Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Caravel > 1956 - 1965 Caravel
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Axle specs for my '65 Caravel

I called my Dexter distributor this morning and changed the weight rating on the axle I ordered to 3000 lbs. (which was what was stamped on the original Henschen axle for my 65 Caravel). Thanks to Andy from Inland RV for explaining the domino theory of stiffer axle = more frame stress = more headaches. The irony is that Andy helped me order a competitors axle. He also took the opportunity to point out his alternative to people who don't want the trouble and responsibility of ordering an axle.

Quote:
The advantage of using the original brand as a replacement, is that you can have a starting angle of 35 degrees, have 12 inch brakes if you wish, and not have to worry about any fitting problems, or under/over rated axles.

While costs are important, it is not everything to many owners, especially when they must assume "all" the risks of errors, since they are providing the specs, as opposed to just providing the trailer serial number, that assures them of a perfect fit.

Andy

So for you 65 Caravel owners, here are my final axle order specs:

Dexter "Torflex Axle"
#10 torsion axle 3000lb. cambered (slightly curved)
74.5" Hub face to Hub face.
57.7/8" Outside bracket to Outside bracket.
Reverse orientation, side mount, low profile, brackets.
22.5 degrees down, trailing arm.
Electric brakes
Grease bearings (not EZ-lube or oil)
5 lugs on 4.5" centers.

I am planning on cutting the vertical shock mounts off of the old trailing arms and welding them to the new axle and buying new shocks.
I'll post again if anything "interesting" comes up during the installation process.

Dan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
I called my Dexter distributor this morning and changed the weight rating on the axle I ordered to 3000 lbs. (which was what was stamped on the original Henschen axle for my 65 Caravel). Thanks to Andy from Inland RV for explaining the domino theory of stiffer axle = more frame stress = more headaches. The irony is that Andy helped me order a competitors axle. He also took the opportunity to point out his alternative to people who don't want the trouble and responsibility of ordering an axle.

Quote:
The advantage of using the original brand as a replacement, is that you can have a starting angle of 35 degrees, have 12 inch brakes if you wish, and not have to worry about any fitting problems, or under/over rated axles.

While costs are important, it is not everything to many owners, especially when they must assume "all" the risks of errors, since they are providing the specs, as opposed to just providing the trailer serial number, that assures them of a perfect fit.

Andy

So for you 65 Caravel owners, here are my final axle order specs:

Dexter "Torflex Axle"
#10 torsion axle 3000lb. cambered (slightly curved)
74.5" Hub face to Hub face.
57.7/8" Outside bracket to Outside bracket.
Reverse orientation, side mount, low profile, brackets.
22.5 degrees down, trailing arm.
Electric brakes
Grease bearings (not EZ-lube or oil)
5 lugs on 4.5" centers.

I am planning on cutting the vertical shock mounts off of the old trailing arms and welding them to the new axle and buying new shocks.
I'll post again if anything "interesting" comes up during the installation process.

Dan

This is probably the same for a 66' Caravel??
If we replace the bathroom plastic for stainless steel would it be more?
Jerri
jerbear315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
If your ordering your axle from Dexter, you need to accurately measure the distance from the hub face to hub face of the axle and from the outside of the hanging bracket (on which the axle is bolted) to the other outside surface of the hanging bracket.

Check out the Dexter web site: http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/..._Lbs_12-10.pdf
WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Axel Replacement

So I bought a 1965 Caravel and need to replace the axle. Has anyone done this all by them selves? I am a little leery of getting underneath the Caravel with jacks and have to bust the nuts, etc...
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Many, many of us have replaced axles ourselves. There is some heavy lifting, and manageable dangers of working under a trailer, but it is really one of the easier tasks to be done on a vintage trailer. Just do a search for " replace axle" and various permutations, and you will see several threads describing the step by step.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
1965 17' Caravel
Memphis , Tennessee
Use lots of PB Blaster on the rusty nuts and bolts. Make sure you have access to an air impact wrench, otherwise they may not budge. If you have those two things it is a relatively easy job. It is much safer to use an impact driver than a cheater bar when the trailer is on jack stands.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonmj View Post
So I bought a 1965 Caravel and need to replace the axle. Has anyone done this all by them selves? I am a little leery of getting underneath the Caravel with jacks and have to bust the nuts, etc...
I have replaced many axles. It's not a tough job, even for a DIY type person.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel