Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Battery Location

Time to do the battery and electrical system. The current battery location is under the gaucho (drivers side-left?) but I am concerned about battery out gassing in the interior of R2. (OK ... R2D2 is the Caravel and Darth Vader or just Vader is our TV, a 2013 AS Interstate (Black) --- you can hear it breathing). Is this safe? I didn't see anyway to vent to battery to the outside? Thoughts. (I've done the search but don't have hours to read all the posts so I'll just stick to the '65 Caravel thread.)
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I place Lifeline AGMs under gauchos and beds on a regular basis. Proper charging assures NO gassing and no venting.

PM me for more info.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Yes I know about AGM's but how many out there have regular batteries "in the house" ? And AS did this regularly ???
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
the original AS battery had a cover for the vents in the cells, and a 1/4" tube which went from that to an outlet in the side of the trailer. The cover was a molded piece of ABS plastic with a hole drilled for the tube. I doubt very much that many are still around but you may find the vent hole in the trailer side somewhere, often a screened opening about an inch in diameter.

Except for very high rates of charge or discharge, the amount of Hydrogen generated in normal battery use is very small in any event. Now, with a defective cell that statement is not correct but most venting systems would not work in those cases anyway.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
In front of the driver side wheel well is a 5/8" wood rectangle with a metal holder...this is where the PO had the battery. No holes in the side or anything for venting...found it interesting that there was no obvious means of venting in this Caravel. Reading the electrical forum, I might just want to put a Lifeline battery there and move on to wiring up the Progressive Dynamics. Reading my wiring diagram now to determine the "rats nest" of wires from the battery/city power switch that I removed....
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I am getting really close to my Battery Install. I am not so sure that you do not need to vent any batteries, problem would be if a failure would occur!
I believe that the standard is a 1 1/2" vent. I didn't want to cut another hole but hey I also want to sleep without concerns. Yes an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Battery should be sealed and there MAY not ever be an issue. I am using AGM and still building sealed and vented battery boxes.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
St. Albans , Vermont
Listen to LEWSTER...He has never steered us wrong with battery/electrical questions!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
I am getting really close to my Battery Install. I am not so sure that you do not need to vent any batteries, problem would be if a failure would occur!
I believe that the standard is a 1 1/2" vent. I didn't want to cut another hole but hey I also want to sleep without concerns. Yes an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Battery should be sealed and there MAY not ever be an issue. I am using AGM and still building sealed and vented battery boxes.
While I appreciate your exercise of caution, my track record of about 75 solar/ Lifeline battery installations speak for themselves. I have never had a Lifeline battery outgas when the charger is properly matched to the charging requirements of a Lifeline AGM battery. Proper charging is extremely important!

By design, all gassing that normally occurs during charging (as happens with any lead acid based battery) of a Lifeline is re-combined back into the glass mat and never escapes the battery. There is a one way safety valve on these batteries, but I have never seen one open unless the battery is severely overcharged (over 15.5 VDC @ 77ºF) or has thermal runaway (extremely high temperatures from improper charging), and this happened on the bench while an inexperienced owner was attempting to 'condition' the batteries because of sulfation caused by neglect.

Please note that my references are for LIFELINE brand AGM batteries ONLY! I would not mount any other battery (with the exception of the new lithium iron phosphate batteries) inside any vehicle or trailer, as I have no track record with any other battery brand.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
lewster, after talking with Lifeline I may be a convert!?!
These AGM Batteries are much different and have different needs. From my conversation with Lifeline their Batteries are actually better off to be mounted in an area that allows for air flow.
The price difference between the batteries isn't that much when considering the mounting issues.
thanks! PS I will still mount them securely with trays and vent the area as the Lifeline Tech advised.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Bought the 100 Amp hr Lifeline battery ... is it ok to hook up the tow harness to it for charging or should I run it through the PD and then to the battery for charging?
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
Old 10-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
Bought the 100 Amp hr Lifeline battery ... is it ok to hook up the tow harness to it for charging or should I run it through the PD and then to the battery for charging?
Charging Lifelines with the constant voltage (14.2-14.4 VDC) of an alternator's charge line will eventually harm a Lifeline AGM battery. Lifelines like proper charging, which is stated to be 14.2-14.4 VDC @ 77ºF for the bulk and float stages and 13.2-13.4 VDC @ 77ºF for the float stage.

The continual 14.2+ VDC from a tow vehicle charge line will not allow the Lifelines to float and will overcharge them (similar to what those nasty Parallax battery burners do). Lifeline recommends either using a 3-stage external voltage regulator on the charge line or simply disabling it. I tell all of my solar clients to disable the charge line by removing the fuse from the line at the fuse block.

If you have specific questions relating to this procedure, you can contact your vehicle's dealer or Lifeline directly.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I agree with lewster about overcharging. I am still trying to locate a 3 Stage Regulator for the Airstream. Overcharging is the biggest concern with the Lifeline Battery.
I got a reply back from the Lifeline Rep;
"The batteries should be vented to the outside just in case of a charging malfunction you would want that Hydrogen to vent outside. The battery charger can be mounted in with the batteries but they recommend 3 feet of airspace if they are together"
Old 10-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Look up balmar.net. They make alternators for the marine industry and have what you seek.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357