Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pre-wiring?

The random questions keep popping into my head.
Did the 1964 Bambi II come pre-wired for TV and solar panels (thinking probably not)? And if so where do the wires terminate outside and inside the unit? I plan on installing both shortly after bringing the new baby Airstream home. I all goes well will be picking it up this weekend.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Not ours.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Did the 1964 Bambi II come pre-wired for TV and solar panels (thinking probably not)? And if so where do the wires terminate outside and inside the unit? I plan on installing both shortly after bringing the new baby Airstream home. I all goes well will be picking it up this weekend.
No and no.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
On second thought, the wiring for a TV antenna might be there.

But, it's sort of useless since it would be the old 300 ohm ribbon cable.

Andy
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
In 1964, TV was barely out of its infancy, and solar panels hadn't even been thought of, much less pre-wired into travel trailers.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thanks all. I had a feeling that the answers were no. Just going to have to get a little creative. My old boat was a 1964 Pearson Vanguard and the systems are actually very similar. I pulled the solar panel system out of the boat prior to selling it and will be using it in the Airstream. It is a 300 watt system and should do the trick with 2 group 27 batteries. TV wiring is going to be from scratch it looks like. I would like at least a 22 inch LED. Finding the TV is the easy part, going to have to do a little digging to find the perfect antennae system. Hardest part is going to be fishing the wiring thru all the insulation and deciding where to mount the TV. No sweat, I love a challenge.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks all. I had a feeling that the answers were no. Just going to have to get a little creative. My old boat was a 1964 Pearson Vanguard and the systems are actually very similar. I pulled the solar panel system out of the boat prior to selling it and will be using it in the Airstream. It is a 300 watt system and should do the trick with 2 group 27 batteries. TV wiring is going to be from scratch it looks like. I would like at least a 22 inch LED. Finding the TV is the easy part, going to have to do a little digging to find the perfect antennae system. Hardest part is going to be fishing the wiring thru all the insulation and deciding where to mount the TV. No sweat, I love a challenge.
DO NOT attempt to fish wiring through the walls unless you have the interior metal "OFF".

There are sharp holes throughout the interior walls that will slice the insulation off most any wire.

The installation of "grommets" is the only way you can add wiring within the walls, without getting into trouble.

Andy