Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #281
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Replace them, although many rivets have been reset, its a temp solution at best. If you can get to both sides anyway, way take the chance as it only takes a minute or two to replace
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #282
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thanks for all the info on this. I'll be checking rivets this weekend. I haven't stepped foot in the AS since Sunday. Not sure if I have any leaks and these points yet or not. We did get our money in for WBCCI this week though.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #283
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
More little things in that take more than a little time.

Today I installed a new main door gasket, which should stop that leak. On her journey to California last year, the trailer retaliated and the faucet spout had swung around and smacked and shattered the kitchen window, the duct tape was beginning to dry out, and water was coming in, so no more delays.

Turns out, the glass wasn't set with glazing tape, but rather with silicone

After a couple hours of cleaning, the frame was finally ready for the glazing tape and new glass, the the glazing gasket stuff, and finally new bulb seal on the cleaned up outter frame. Amazing that the only cut I got on this job was from the old bulb seal, which proved to be sharper than the glass.

Somewhere I have an exterior photo of the kitchen window, but no tape was added to take the glass out. So here are during and after photos. Now I want to replace all the glass, glazing tape, gasket and bulb seal on all the windows because they look like crap, but first the jalousie windows need to be disassembled, cleaned, all the glass replaced (5 of the 7 on top are cracked or chipped), and reassembled because the glass is all taped in and still trying to fall out. Then I can start on the other regular windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4153.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	495.9 KB
ID:	76150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	76151  

Old 02-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #284
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
hmmmm and I have a new mystery.

I had to pull the safari forward in the driveway so I could open the window enough to slide it out to work on it, so I unplugged from my usual place (which is a standard outlet) and moved forward. The outlet I have foward is a GFCI. I had the trailer plugged in for several hours with no problem, lights on, but the minute I try to run a 110 item on any plug in the trailer it blows the GFI. Keep in mind the outlets are split between the two different breakers, and both breakers have lights on them that work fine. No inverter is connected, no battery in the system. No sign of voltage on the trailer. Polarity checking tool shows a good, properly grounded outlet at each location.

Only other bit if info that might play in but I don't know for sure, is that the breaker box isn't attached to the body, just sitting on the floor, so there wouldn't be a ground currently from the trailer shell to the breaker box or ground wires in the box. Backed up again, everything works fine on standard outlet.

Suggestions?

110 cord is new (and tested with a meter) btw
Old 02-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #285
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Check inside the box and make sure that the ground coming into the trailer is connected to all the grounds for the various circuits. Check all the grounds on the various circuits or outlets to see if any are corroded. You just need to start the process of elimination to find a weak or bad ground. Or the gfci you are plugging into could be weak, It has happened before.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #286
4 Rivet Member

During our recent episode with Hurrican Ike I ran into this problem when attempting to hook up generators which were equiped with GFCI's to house circuits. We found that if the circuit box in the house did not have an isolated ground bar that we could not hook up the ground (thus no GFCI protection). We determined that the feedback through the neutral to the ground was seen by the GFCI as a short. Maybe a real electrician here might give more insight to this.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #287
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Scott,

Saw this yesterday, don't know if your still looking but maybe seller can help with other parts. A lot of vintage in his store!!!!

eBay Motors: 60's vintage airstream exterior furnace vent cover (item 270351076355 end time Mar-06-09 13:59:45 PST)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1964-...Q5fAccessories

Keep up the GREAT work!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #288
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks I sent them a note and I'll let you know what find out.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #289
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Tallahassee , Florida
Most likely the GFCI from your house is a 15 amp and you are trying to pull more than 15 amps. Sometimes it's overload and not just a short or poor ground.
Bo
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #290
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Bo for the tip, and I'll need to check the draw, but I don't think that I have an amps issue, at least not that I'm aware of. I only base that on the fact that a plug in tester into each outlet shows it is wired correctly, and that I can trip the GFCI portion simply by turning on a 3/8 drill for a few seconds. I'm hoping to eliminate the issue with cleaning and inspecting all the grounds. I know that when plugged in I'm not finding any voltage coming off the shell, so I don't think its a short. I'll check that again though.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #291
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
hmmmm and I have a new mystery.

I had to pull the safari forward in the driveway so I could open the window enough to slide it out to work on it, so I unplugged from my usual place (which is a standard outlet) and moved forward. The outlet I have foward is a GFCI. I had the trailer plugged in for several hours with no problem, lights on, but the minute I try to run a 110 item on any plug in the trailer it blows the GFI. Keep in mind the outlets are split between the two different breakers, and both breakers have lights on them that work fine. No inverter is connected, no battery in the system. No sign of voltage on the trailer. Polarity checking tool shows a good, properly grounded outlet at each location.

Only other bit if info that might play in but I don't know for sure, is that the breaker box isn't attached to the body, just sitting on the floor, so there wouldn't be a ground currently from the trailer shell to the breaker box or ground wires in the box. Backed up again, everything works fine on standard outlet.

Suggestions?

110 cord is new (and tested with a meter) btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhord View Post
During our recent episode with Hurrican Ike I ran into this problem when attempting to hook up generators which were equiped with GFCI's to house circuits. We found that if the circuit box in the house did not have an isolated ground bar that we could not hook up the ground (thus no GFCI protection). We determined that the feedback through the neutral to the ground was seen by the GFCI as a short. Maybe a real electrician here might give more insight to this.
Further explanation - If your main breaker box in your trailer has the neutral bonded to ground, two parallel paths back to the GFCI are created, one using the neutral wire and one using the ground wire. The neutral current now flows through both conductors because they are connected at the breaker box. Since the hot and neutral wires pass through the ground fault sensor but the ground wire does not, the GFCI senses current imbalance and trips the GFCI.
vhord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #292
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Vernon, I'm thinking that its more the ground issue you speak of than anything else, because the grounds and nuetrals all do go to the same bar. Sense the breaker box is burried under the curbside goucho, and 12v is one big circuit, I'm going to go with one of those new 110/12v w/inverter set ups under there and hopefully by having that modern system for attaching isolate grounds and nuetrals that I can eliminate this problem. Its been pouring rain for a few days so no progress to report.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #293
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Vintage Trailer Supply now has the strap hinges for the early door within a door. They are here: Airstream Door Hinges

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #294
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply now has the strap hinges for the early door within a door. They are here: Airstream Door Hinges

Bill
VTS is the best. We got to keep them going!

Zep
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #295
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Bill thats awesome, glad to see those are available now. The 63 doesn't use the double hinge, at least ours doesn't, ours uses a piano hinge for the door within a door. Maybe that style will be their next product.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Its been quite awhile sense we've been able to work on her. I mentioned awhile back having power moved etc, and its because we've been saving up and planning for several years (yes even before 8671) about putting in a pool. Our back yard (due to lot size) is landlocked so no real way to get equipment back there, well without spending hundreds and hundreds in renting very expensive stuff. Anyway, my wife and I, and a neighbor have been hand digging this 14x28 pool the last 3 weeks. The most recent photo I have is about a week old. This afternoon I finished the 14th truck load of dirty out of the yard and down the street. Friday and Saturday we're doing a blitz with several neighbors, family members, and some of my students. Renting a large hydrolic dump trailer to speed up the unloading of dirt and hoping to have it all dug to the 4 foot level by Saturday.

I pledge to pick back up where I left off in a few weeks once the pool project is done, but that will probably be mid to late May. Don't panic though, I'm also selling another finished project (my jeep) to put money into 8671 and will be back on track getting the floor and interior shell finished up in time to spray zolatone this fall before the weather turns. Here's day 3 of digging (almost the whole pool dug 12-16" and starting to go down to 3 feet) In the area and bored out of your mind? Bring a shovel!!

IMG_4236.JPG (image)
Old 03-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #297
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Scott,

I have spent 20 minutes or so catching up since you got 8671 and Im sure impressed with your progress so far. I really appreciate your attention to detail. This little trailer is lucky to have you. Great work..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #298
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Chico , California
Scott,
what is the story behind the shovel handles? Did you steal those from the "Cat in the Hat?"

NUTZ
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Woo hooo! I got in a full day of work on airstreams! Finally after 8 long weeks of pool construction I got back to aluminum.

I finished sealing up and installing rivets on the rear bow repair started a couple months ago. Including pre polishing those areas while it was out.

Finished installing the rest of the rebuilt clearance lights

Finished installing the elevator bolts on the door area plywood floor panel.

Patched the belly pan, which I really want to keep to show the history of where its been, but not sure there will be much left by the time its patched.

The reason, the 1969 came home this afternoon to have the lines flushed, the interior cleaned, system checked to go camping in a few weeks. While 8671 is in the storage area I'm going to take advantage of the time and continue rebuilding windows including the front one that needs one of the corner joints rewelded.

the Tradewind is in the driveway, clean and ready to system check tomorrow and 8671 is all buttoned up to keep the cridders out of all the new work. Coming weeks new window glass, weatherstrip and lifters. As soon as I sell off my jeep, axle, refrigerator and materials for street side lower skin will be on their way.

Am happy to report between forums members, craigslist and ebay I've been quite successful in gathering just about everything (I think) I need for original parts (see my signature line for the much smaller list) to put the interior. With the selling of the jeep (hopefully) also makes my small one car garage capable as serving as a cabinet shop for rebuilding all the interior parts, and a nice place to keep stripping all the interior panels... uggh..

Pictures to follow soon.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #300
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Woo hooo! I got in a full day of work on airstreams! Finally after 8 long weeks of pool construction I got back to aluminum.

I finished sealing up and installing rivets on the rear bow repair started a couple months ago. Including pre polishing those areas while it was out.

Finished installing the rest of the rebuilt clearance lights

Finished installing the elevator bolts on the door area plywood floor panel.

Patched the belly pan, which I really want to keep to show the history of where its been, but not sure there will be much left by the time its patched.

The reason, the 1969 came home this afternoon to have the lines flushed, the interior cleaned, system checked to go camping in a few weeks. While 8671 is in the storage area I'm going to take advantage of the time and continue rebuilding windows including the front one that needs one of the corner joints rewelded.

the Tradewind is in the driveway, clean and ready to system check tomorrow and 8671 is all buttoned up to keep the cridders out of all the new work. Coming weeks new window glass, weatherstrip and lifters. As soon as I sell off my jeep, axle, refrigerator and materials for street side lower skin will be on their way.

Am happy to report between forums members, craigslist and ebay I've been quite successful in gathering just about everything (I think) I need for original parts (see my signature line for the much smaller list) to put the interior. With the selling of the jeep (hopefully) also makes my small one car garage capable as serving as a cabinet shop for rebuilding all the interior parts, and a nice place to keep stripping all the interior panels... uggh..

Pictures to follow soon.
Cool, glad to hear you're back on the Airstreams. Though of course, we will need to see completed pool project photos as well.

If you come up with anything else you need to restore the 63 to original, be sure to let me know. There is much on mine that will remain original, but not everything, and I will of course keep all parts that I'm taking out. Things I know for sure I will not be re-using:

1) Bathroom light (I almost sent this to you, but that was just when you got the two you needed)
2) Bathroom sink (white enamel over cast iron, still in very good shape)
3) Kitchen sink (white enamel over cast iron, in decent shape but could use refinishing on the enamel, won't be removing this until next year)
4) (probably) the Omni Chest. It's cool, but it just seems bulky and intrusive to me. As far as I know, this was only available on 63s, though I'm certainly no expert.

There will probably be other things I won't end up re-using from the front galley/lounge area, but I won't know for sure until I get there (you can read that as, I won't know for sure until my wife tells me the design direction for that half of the trailer ). I am thinking I will re-use the front lounge light fixtures, but I'm not certain I will keep the perforated metal shades, or go with something else. I also will probably not use the kitchen light, most likely opting for something sleeker for under-cabinet lighting, so that will probably be available next year as well.

Anyway, just let me know if you find there's anything else you need.

And, please go enjoy camping in your beautiful TradeWind, you deserve the break!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari