Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1964 Bambi II
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Bambi II awning options?

We currently use a slide-in canvas awning with poles and ropes. This works well but provides a storage issue and takes a bit of time to set up.

I would possibly like to install a Zip-Dee awning on the trailer with attached arms. The problems I see are the way the main door opens (hinged toward the front...so the door would not be able to be opened the whole way at any time as attached awning arms would be in the way), and placement of the rear arm would be a juggle as well due to the location of the water heater. The awning would have to be quite short.

What are the opinions of other Bambi II owners? I have seen pics of Bambi II trailers with Zip-Dee awnings attached and they look good- just not sure if they are entirely practical due to limitations.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Here is a picture of one with a Zip-Dee installed. Obviously there is no way to fully open the main door. Maybe it doesn't matter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964_bambi2_a01.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	313129  
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO, having a door with the hinges forward instead of the typical 'suicide door' hinged to the rear is not a bad idea.

The 'suicide door' has been known to occasionally pop open during travel and damage both door and AS skin. Some have added a door wedge to guarantee the door will stay shut during travel. It fits and locks into the grab handle and extends enough to physically block the door from accidental opening.

On my 22 footer, the open door prevents opening the forward dinette window at all, as the door is guaranteed to break the dinette window glass when both are opened...and there is plenty of room to hinge the door the other way.

I'd go with an awning sized as shown in the #2 thread entry example, and add something to the forward awning arm to hold the door open safely when it is open...getting hit with a wind-blown AS door assembly is not fun--don't ask me why I know this all too well.

Also note that if possible, having awnings on all three sides helps keep the AS a lot cooler when out in direct sun.

Sometimes we only need the streetside smaller awning to keep cool, and don't bother with opening the big curbside one. Its very quick to open and close.

The rear awning over our escape window is nice to have, but mainly shades the window, not the AS body like the streetside one.

On a smallish trailer, I'd avoid the complications of a power-operated main awning. They seem to be a PITA.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Not important , New Jersey
I have the same awning you do i have 22 caravaner I am going to get a new style awning but that crazy thumb screw is getting removed for aircraft pins that have a ball bearing in the end.
I am actually going to call zipdee to get one. I need to figure mounts because my airstream rolled over decades ago.
Oh_this_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_this_guy View Post
I have the same awning you do i have 22 caravaner I am going to get a new style awning but that crazy thumb screw is getting removed for aircraft pins that have a ball bearing in the end.
---------snip-----
Don't forget the "Remove before flight" or "Insert before flight" streamers (available on Amazon...) to go with those nice aircraft-style locking pins with the RED tee-handles.

Where do you get those nice pins? Source URL? (I've already got the streamers...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote