Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #961
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Scott, the transformation is increadible! I love the look, especially with the baby moons. I just started driving again from my injury... I hope to make it over the mountains sometime and see you (and get my stuff out of your way!).
Take care!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #962
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
No problem Marc. Was out at the trailer today for the first time in about 5 months (new job this fall). I decided to take additional measures to keep the jelousey window from leaking over the winter when the snow sets on top and slowly melts.

Of course that was enough to get me itching to finish the polish job, the rest of the woodwork and all the little nagging bugs to work out of all the systems. Window and antenna are here still, no worries. Just let me know when you're coming through!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #963
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
What a busy school year it has been. I changed jobs this fall which has been an interesting financial adjustment for us, plus our son Jason is in preschool with Abigail in day care (cah-ching cah-ching).

BUT as things are starting to level out I'm hoping to get back to work on cabinets, have some work around the toilet to finish, some trim to put on and then can finally start getting some poly on the cabinets.

I have a few mechanical issues to finish up.

1. I cleaned up the NT-30 furnace that came with the trailer and had bench tested the fan etc but didn't have regulators or propane to test the whole unit. When I pulled it out of the trailer it had all been disconnected but the 12 volt power supply and ground were wired into a household extension cord plug replacement and I'm affraid the PO (or the one before that or the one before that) hooked it up to 110. When you turn the thermostat on the fan kicks on, but no evidence of the unit firing. I'm pretty sure the circuit board is toast, but I have to pull the whole guts to find out, so not so pleased about that.

Second, thanks to Reingirl I have a set of oven controls to have rebuilt so hopefully we can get the stove working correctly, but I'm still looking for a good gas control valve and burner (I've retrofitted a modern unit that's remotely close but it just doesn't fit right and I'm not happy with it). Finally, if our tax return is good I hope to get the trim, stove top, burner pans and front control plate sent of the chrome shop in time to have them back for some summer camping trips.

Ordered some more polishing supplies too, all those shiny trailers at Baker City got me reinfected with the polishing bug, Especially Mona's 1969 right next to us. Also ordered the plastic glazing strips for the windows, not happy how the rubber ones are sitting so going to try it again, was really impressed how the plastic ones looked on a few trailers I saw in person that weekend.

So here's hoping I can find a furnace board without dumping too much money in it (anyone know how to test one of these boards?) A little heat in the trailer would make bringing it home to work inside much nicer (it's only 15 degrees out right now).
Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #964
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
The dead valve

Here is the thermal safety valve for the oven.

Tappan Range.

This valve receives gas from the oven thermostat up above, but will not let the gas out until the pilot light has heated the attached thermocouple to the right temperature.

I currently have a modern one in there, but it doesn't sit right and therefore either does the burner, and I want it to work exactly right.

This valve sat in water too much of it's life and the aluminum has started to break down.

Any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	149039   Click image for larger version

Name:	valve2.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	562.0 KB
ID:	149040  

Click image for larger version

Name:	valve3.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	149041  
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #965
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Oooops, guess I shouldn't have thrown the rest of that oven out Or was this the part I sent you already and mine didn't work either? Either way I hope you find what you need!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #966
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Shelly, no you were AWESOME!!!

Probably would have worked out of yours, no doubt, but I didn't know enough about the stove yet to know mine had a problem. Without your travels, and efforts to pull yours apart we wouldn't even be remotely close to be working!

I know there is another stove out there waiting. If I ever come across a complete one I'll get it and stick it in the garage for that day that something else fails!

I still owe you BIG TIME for everything you already did!

- Scott
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #967
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Awww... seriously happy to help! Hopefully someday I'll see ya down the road. And if I ever see a 63 Tappan I'll be sure to let you know!

Just curious... did you ever find out who bought that Wally Byam map of the ATW caravan? That was really cool.....
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #968
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
He decided not to sell it. Said he had over $1000 into the frame alone. I tried to get him to let us get it professionally copied, he declined, said it was too fragile. Big disappointment. I have a postcard from a forums member awhile back with the same map. Some day I'm going to get photo shop, going to blow that imagine up big enough I can recreate the exact imagine the full scale size and reprint that poster. Figure it would be a good learning experience, and the software wouldn't cost that much in comparison to trying to get that poster. Oh and my version won't be in a $1000 frame, that's for sure!!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #969
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
... Some day I'm going to get photo shop, going to blow that imagine up big enough I can recreate the exact imagine the full scale size and reprint that poster. Figure it would be a good learning experience, and the software wouldn't cost that much in comparison to trying to get that poster...
Hmmm, if you ever do that, could you also go ahead and reproduce the refrigerator art from the 1963 Internationals for me? I'd buy you many, many beers for your troubles.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #970
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Hmmm... there's a guy on these forums (Brad Cornelius) bredlo is his AIR name... that is in the business of Photography/illustration.... maybe he'd be able to blow up the postcard for you? $1000 for frame? WOW, I'm speechless
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #971
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
There's another Brad on these forums too that does this sort of work. Maybe you guys know him.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #972
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
There's another Brad on these forums too that does this sort of work. Maybe you guys know him.

Brad
FF

Hey are you volunteering, cause I would also love the 63 International refrig art!!!!!! Set a price Brad !

PS Marcus, Your trailer is my gold standard. I've read your thread so many times I've had to upgrade my reading glasses LOL!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #973
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
DANG BRAD, you got to it before me!!! I was going to mention you and your work. For those of you that don't know, Brad has redone the door art from the Around the World Caravan Trucks so we can get those made as magnets etc. He's also done the artwork for the Around the World Caravan Plaque that resided by the door on many of the airstreams that went on the journey that we're working with Steve at Vintage Trailer Supply to reproduce.

The reason I figured I'd get the program and start tinkering and not mention BRAD is because I feel I already owe him tons and tons because of all the hours he's put into these other two projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post

Brad
FF
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #974
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Marcus, that one couldn't be that bad, really. I'm sure a sign shop could print that on the wrap material for cars too and it would look awesome. FYI there is a guy on ebay that is selling a whole bunch of 63 parts, many from the interior of the original fridge. Has the Omni chest listed, so may be an international. Might hit him up!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #975
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
PS Marcus, Your trailer is my gold standard. I've read your thread so many times I've had to upgrade my reading glasses LOL!
My goodness, thanks for the kind words, but I'm just a hack. When it comes to 63 Overlanders, Uwe set the gold standard years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Marcus, that one couldn't be that bad, really. I'm sure a sign shop could print that on the wrap material for cars too and it would look awesome. FYI there is a guy on ebay that is selling a whole bunch of 63 parts, many from the interior of the original fridge. Has the Omni chest listed, so may be an international. Might hit him up!
Thanks Scott, good to know, I'll check it out.

I sure would love to have that refrigerator art. My problem thus far has been getting an original version of it, with the words and everything. I've seen an occasional low-res version, but nothing I could really work with. The man from Bat Cave offered to sell me an entire 63 International fridge, but he wanted something like $800-$1,000 for it, full price for the fridge.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #976
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
The good news is this ebay guy has a 63, which he thinks it has the original stove. Texted him back and forth tonight, pictures tomorrow I hope. He's in the New Orleans area, has a 63 International Sovereign. NO FRIDGE (sorry I tried). I plan to try to get him to ship the full range out if it's the right one, I'll send him a fedex label. BUT he wants to sell the trailer. Only has the water tank up front and the complete Bathroom. He wants $2500. I'll get full trailer pics tomorrow. Anyone out that way interested?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #977
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Scott,

I'm looking at a vintage magic chef oven and was wondering how hard parts were for it and found these people that say they rebuild thermostats and safety valves to new condition. Seems like a site designed to sell you something but free testing so maybe....

ANTIQUE STOVE SAFETY VALVES* and Thermocouples

If anyone has used them feel free to chime in
Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #978
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hi, I read the opening thread, but couldn't follow all 70 pages. I'm a beekeeper myself, with an observation hive. I was curious if your beekeper friend ever actually went through with the idea - of if he's still on the forums?

Another Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #979
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Rob Keller. He is a very colorful fella and has a great blog to read. Wish he posted more about the Bee Mobile.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #980
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Rob's a great guy, as good as they come. Yes he went through with it, quite a cool concept really. Guess he pulls it all over the area down there, his son is very active with him (his son is probably 6-7 years old now).

Shelly, Check around your area and find an good appliance repair shop, or one of the companies that does restoration of the real old retro stoves, seems to be one in every major city and have them check the valves out (that's my next step).

I would also highly recommend taking the door and the unit's surrounding sheet metal off and replacing the stove insulation. What wasn't mouse ridden in ours was sticky with 50 years of vaporized grease. Cost was pretty cheap, on ours 5 of the 6 sides (none on the bottom) including the door had insulation so just a few running feet from the roll.

Insulation Stoves Ovens Ranges Kilns Powder Coating Fireplaces, Chimneys Insulation

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari