I don't want to rush the details and have them turn out sloppy so some things will just be left undone for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dinette2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	133056   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheater1.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	133057  

Name:	abigail.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	133058  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #940
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Love the picture of the baby on the seat. My absolute favorite pictures of our kids are with them sitting on the couches/twins in the middle of our Overlander. Or better yet, lying down and napping on them!

Looking good, not far to go now.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari