Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
ByBy Dinette

I have been thinking about removing the seating from one side of the dinette and the drop down table. For me it really serves no purpose. Considering removing the front door side seating section and replacing it with a comfortable lounge chair of some sort. Personally for me there is currently no place to just sit comfortably and relax.
Has anyone any experience in doing something like this? It does not look too difficult to remove the section. Just a few screws to remove and lift the section out. I would leave any fixed brackets in place so the removed section can be put back in if necessary. I will lose a bit of valuable storage space, but I think that will be a fare trade for some comfort. Sitting on the narrow couch is killing my back and the only way to get comfortable is laying down.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I have a 19' 2009 International CCD with front dinette/bed combo. I hated sitting sideways on the bench to watch tv, which is over the frig on door-side. Since my grandsons would rather stay at home and play video games then go camping with "poppy" I didn't see a need for the extra bed. So I removed the door-side bench but kept the table. I bought a comfy reclining desk chair at Costco and it worked out great. Still room to seat 4 at table (with a director's chair at the head of the table and seating for two on port-side bench). And if the gamers eventually decide to go with me it is only 15 minutes to get everything back to original.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Just finished the project of removing the complete dinette from our '05 28' CCD as it wasn't being used more than a few minutes a day for intended purpose and the rest of the time it was a depository for anything and everything else. We too needed more storage and a place for a comfortable reading chair.

Pulled both bench seats and table. Bought IKEA upper kitchen cabinets ( 2 - 30" X 24" with stainless steel doors) mounted them on the bulkhead wall one on top of the other so 48"high. bought drawer clasps to secure doors while moving and we now have plenty of storage 12' deep. IKEA also makes small plastic cabinet with a door that hinges out that is mounted to the curb-side wall for shoes and serves as a side table top next to a La Fuma steamer-type patio chair. We also found a full Sunbrella covered 2' foam pad with same colors as inside the A/S that plumps up the chair. Seems like we have a new A/S!

Chair folds up and easily tucks next to bed in back for trailering so everything is secure. We have lap desks we bought from Levenger to use for laptops, books and now meals. IKEA also has a simple goose neck LED lamp that mounts to the sidewall and is perfect for reading or work.

Very comfortable and much more space available to us.
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'd like to see a picture of that modification, if you get the chance.

Thanks
Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am visual sort of guy and would also appreciate some pictures if available. Ikea seems very popular for Airstream furniture. We don't have any of their stores localy so would have go thru the web site to order.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Project is under way. I took the front right side seating out along with the table. No problems at all, very easy to disassemble the unit. It was held together by about 20 screws and a dozen finishing nails. I was able to cut and fit a filler of 1/2 in ply to even up the floor. I have engineered wood flooring and don’t want to scratch it up, so next step is to get and cut a piece of carpet to fit the area and move the chair in. I have an old Lazy Boy that is still more comfortable than the one that replaced it in the house. It has many good hours of quality relaxation time left in it. My back it going to love the mods.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OK, tear out is complete, carpet is in and Lazy Boy is in place. It is without a doubt more comfortable, but is a bit overkill. Just too large for the space. Thinking about something like a swivel rocker recliner with ottoman. Checked out a couple this afternoon. Plenty comfortable and take up a lot less space. Like this:

Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Glad to see you making the trailer the way you want it Michael. You seem to be really enjoying it and happy with it! Look forward to seeing it at the Canopener.
Post some pictures when you get done,
Joe
Old 07-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
I know this is counter-discussion, but do you happen to have pictures of your dinette before you took it out? I plan to install one in the front of my Bambi II and could use some ideas.

Was your dinette a factory built piece?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Here we go: cushions are in the way on one side but it looks the same. Table either drops down or folds down out of the way. I removed the table and seat section on the right hand side. The battery is under the left seat. I plan on adding another battery so left that side in, at least for now.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
All done. I ended up getting the swivel rocker in the picture above. Fits much better in the available space. Still takes up room but so would a small foot stool in such a small trailer. The ottoman fits in behind the chair when not being used and is out of the way. The goal was comfort and this should do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chair.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	163713