Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Water Pump wiring... I'm stumped

Re-doing the wiring in my Caravel. Bought a Progressive Dynamics 4045 and a Lifeline battery. The PD is in the closet and the battery is in front of the wheel well. I have the lights and the fan working but do not yet understand how the water pump is wired...getting glassy eyed looking at the wiring diagram in the owners manual and then driving to where I have R2 (the Caravel) in storage. Can someone walk me through the water pump hookup? This will probably be the first of many electrical questions. Thanks.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the trailer had a water pump switch in the bathroom and or the control panel there are 2 possible wirings

If you only have one switch one side should have battery voltage on it and the other side go directly to the pump. If it is a new pump one side should be marked battery and the other goes to ground. if you wire it backwards by accident the pump will run backwards. Just reverse the wires.

If you have 2 switches they will be double pole single through switches. Battery will connect to the common terminal on one switch and the pump will connect to the common of the other switch. There will be 2 wires that connect the other 2 terminals on the 2 switches. Again the pump is grounded on one side. With this wiring no matter witch switch you trun on the pump will run and likewise you can turn if off from either.

If you want a diagram send me a PM with your e mail.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
i have a single switch in the kitchen...think I'll go back and wire like the manual. Plug into the 12v and 19v lines instead of running separate wire lines to the box. I have the manual with the wiring diagram...i'll let you know what I have tomorrow.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 09-24-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
I went back and wired to the manual. Lights and fan work. the manual schematic shows the switch in between the battery/low voltage panel and the water pump. So i removed the switch from the kitchen wall and found only one set of wires that had continuity with the water pump. But I could not find the wires that provide the power.??? I don't get it....when I run a power wire to the switch from the PD4045, the water pump works using the switch for on/off....what am I missing here??? Where are the wires providing power?
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
I went back and wired to the manual. Lights and fan work. the manual schematic shows the switch in between the battery/low voltage panel and the water pump. So i removed the switch from the kitchen wall and found only one set of wires that had continuity with the water pump. But I could not find the wires that provide the power.??? I don't get it....when I run a power wire to the switch from the PD4045, the water pump works using the switch for on/off....what am I missing here??? Where are the wires providing power?
You should get rid of the 2 switches, since you have installed a good charger.

The original system, provide 12 volts AC to the lights and 19 colts AC to all the motors.

19 volts AC to the motors is the same as 12 volts DC.

Divide the 19 by 1.414 and you will see. The answer is the EFFECTIVE ac voltage.

Getting totally rid of those 2 switches, will save you many headaches.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Got out my Black and Decker electrical manual. The water pump switch is a single pole switch at the end of a cable run. That means both the white and black wires are hot. That would agree with the manual's second page but not with the first .... we' ll see if it works.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Works once you understand the electrics...probably did this to save weight and money....thanks Andy. Finished alt current wiring today .... now to re-install the closet.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)