Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #141
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Scott!

Yes, everything is reversible -- in fact that was something I asked -- I have my originals that I finally found replacement part for, but haven't gone any further as parts are readily available for the new locks.

The only thing approaching a modification was on the knobset --the latch fit in the original opening, but didn't use the trim-out from the original (the holes where the original rivets were can be seen in the photo).

Fogdall's still list the part set on their website:

Four-Way Universal Lockset

The only difference is with the knobset -- the one shown doesn't have the interior lever -- it may be a special order not shown in the catalog.

I can't find any particulars in the records that I have in the house regarding manufacturer or location of manufacturer. My set is at least six years old and still looks and performs as good as new. I will try to get out to the Overlander and check the records in the coach (it is just outside next to my garage so should be able to get this done tomorrow).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Scott - my TW has the L-100 lock like yours (but yours sure looks shiney!!)... and a "regular" deadbolt like Kevins. I think almost any deadbolt would work.. mine doesn't look modified in any way.

Regarding that "rare and desirable African red clay".... perhaps you should put "limited quanities" of it on EBAy and fund the project? Make sure you note it's provenance and that it's been carbon dated.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #143
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
That is very cool, so it just uses the same holes and all? My knob setup (L-100) is in great condition, just had keys made so that wouldn't need to be replaced. I'll have to give them a call and see if they sell the deadbolt only by chance (if not I guess I'll find a use for the knob or pass it along).

Since we're dry from the first storm and the second is on its way in tonight I decided to get the ladder out and reseal the refrigerator scoop which was like a funnel for water last week. Boy the neighbors looked at me funny out there wish a buffing wheel cleaning up the area to reseal! Fiberglass cap will need more work, gel coat is pretty much gone. Did give it two nice coats of filler primer and it took care of many of the voids. Will need a skim coat of filler, some sanding and more primer before paint. Its 38 degrees out and getting colder so I postponed further work on it so I could get it buttoned up. The only photo I snapped was after the scoop was on but before the vent cap was slid back in place and screwed down.

Big black line is a scratch, just barely enough to ever so slightly catch a fingernail, hope to polish that one out later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3720 (Medium).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	73607  
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #144
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Funny you should mention the scoop... mine is doing the same thing! Infact, the p.o put a cheap layer of fiberglass cloth on the scoop.. which fell off while I was first washing the trailer. It freaked me out as I thought I found a huge snakeskin!! I sure didn't want to see if that was living in the trailer somewhere!!! After closer examination.. I realized that I needed to take a break and eat something.. my sugar level must have been low... right?

So yes, the rain just pours down the fiberglass scoop. Guess it's up on the roof for me too.

As far as the deadbolt, no, no mods had to take place that I can tell. I think the p.o. would've butchered the door if he had...

Funny how similar these trailers are.. they really are sisters! Sadly, no red clay in mine.
Marc
Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #145
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Pulled out the next 4 feet of plywood, found a big pile of redish clay in the belly pan, set some aside. After reading the chapter of the Elephants pulling the caravan through the muddy roads in the jungle, I wonder where exactly this belly full of clay is from.
When you see the photo's and video's of the Around-the-World Caravan, you see them pulling thru rivers that would have filled the belly pan and all types of dusty and muddy terrain.

And then realize that the original owners, Cecil & Mary Tolle, participated in several other Caravan's to Mexico and Central America and the mystery becomes even greater. Who knows where that red clay may have been from.

I would take some of that clay, put it in a vial and keep it on display in the trailer once the restoration is done. It would be a great conversation starter. You can probably make a case that trace elements are present form every country the trailer ever visited.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #146
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
you might also be able to slake it down and make a coffee cup out of it. Take it to the art department and have them fire it for you. What a tasty cup it would be. I know some of you think I am joking, but I am actually serious.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #147
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I know the point is to remain historically accurate, but when I got Anna the dead bolt had been replaced. This is what it looked like...

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	73621 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2968.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	73622

So I had to fill that gap left by the new lock set being the wrong size...

Name:	IMG_3329.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	73623 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3330.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	73624
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Well its lighter

My 2 year old son loves the movie Rattitue, but after today I'll never see it quite the same again. I found nimh, Rasco and all his friends. (no sorry I didn't take any photos for this month's photo contest, airstream and animals.. frankly I don't want to remember what we found).

I had only found a little evidence of droppings and a few small nests, but it appears through the rotten area in the kitchen someone must have used some decon and took them out.

The good news is after getting the plywood out, and the area cleaned up I found no areas of rust or broken welds. Things look pretty true, including the outriggers, no noticable drop in those with a straight edge.

Will need to do some work on the step before closing the floor up, it sits at a pretty steap angle for some reason, but doesn't appear bent. I guess I'll know more when I cut the rest of the other sheet over the door so I can remove the aluminum backer and work on the step from above.

I plan to try installing the next two panels in one piece, since I think I can press the walls out just enough to get them in place. First of course I have a lot of grinding of rust and old paint, por-15 insulation etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	73860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3744.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	73861  

Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Good progress Scott, I bet it already smells 10x better, and once you get the rest of that frame painted and all the new flooring down, it'll seem like a new trailer.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #150
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:

I had only found a little evidence of droppings and a few small nests,

I plan to try installing the next two panels in one piece, since I think I can press the walls out just enough to get them in place. First of course I have a lot of grinding of rust and old paint, por-15 insulation etc.
I found a dead dried up snake along with all the mice mummies

If you don't mind a little tip, put the forward most floor panel in before you finish the center, that why the sides can still bow out enough to drop it in then slide it fwd in one piece. Don't bolt the sides in until all the other floor sheets are in
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #151
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I love tips... I figured after there two panels I will have two left, on full and the front rounded panel. Thats a good idea, to be able to wedge it in, then slide it forward, then drop the easy piece in last (the one with no curves, no wheel wells, plumbing etc). Thanks! Gather yours smelled better after loosing the wild life? Can't believe the difference already in smell. After pulling out everything bigger than the tube on my shop vac, I've filled the canister 3 times in 3 segments with "stuff". Once we get it bolted together I'll be working hard to close up every possible opening that would let mice in but still able to let water out. Right now there are holes in the belly pan big enough to drive a bus of mice in.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Looking at your latest photo's, any idea what that long oval tubular thing is going lengthwise thru the frame openings? I can tall the pipe next to it is the kitchen sink drain, but have no idea what the oval pipe is.

P.S. For a guy who's taking his time, you're making great progress!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
believe it or not, the long oval tube is the furnace duct. Very well made and fits the frame cutouts perfectly, and a reasonable overall size for air flow. In the photos above I have the area under the kitchen window removed for some sheet metal repair. It had been filled with expanding foam and crunched level with the floor, either at the upgrade of the furnace or when the trailer was gutted (the foam looks older, so probably done a few years ago). Duct goes back to the hole (can be seen in the rear 4' photos I posted) and comes out in the skirt part of the raised black tank into the bathroom.

Photo attached shows how comes up under the kitchen cabinet. Will have to do a custom sheet metal plenum over to a round connection on the side of the suburban 30 I have in it.

The sheet of plywood I removed, along with the clean up took me about an hour and a half. I have more time than money right now, so removal, cleaning, painting and a few sheets of plywood are big deal. Not in a hurry will really come into play when I need a new axle, new appliances, all the interior wood products cermatic toilet, tub refinishing, tires, panel replacement, etc etc etc. But yeah I was going to wait awhile to start, but it was just sitting there burning a hole in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3602.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	73910  
Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 AM   #154
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You cannot stay away from the trailer can you...... That is what most wives get upset about. Not the working on the trailer, it is the devotion to it that they get upset over. I think they wish you were half as focused on them. Be careful in the balance there my friend.

Keep up the good work Scott, I enjoy having something new to read almost every day.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #155
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Hahaha! Well for us, we're lucky, my wife was actually the first one into airstreams, always having wanted one (maybe not two). She was the one that suggested we sell our motorhome and buy an airstream to fix up. She's very supportive, just as much a part of the restoration project, not affraid of power tools, dirt and the like. Plus we have a 2 year old son that loves the "ler" and wants to be in it, so we manage pretty well.

But no Frank, we can't stay away.... can hear it calling me now =)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #156
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hahaha! Well for us, we're lucky, my wife was actually the first one into airstreams, always having wanted one (maybe not two). She was the one that suggested we sell our motorhome and buy an airstream to fix up. She's very supportive, just as much a part of the restoration project, not affraid of power tools, dirt and the like. Plus we have a 2 year old son that loves the "ler" and wants to be in it, so we manage pretty well.

But no Frank, we can't stay away.... can hear it calling me now =)
You're doing it just to make me feel bad that my progress is slower than yours. Yes, I have figured out your nefarious plan.

But that's okay, it just makes me stronger. Oh no, not I-- I WILL survive!

And my 15-month old daughter absolutely LOVES the Airstream. Every time we walk past it in the driveway, she wants to go in it. She pats it and says, "Goo Aiream" which I am fairly certain translates to "Good Airstream." And if I'm working in there, she loves to come out and sit on the gaucho (that's as close as her mother will let her get to me and the power tools, probably a very wise idea) and watch me.

Yes, I am training her well.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #157
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Heck, you ALL are making me feel bad... my only excuse is the location of the trailer compared to me... I love reading it all!
Marc
Old 01-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
So, in no way do I want to offend anyone, or have them stop giving feedback/suggestions - but I've received lots of comments on bolting the floor down and that the belly pan is still on.

What I'm doing is limiting how much I take the trailer apart at a time for several reasons. One is that I'm trying to keep animals out of the trailer while I work on it, and second I'm trying to respect the expectations in the neighborhood about ongoing vehicle projects in the driveway by keeping the time the belly pan is laying on the ground as limited as possible.

Once the back 12 feet of plywood is in, which will get me just past the axle area, I can then finish dropping the belly pan (the belt rail is already off and most rivets removed), drill holes and bolt it together, then reinstall the belly pan back up, patch as necessary to repair current damage and reseal and reinstall the belt rail. Then I'll work on the last two segments of plywood, then when finished I'll drop the front belly pan and bolt that down.

I won't be using self tapping screws etc. I just don't have the space to remove the belly pan entirely and store it, and leaving it hanging down for weeks on end isn't an option either, so its all being done in stages. Hope that make sense. I'll take photos as I do that work so you can see what I mean.

Thanks for all the help from everyone and please don't stop!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Makes sense, Scott.

Hey, I do have one question though-- how do you plan to bolt the floor down with the belly pan still intact?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #160
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey Scott - you still have that belly pan on??

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari