Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Interesting Toilet/lav options

We just took our wonderful original Caravel and gutted it. Really glad about doing this.
Now down to the bare floors, everything is out including the shower and old toilet.
Lots of dry rot around the edges, so we are about to replace the floor and while we are at it, re plumb, rewire and make all new cabinetry. Lucking for us my wife is a professional woodworker. She has a eye for perfection and she is motivated. One of our goals to make the Carvel a showcase for her work. My job is the mechanical side. Having raced sports cars for 30 years
and built many cars from the ground up, neither one of us are intimated by the challenge. At the end of the day we will have a very cool Carvel.

One of the things we found in our deconstruction has been the amount of butchered repairs by the PO's. Bare wires, if 20#'s of caulk didn't solve the problem, just use a 16p nail. Just sad at times but now we are on a new path
with modern materials on our side.

Questions:
We removed the fiberglass shower/lave. It's in good shape, hot water heater
seems to be Ok same with heater. All of this we are either going to take to the dump but I want to find out if there are others out there that are restoring and these bits are worth saving. Just hate to toss something that has value to someone else.

Toilet: we are going to remake the toilet sink area, and I have been looking for clever designs, anyone here seen anything really different and compact.

I will post pics as we go, any and all advice is more than appreciated
Van
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	173736   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	173737  

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	173738  
Attached Images

vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
Toilet: we are going to remake the toilet sink area, and I have been looking for clever designs, anyone here seen anything really different and compact.
I suggest that you take your cue from cruising sailboats. You'll see many more imaginative designs there (often in wood, besides) than you'll normally see in trailers.

One design I liked in particular when I saw it was in Ferenc Maté's "The Finely Fitted Yacht." (Or one of his other books; I don't have a copy and I can't remember for certain.) It was a handmade Pullman sink, that folds up when not in use.

Another idea that could have promise, especially for boondockers, that I saw in a yacht at West End Marina here in New Orleans… Install the bathroom sink right beside the toilet. Add a small tank behind and above the toilet to hold the graywater from the sink (may have to elevate the sink slightly to ensure the tank is above the toilet but below the sink). Then, plumb the toilet to use the graywater from this tank to flush the toilet. By flushing with graywater, you extend both your freshwater supply and your graywater tank capacity, without having to increase your black tank capacity.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Take your old stuff to RV Doctor George in Sacramento. RV Doctor George

I traded my refer, heater,stove /oven for a high output 3 burner cooktop. I also picked up a new gray water tank from him. The place is worth the trip just to look .

I'm installing a Casita shower/toilet/black tank in our 25' Trade Wind. Its a complete wet bath. It will go in the street side rear corner. I'll make a counter across the rear with a round sink. The curbside corner will be a closet. All this in the same footprint as the original rear bathroom.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote