Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1964 Bambi II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Original Heater?

I believe that my Bambi II has the original heater installed. It is installed in the rear under the sink. The manual has little useful information about it. Basically it says read the label. My unit has no labels of any kind that I can find. Does anyone have any information about these heaters? Manufacturer, operating instructions, etc.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Original Heater?

Greetings AWCHIEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I believe that my Bambi II has the original heater installed. It is installed in the rear under the sink. The manual has little useful information about it. Basically it says read the label. My unit has no labels of any kind that I can find. Does anyone have any information about these heaters? Manufacturer, operating instructions, etc.

I am not certain whether the manufacturer for Furnaces and Heaters as installed in 1964 Airstreams was the same acrosss the board, but the supplier for furnaces was International Oil Heat . . . The furnaces were produced by a Midwest company located near St. Louis that has since been acquired by NORDYNE according to my research. They have been out of the RV business for many years. If your wall furnace/heater happens to be branded International Oil, there is a longshot that contacting NORDYNE might provide some additional information and operating instructions (but based upon my experience I am not overly optimistic).

The best clue to finding information on the operation of your wall furnace/heater is if you can find its Brand/Manufacturer . . . then it will be easier to do the research for operating instructions, and possibly an owners' manual.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I guess I will have to take it apart some and take a look at the innards. There are no labels or markings of any kind on any of the outside surfaces. I did find a hole with a swivel cover that looks like it might be the pilot light. I am just leery of gas heaters and don't want to blow myself up trying to light it. I may never actually use it. It is just part of my quest to get all the systems working as they are supposed to be. The furnace, the gas part of the frig and upgrading the battery system are my only remaining issues before I consider my trailer to be totally self contained.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Found it:

Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Original Heater?

Greetings Michaei!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Found it:

I think that I may have found the lighting instructions posted on the web. The instructions are for a later model (late 1970s), but the process is the same as the HydroFlame heater that was in my family's late 1960s SunWay Truck Camper. Those instructions can be found at: link.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Kevin, thank you, every little bit helps.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Olroy

1976 29' Ambassador
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Barbourville , Kentucky
AWCHEIF Do you know where one is for a 76 Ambassador Int model with rear bathroom, Bought it last week. Haven't hooked up gas it's been parked since 1993 A/c and elect part of Reefer seems OK. Lot of fixing up left to do. Roy West CE Cheif USN Ret.
Olroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Original Heater?

Greetings Olroy!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olroy View Post
AWCHEIF Do you know where one is for a 76 Ambassador Int model with rear bathroom, Bought it last week. Haven't hooked up gas it's been parked since 1993 A/c and elect part of Reefer seems OK. Lot of fixing up left to do. Roy West CE Cheif USN Ret.
Your coach would have a regular ducted furnace that is typically hidden in one of the cabinets. The key will be locating the cabinet, and then locating the pilot access hole on the furnace. With my 1978 Minuet, the wall thermostat for the furnace is set so that the blower motor starts to blow . . . then the pilot is lit following the instructions on the furnace access panel. One caution I would give is to have a qualified service technician inspect the furnace as furnaces of this vintage often have rust-out problems in the heat exchanger which are essentially irrepairable.

If you have a device that is similar in appearance to the unit in the 1964 Bambi II in this discussion, it is more likely a Catalytic Heater. During the 1970s, catalytic heaters were available as options on Airstreams. I am not certain whether these were factory installed or dealer installed, but they were comparatively common. They were popular with those who boondocked as they required no electricity to operate. Some were vented, but most were non-vented so it was necessary to crack open a roof vent and at least one coach window when the catalytic heater was in operation.

If you are looking for manuals for your coach, you can find the basic owners' manual and factory service manuals through the Airstream Factory Store. The owners' manuals can be found at this link, and the service manuals can be found at this link. There is also a vendor on E-Bay who offers some of the owners' manuals and services manuals on CD-ROMs.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #9

1964 17' Bambi II
Winter Springs , Florida
It has been twenty years since I fired up my Bambi II's heater. As I recall:
On the lower left side of the front metal panel is a disk which rotates out of the way to give access to the inside of the unit.
Turn the gas regulator to pilot. I don't remember if there is a button or lever which requires depressing.
Use a grill lighter to light the pilot and heat up the thermocouple.
After the pilot remains on by itself, turn the regulator dial to "ON". The heater should kick on. Adjust the thermostat to your comfort level.

Hint: Run the gas stove to help purge the propane line before trying to light the heater.

I stopped using mine because I did not trust that it was still sealed.
Zack2656 is offline   Reply With Quote