Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Pictures posted

I finally figured out how to post pictures. Check them OK.

- Photo Gallery
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
how'd you do it?
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Very nice. I know you will enjoy.
Joe
Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Joe, thank you for all your help. You being available to inspect it for me made the process so very much easier. I had planned on visiting Canopener for open house but instead spent the day driving my new Airstream home. I have most everything working except the water heater. Still cannot get the pilot light to fire off. I am sure it is just because it has not been used in 13 years. I have not had a chance to check out the brakes, but will get to that tomorrow. Again they have not been used in 13 years. I received my P3 brake controller on Friday. It is installed and seems to be working using the built in wiring.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1 View Post
how'd you do it?
Walter, I created a file on my desktop with the photos in it. I downsized them using "paint" and following the instructions on the photo download page added them to my member photo page five at a time. Very time consuming not being able to load the entire folder at one time. I am sure that there is a way to transfer the complete file from an online photo site but I could not figure out how to do that.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
Your Bambi is awesome! Loved looking through your gallery. We parked next to one very much like yours last month and thought the layout inside was really nice. Congrats!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up What a great find.....

Chief,

That is one great looking trailer, you must be thrilled!!!
Keep us posted on your progress.

Reminds me so much of our 63 Safari...wish it was still on the pad.

Bob
Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Joe, thank you for all your help. You being available to inspect it for me made the process so very much easier. I had planned on visiting Canopener for open house but instead spent the day driving my new Airstream home. I have most everything working except the water heater. Still cannot get the pilot light to fire off. I am sure it is just because it has not been used in 13 years. I have not had a chance to check out the brakes, but will get to that tomorrow. Again they have not been used in 13 years. I received my P3 brake controller on Friday. It is installed and seems to be working using the built in wiring.
Michael,
I was my pleasure to take a look at such a nice trailer. An almost 50 year old piece of art. The PO was really nice as well and had a lot of stories. Looking at the photos, I can see you have already started making it yours. I'm sure you'll get a lot of satisfaction working on it, showing it off and just plain taking it out for a day or a year. Keep tinkering and you'll get everything up and working. If you get stumped, just ask here and you'll have plenty of offers to help. Before you know it, you will be helping others by sharing what you have learned. That's just they it works here.
See you down the road,
Joe
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Nice little Bambi II you found! Looks like you can enjoy her right away. I probably won't be camping in mine for another year or so, so let us all know if she's comfortable! Congrats to you.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I installed the P3 brake controller Sunday, hooked up and drove over to an empty parking lot to check it out and do a little practice parking. The parking practice went well but the brakes are not working. Voltage is being output from the controller but nothing is showing up at the brakes. I am going to take the Bambi over to the new Airstream dealer in Gulfport after they get their shop up and running, hopefully in the next few weeks to have them check the out system. I would suppose that the brakes are froze up from not being used in so many years (at least 13 according to the PO. Also want to get an estimate of the cost of replacing the axel assembly. The torsion arm angle is basically a “0” angle when sitting at rest, so it is not totally shot, just mostly. But it has dropped the ride height down to 13in at the ball. Should be somewhere around 18in. I have priced a complete assembly from Inland and it does not sound like the cost is totally unreasonable for such a major part.
The fun continues, the joy of vintage Airstream ownership.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Chief,

Have you checked continuity at the trailer connector. The female end on the trailer may be wired differently than the TV. Our 63 Safari had to be re-wired.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043_ss_500.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	149132  
Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Bob, thanks of that suggestion. I had not even thought of that. I will check it this evening when I get home.