Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2023, 10:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

no again , Massachusetts
what years to avoid for front seperation?

we are looking into getting a used flying cloud or international.
25ft or 27.

is there a specific number of years to avoid for this front separation?
or just avoid the front bed all together?

thanks
keithstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:03 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

no again , Massachusetts
well then....
Old 11-24-2023, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I believe it’s not so much as “what years”…. as “what design”….and the front bed isn’t necessarily the issue…. it’s the front access-door.

As I understand it, the front storage-access door installation weakens the structure and results in the separation. The fix is to beef up that structural component….. or to avoid models withs a front storage access door.

Model with front beds…but no front access door…. yet having a side access door to get into that storage area beneath the bed from outside….. have no separation issues.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I believe it’s not so much as “what years”…. as “what design”….and the front bed isn’t necessarily the issue…. it’s the front access-door.

As I understand it, the front storage-access door installation weakens the structure and results in the separation. The fix is to beef up that structural component….. or to avoid models withs a front storage access door.

Model with front beds…but no front access door…. yet having a side access door to get into that storage area beneath the bed from outside….. have no separation issues.
Agree with Boxite based on my readings of the forum. The 27FB queen seems to have issues as the bed is situated with the head at the front (a-frame) and the exterior storage door under the head of the bed. Twins have storage on the sides of the trailer. The 25FB queen is oriented with the head of the bed at the right so the storage door is on the curb side and no door at the front of the trailer. This is the configuration of my 2017 International 25FB queen.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
There is a person on this forum who had front end separation with a rear bedroom queen so it is not limited to front bedroom twins. In their opinion the FES was caused by too stiff of bars being used on their Equalizer hitch.

The majority of issues occur on front bedroom twin models but it can occur in others as well.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
We have a front bedroom twin 2020 25' GT so it has both front and side storage compartments. Although front compartment trailers seem prone to the separation issue, from our experience it's not a foregone conclusion since our trailer shows no signs of it yet.

I don't know if reducing stress on the trailer by using the appropriate hitch hardware, weight distribution settings, trailer tire pressure settings and tow vehicle contributes to mitigating the problem. Or maybe it just takes luck not to hit that one pothole or dip which gives enough of a jolt to get the process started.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
My understanding is that the 2023 Front bed models have extra support bracket on each side of the storage compartment. This L shaped bracket is sandwiched between the inner and outer skin and is supposed to give extra support to the areas most prone to separation. I have confirmed that the brackets do indeed show up on the 2023 parts list whereas it was not there in 2022 and prior. Knock on wood, I’ve had my 2023 GT 27FBT for 11 months and so far, no evidence of separation so just maybe they fixed it.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #8
Sombrero

2018 30' Classic
St-Jérôme , Quebec
Do not avoid any years nor configuration, it is not likely to happen really! If it does you are very very unlucky, but this is an under $5K fix! No alarm here!
Old 11-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
If you mean by separation, the skin developing a crack starting at the lower edge of the compartment door, mine cracked on my 2010 25 FB. Th trailer was about 7 years old at the time. I filled the 7 inch crack with some metal weld and forgot about it. Small flaw on an otherwise great trailer we had for 13 years.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

no again , Massachusetts
thanks for all the replies !!!

really appreciate it
Old 11-29-2023, 06:00 AM   #11
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Just an fyi, if you choose a 25FB with the queen bed, it does not have front storage, and would be very unlikely to get front end separation. However the bed runs crosswise across the trailer, and that presents other issues, as you age and get hips and knees replaced. (Or just don’t like crawling over one another to get in and out of bed.)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Brush Prairie , WA
I noticed the metal strap around our 2019 GT 27FB Special Addition initially a queen/converted to a twin at Ultimate Airstream in Portland had begun to seperate at the five and seven o'clock positions and clearly see the front attached panel start to crease as well. This dealership knew of the issue and requested a warranty repair for it which was covered. The repair was completed and I have not seen any further issues.
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:15 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Our '21 FC27FB twin with bunk, had minor separation issues the day we took delivery but worsened over the first year. It took 18 months to convince AS to cover the repairs, but all fixed up in the end. Our setup is likely the perfect storm. The Twin setup has lots of front storage, the bunk likely weights more than standard cabinets, plus we have extra AC unit up front, solar and heavy ProPride hitch. All lead to a hefty tongue.
Mpit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 02:04 PM   #14

2013 27' FB International
Ceres , California
We have a 2013 27FB International which has not experienced any FES. I tow on-the-ball, currently with a 2021 Chevy 2500 Duramax fitted with a B&W 3” shank Stow-n-Go hitch. I do not use WD with this truck/trailer combination because imo it’s unnecessary. I manage weight distribution/sway with proper loading, trailer tire pressure, use of the diesel exhaust brake, speed control, and pull-over/stop during wind events. After that, I let the truck do its job. I mention all this because WD hitches on 3/4 ton TV’s, or tuned improperly on 1/2 ton TV’s may be transferring forces to our Airstreams that are causing rivet pops (never had one btw) and structural separations. This might be a consideration when evaluating your purchase options.
ddstewC803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Ft end

After 2021, but they still have newer bracket revisions for the ft end fix at JC, I would stay away from the ft locker but if its not dimpled you can make a stop at JC and they can modify the ft end with new repair brackets. Iv’e had two trailers repaired by them for this problem. Our last one the 2021 30 ft rear bedroom without the ft end locker did not shell separate but it buckled the panel behind the propane tank.Vinnie caught it starting when we stopped in to visit him in California last year.

Why we are now now using a Shocker Hitch and VERY little weight transfer on our bars. Truck is a F-250.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Wrong!

Sorry. spent way to much time at JC and worked with the techs. It’s a matter of when it will happen Unless you tow on the ball no weight distribution or have a 1/2 ton truck or sport ute that flexes more. Yes the 3/4 ton frames with those forcing weight to the ft end will rip the trailer apart-

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.trudeau View Post
Do not avoid any years nor configuration, it is not likely to happen really! If it does you are very very unlucky, but this is an under $5K fix! No alarm here!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 07:18 AM   #17
Sombrero

2018 30' Classic
St-Jérôme , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Sorry. spent way to much time at JC and worked with the techs. It’s a matter of when it will happen Unless you tow on the ball no weight distribution or have a 1/2 ton truck or sport ute that flexes more. Yes the 3/4 ton frames with those forcing weight to the ft end will rip the trailer apart-
Ok well I'm from region 1 #125 and sincerely never heard about front separation, I did heard about it from Canam RV because when I've picked up one of my trailer 4 - 5 yrs ago they were re-doing a trailer front part.
I could be wrong? but if that does happen to my trailer I will find a way to fix is myself and will take this opportunity to beef up the weak part, if Airstream doesn't have the ability's to correct this problem I know I will find the resources to overcome the problem on my own!
Old 12-01-2023, 07:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.trudeau View Post
Ok well I'm from region 1 #125 and sincerely never heard about front separation, I did heard about it from Canam RV because when I've picked up one of my trailer 4 - 5 yrs ago they were re-doing a trailer front part.
I could be wrong? but if that does happen to my trailer I will find a way to fix is myself and will take this opportunity to beef up the weak part, if Airstream doesn't have the ability's to correct this problem I know I will find the resources to overcome the problem on my own!
I had the front and separation issue on my 2018 Globetrotter 27FB twin. Jackson Center repaired it and it occurred again. I had it fixed by Collin Hyde in New York. He does all sorts of restorations on vintage to Airstream‘s. Years ago Airstreams had a 18-24” vertical steel plate that extended across the front of the RV and tied into the frame on the bottom. Ribs would come down and rivets applied through the ribs into the steel plate across the front. This kept everything structurally sound so no FES occurred.

After one of the acquisitions of airstream, that vertical steel plate was removed, and that’s when the FES started to occur more often in certain models. The Purchaser of an Airstream would never know that vertical steel plate was there before or removed after as you can’t tell by looking from the outside. Since Collin does all these restorations, he’s aware of how things were put together before and after.

All he does is just repair the Airstream and put that vertical plate in the way it used to be done and I have had no problem since then. I had Collin add an access door inside, underneath my nightstand between the twin beds. I like that method better than accessing from the outside behind the propane tanks, and my front end is structurally sound now as there is no hole in the outside skin or structural support.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

no again , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post

so i can tow without a WDH ?? i have a 2020 titan XD. claims to have a 1098 tongue weight.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Our TV is a 2016 F350 King Ranch, crew cab, diesel, single rear wheels. Unless a different hitch comes with the trailer (planning on trading this trailer in or the Airstream at a dealer), hitch is a Blue Ox Sway Pro. I have both 1000# and 2000# bars for it. Proposed Airstream is a 2005-2015 30-34' rear queen bed, preferably no slide. The trailer will have a roof-full of solar panels (as many I will fit), big LiFePO4 batteries, Victron MultiPlus II, etc. Will this Airstream be a candidate for front end separation? I understand that any trailer could have a problem, but some seem to be more prone to it than others.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote