Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Rear Window Dilemma

Hi,

I unfortunately broke the rear window on my 69 Caravel.
No big deal, remove the frame and bring it to my auto glass place.
3 weeks later (-$75 for the tempered glass) the window and frame are back and I can install.

Problem #1:While installing I notice the frame is pulling apart..Mmmmm.
Check it out and the guys at the glass shop drilled too large a hole and bisected the metal corner bracket that holds horizontal piece to vertical piece. Again, no big deal, I fabricate a new corner bracket out of a large gauge nail (bent at 90 and ground down to proper size).

Problem #2: While installing, the window does not seem as free moving as before and kind of hovers an inch out from flush against the trailer. What's more annoying is that even when I manage to get the window flush against the jamb it is approx 1mm lower than it ever was...causing the window lock clasp to but up against the jamb. How can the window be lower...the corners all seem square and tight.

ANy ideas on what has happened? It's a mystery to me.

thanks in advance,

Julison
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison
Hi,

I unfortunately broke the rear window on my 69 Caravel.
No big deal, remove the frame and bring it to my auto glass place.
3 weeks later (-$75 for the tempered glass) the window and frame are back and I can install.

Problem #1:While installing I notice the frame is pulling apart..Mmmmm.
Check it out and the guys at the glass shop drilled too large a hole and bisected the metal corner bracket that holds horizontal piece to vertical piece. Again, no big deal, I fabricate a new corner bracket out of a large gauge nail (bent at 90 and ground down to proper size).

Problem #2: While installing, the window does not seem as free moving as before and kind of hovers an inch out from flush against the trailer. What's more annoying is that even when I manage to get the window flush against the jamb it is approx 1mm lower than it ever was...causing the window lock clasp to but up against the jamb. How can the window be lower...the corners all seem square and tight.

ANy ideas on what has happened? It's a mystery to me.

thanks in advance,

Julison
Rebuilding old Airstream windows is near impossible as you have learned.

Replacing them is the only "for sure" answer.

You cannot take an old window sash apart and put it back together again, without getting into a number of different problems.

Contact your insurance company, and replace the window with new.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks Andy,

You may be right.
But, having gutted the trailer to replace the frame and floor - I can't be stopped by a window frame. Technically, it's dead simple - right?

I'm not certain (as I didn't anticipate the problem and premeasure the window before I sent it to the glass shop) but it must be slightly bigger.

I will pull it apart myself and reassemble - this time ensuring every last millimeter of play is taken up.

I'll keep you posted.

thanks again
Julison is offline   Reply With Quote