RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #181
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,024
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Scott, why do you need one in the back? Are you afraid of being overtaken by a large bird.....?

Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I think this is the beast I need 2 of, or at least how to make 2 of. I think this was a photo by a forums member, but might have been one I found somewhere else, I can't honestly remember.

Bolts on, simliar pattern, simliar color/texture to photos
__________________
Zep@Charmedquark.net
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #182
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,845
Images: 1
Thumbs up Rear lights....

These lamps are the originals on our first stream>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N ON RT.66.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	74382  
__________________
Ive always thought that over planning was just a firewall against not being sure of what you really want to do.
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #183
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Joe, I can't figure why they had them on the back either, but wanted to keep it as close to what it would have been, at least eventually get these types of details worked out. I mean I'm known for backing in rather quickly, but not quick enough for a rear rock guard..

Robert, very soon we'll have 8671 looking like that too thanks to Marc!
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #184
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Scott, why do you need one in the back? Are you afraid of being overtaken by a large bird.....?

Zep
I think this is the funniest thing I have read on the Forums in a couple of months!



Anyway, the original owners clearly had a rear rock guard whilst participating in the Caravan (and they probably needed it), so I understand why Scott would like to return the trailer to that state.


And my offer still stands, my ugly green corrugated fiberglass panel is yours if you want it!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #185
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Is the fiberglass gorrugated even into the frame or does it flatten out as it reaches the frame? If it flattens out definately would use it, even if that meant figuring out a way to paint it. Can't quite tell from the photo, my eyes aren't that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Yup, that's the standard "murky fiberglass" rock guard that many Airstreams had in the 50s and 60s.

Mine has an ugly green corrugated fiberglass rock guard on the front. I am going to remove the fiberglass, clean up the frame, replace the hinge (it is not aluminum or stainless and is therefore heavily rusted), and install tinted plexiglass in place of the ugly green thing.

You're welcome to my ugly green fiberglass if you like, but I don't think the color matches, and you'd need to fabricate a frame for it.

Here's a small, bad picture of it:




-Marcus
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #186
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Good question Scott. I'll have to take a closer look at it, I've never really bothered to do so since I knew I was going to yank it and replace it with plexi. I'll take some up-close pictures this weekend and send them to you.

Here is a slightly more detailed picture from my blog:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2UhGawxa4u...icture+055.jpg
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #187
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
No Progress but the mail came

I haven't even been in the trailer for 4 days due to my work schedule this week, but did receive a package from Rob today that included the original warranty card from the inside wardrobe. I hope to get some work done tomorrow, today's a wash though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	74491  
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #188
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Spent some time today extending the furnace vent that feeds the bathroom. By extending it towards the front of the trailer 8" it allows for our NT30 furnace to feed directly into the floor instead of needing external duct work and then a round to rectangle adaptor. This should save a considerable amount of under sink cabinet space.

The second modification, is due to this 110/12v system there was no univolt originally, and no central fuse panel, but rather one circuit breaker where the battery was originally located (again under the kitchen sink). In the early 60's judging by the type of univolt (With glass household fuses) the main 12v power and battery was moved from under the sink on the street side to under the goucho on the curb side, next to the 110 main breakers and power cord storage.

I will be keeping the seperate 12v/transformer setup that was stock, more for look than anything, but inside this curb side door I'm going to replace the original breaker box with the progressive dynamics 4560. I know it isn't in keeping with an exact restoration, but we think the technical upgrade of these type of mechanicals, especially when done very discretely will provide a safer and more comfortable trailer in the long run. The removal of the battery and furnace vent will nearly double the usable space in the kitchen cabinet.

While the lower walls are down I will also be adding a seperate 110 circuit for the refrigerator power, as well as one for a future roof top AC unit, and another for the water heater. On the 12v side circuits for the water heater iginition and refrigerator will be added.

With the vent duct done, I can now get the next segment of plywood down and start bolting together. Once bolted I can then move the interior parts to the rear of the trailer and start the front two. I hope to get the plywood in and start elevator bolts Tuesday.
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #189
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,024
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
...
While the lower walls are down I will also be adding a seperate 110 circuit for the refrigerator power, as well as one for a future roof top AC unit, and another for the water heater. On the 12v side circuits for the water heater iginition and refrigerator will be added. ...
The fridge takes 75-110 Watts, so you don't need an extra circuit for it. You could even tie the microwave into that line and another outlet.

Zep
__________________
Zep@Charmedquark.net
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #190
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thanks Zep, yeah I figured that we didn't need to isolate it necessarily, and will probably have that and an in cabinet outlet for a microwave or something. The 4560 has 8 breaker slots, minus the main, and each of those could be done in half breakers if needed so it wasn't too big a deal, and minimal wire to seperate things out a bit. Thank you though for the power usage info, I would have guessed much higher.
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #191
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Spent some time today extending the furnace vent that feeds the bathroom. By extending it towards the front of the trailer 8" it allows for our NT30 furnace to feed directly into the floor instead of needing external duct work and then a round to rectangle adaptor. This should save a considerable amount of under sink cabinet space.

The second modification, is due to this 110/12v system there was no univolt originally, and no central fuse panel, but rather one circuit breaker where the battery was originally located (again under the kitchen sink). In the early 60's judging by the type of univolt (With glass household fuses) the main 12v power and battery was moved from under the sink on the street side to under the goucho on the curb side, next to the 110 main breakers and power cord storage.

I will be keeping the seperate 12v/transformer setup that was stock, more for look than anything, but inside this curb side door I'm going to replace the original breaker box with the progressive dynamics 4560. I know it isn't in keeping with an exact restoration, but we think the technical upgrade of these type of mechanicals, especially when done very discretely will provide a safer and more comfortable trailer in the long run. The removal of the battery and furnace vent will nearly double the usable space in the kitchen cabinet.

While the lower walls are down I will also be adding a seperate 110 circuit for the refrigerator power, as well as one for a future roof top AC unit, and another for the water heater. On the 12v side circuits for the water heater iginition and refrigerator will be added.

With the vent duct done, I can now get the next segment of plywood down and start bolting together. Once bolted I can then move the interior parts to the rear of the trailer and start the front two. I hope to get the plywood in and start elevator bolts Tuesday.
See, you're getting SOME work done.

If you plan to add roof A/C at some point, are you going to run a drain line down through the skins? And if you only have the lower skins out, I'm interested how you would approach that?

As I recall, you and I exchanged some PMs on this subject when I was doing my rooftop AC. I did not have a chance to add a drain line when I installed the A/C last /August, but when I'm redoing the front half of my trailer NEXT winter, I hope to be able to add this in. Right now the condensation runs down the side of the trailer, and there is no way a polish job will be able to stand up to that over time!

Keep it up!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #192
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Power will go straight up the curb side wall. There is a small (about 6" wide) piece of middle skin (window height) that can be removed between the window and end cap that will get power up to the roof locker level. Then I will be feeding it over to the AC location by no doubt removing a few rivets and working around the vent area. I've scoped it out and there are empty grommets in that area so between a drill and an electricians tape I won't pull down the ceiling, at least all the way. I don't want to pull it all the way down because I don't want to snow ball the project further.

The condensate line will run down the street side, down inside the wall behind the refrigerator, simply because there is virtually no wiring in that area and no windows to limit straight up and down runs.
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #193
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,545
Images: 2
hold on. I thought you were going faithful original.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #194
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Well as much as possible we are. But when it comes to some systems we will upgrade to more modern technology, but do so very discretely. The only acception to this is the Air Conditioning. I know some may shreak in horror, but in our area we average temps at or above 100 degrees most of the months we vacation, and since we didn't purchase this as a "flip" we plan on using it a long time. If 10 or 20 years down the road another owner wanted to remove a roof top AC, it could be done rather easily and the evidence would be minimal.

When you walk into the restored 8671 our goal is that you'll see a period looking trailer with updates of appliances etc as you'd expect on something 45 years old. Everything stock size, tasteful again, correct as possible Zolatone, flooring, cabinetry, plumbing fixtures etc.
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #195
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
12 feet

Finally able to set down the 3rd piece of plywood. I had hoped to clean up and prep the entire step etc while this section of floor was out, but we're going on 2 weeks of 20 degree or colder weather, not a great temp for outside por-15 work.. So it will have to wait until this spring.

Wanted to get the 3rd section of plywood in so I can bolt the wheel well back down. Nothing yet is bolted down but already the area by the furnace is sitting much better. The kitchen wall came up almost 1" and now the window works much better.

Furnace lines up perfectly (Though the duct isn't quite as big as the one in the furance). Nobody would be the wiser, especially once trimmed out that the hole has been adjusted.

Can really start to sense what the trailer will feel like, minus all that nasty old latex paint over very dirty zolatone. I need to figure out how to sneak my interior panels into the stacks of "to be stripped" outside Utee's house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	74706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	74707  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	74708  
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #196
Rivet Master
 
utee94's Avatar
 
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Finally able to set down the 3rd piece of plywood. I had hoped to clean up and prep the entire step etc while this section of floor was out, but we're going on 2 weeks of 20 degree or colder weather, not a great temp for outside por-15 work.. So it will have to wait until this spring.

Wanted to get the 3rd section of plywood in so I can bolt the wheel well back down. Nothing yet is bolted down but already the area by the furnace is sitting much better. The kitchen wall came up almost 1" and now the window works much better.

Furnace lines up perfectly (Though the duct isn't quite as big as the one in the furance). Nobody would be the wiser, especially once trimmed out that the hole has been adjusted.

Can really start to sense what the trailer will feel like, minus all that nasty old latex paint over very dirty zolatone. I need to figure out how to sneak my interior panels into the stacks of "to be stripped" outside Utee's house.
Ha! Indeed.

Stripping the lower panels lying in the stack isn't so bad. It's stripping the acreage that lies above one's head that becomes the real problem...

But, shouldn't be quite so bad on your "little" trailer, no?
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #197
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
awhh well I don't understand how to do it, could you come demonstrate on a few panels for me?
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #198
2 Rivet Member
 
mikmilr's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
Swoope , Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 41
Scott, Just now read your entire thread. Great job. I wanted to let you know I have 2 useable teardrop lens from my '64 tradewind. Bargman 48. 1 amber and 1 red. I also have all 4 rusty bases If you need them let me know.

Mike
mikmilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #199
Rivet Master
 
goransons's Avatar

 
1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,482
Images: 10
Blog Entries: 1
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Thanks Mike, yes love to work out something for those, both the bases and 2 lenses. Then my search can go down to just lenses for those. I don't mind cleaning up rust, been doing a lot of that lately. I'll PM you for the details. Thanks a lot!
__________________
Scott & Megan
VAC LIBRARIAN WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #200
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
Scott - seems like I have a night off tonight (well, on standby). I'll be off to the post office in the morning to send the vent fan, rear lights, and 3 teardrop lights.
Best!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1963, caravan, restoration, safari


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1968 Safari 22' :: 1968 Airstream Safari Darrengj Airstream Registry Discussions 1 02-09-2020 08:28 AM
Our '56 Safari (aka Our Retirement Home) SafariSteve 1956 Safari 41 09-04-2013 06:55 PM
Safari :: 2006 Airstream Safari SE Mrs Silverback Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:31 AM
New Safari owner 2001sport 1966 - 1968 Safari 10 06-24-2011 12:30 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.