Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
We rented an AS recently!

Wife and I flew into LAX (from Orlando) and spent 2 GLORIOUS weeks in a new 2016 23' Flying Cloud with TV a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500. Went to Malibu;Pizmo Beach and hit 3 nights each at our primary objectives of Sequoia National and Death Valley National Parks. Took the rental insurance but had zero issues, OK one ALMOST calamity but we learned a great lesson. Happy to give out the contact info for anyone wishing to rent from a company that ONLY rents AS. Here is what struck us: Campsites are filled with people who are happy and friendly either on vacation or retired, no one had attitude! The AS is a solid and functional camping vehicle with a few "issues" that are not deal breakers if we become buyers but now we are AWARE (manual awning is a huge hassle, some really bad clips on doors and hood exhaust, toilet adjacent to shower is a bad plan, sleeping set up was too tight, wrestling to open windows,etc). Looking HARD at our options for camping and just LOVE the 5th wheel campers made by a slew of manufacturers but something inside me keeps saying that if for no other reason than RESALE values, buy a new AS. Also I understand that lenders will write a 30 year note for a new purchase. Amazing. Gotta go check out the 27'FB as so many of you folks LOVE it and I see that floor plan is much better for our needs. Hope to be an AS owner sooner than later but renting was a GREAT way to get a taste of the life!!!
astroboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Glad to hear you had a good time! Keep us posted
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Welcome astroboy! Great idea to rent and see how AS meets your needs. Sounds like a fun trip with exposure to the camping life. Like you, we meet the nicest people on our excursions. We have a 27' and love it, really didn't even look at anything else. Lots of good youtubes on the awning if you don't remember all the details from the dealer.

You can always find bigger, fancier campers, but do you do a double-take when you see an A/S?? That may indicate an incipient case of aluminitis getting into your bloodstream!! It gets into the bones too... LOL!! Have fun making the decision!!

Lots of good places to camp within 2 hrs. any direction from Sanford!!
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Astroy boy we have been camping for over 40 years, numerous RVs, including 4 AS. Despite the issues you and others, including myself experience with the AS they are one of the best built units on the road.

5th wheels are nice options providing more space etc. However, in the spring of 2016 we looked very hard and on thru the summer at 5th wheels. By and large they are poorly and weakly built, but there are two we strongly considered before buying our latest AS the 2017 Classic. The 5th wheels we zeroed in on were the New Horizon and the Augusta Luxe. Both sold by their respective factories and both hand built with less than 100 per factory per year. However, New Horizon with a few options over $200K, Augusta Luxe about $140,000 and for both one would need an F450 Dual Rear Wheel Diesel.

So, we don't do full time and will not so we opted for the Classic and enjoy our decision, although it was expensive we find it worth it.

Good Luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 AM   #5
Quilts&Brews

2017 30' Classic
Marlton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy18 View Post
Wife and I flew into LAX (from Orlando) and spent 2 GLORIOUS weeks in a new 2016 23' Flying Cloud with TV a 2017 Dodge Ram 1500. Went to Malibu;Pizmo Beach and hit 3 nights each at our primary objectives of Sequoia National and Death Valley National Parks. Took the rental insurance but had zero issues, OK one ALMOST calamity but we learned a great lesson. Happy to give out the contact info for anyone wishing to rent from a company that ONLY rents AS. Here is what struck us: Campsites are filled with people who are happy and friendly either on vacation or retired, no one had attitude! The AS is a solid and functional camping vehicle with a few "issues" that are not deal breakers if we become buyers but now we are AWARE (manual awning is a huge hassle, some really bad clips on doors and hood exhaust, toilet adjacent to shower is a bad plan, sleeping set up was too tight, wrestling to open windows,etc). Looking HARD at our options for camping and just LOVE the 5th wheel campers made by a slew of manufacturers but something inside me keeps saying that if for no other reason than RESALE values, buy a new AS. Also I understand that lenders will write a 30 year note for a new purchase. Amazing. Gotta go check out the 27'FB as so many of you folks LOVE it and I see that floor plan is much better for our needs. Hope to be an AS owner sooner than later but renting was a GREAT way to get a taste of the life!!!

Astroboy,

Could you send me the name of the business you rented the AS from, we have family in Orange County looking to rent one.

Thank you

Jed
Pops1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Jed, there is Airstream 2Go. Owner is former president of Airstream. We met one of their branch managers in FL this past winter, nice young woman. Cost for trailer and TV comers close to $1,000 a day.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Jed, there is Airstream 2Go. Owner is former president of Airstream. We met one of their branch managers in FL this past winter, nice young woman. Cost for trailer and TV comers close to $1,000 a day.
Can rent a really nice hotel room for that price!
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Sure one can. But, they are very busy. People want to Airstream, but not own one. Plus, this company will stock the trailer with what one wants, deliver it if requested. And despite the cost, it's much cheaper than buying an AS.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
30 year financing on an RV?
I thought my 20 year RV loan was extreme.
That's what it takes to afford the payment on a $96,000 RV.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Commenting about the choice between an AS and say a Fifth Wheel or some other brand.
Airstreams are forever...SOB's are typically built to last 15 -20 years. Got that number directly from the sales person selling really nice looking trailers for 1/3 or less the cost of an AS
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
With a rubber roof membrane on a SOB 5th wheel, no matter how expensive or how nice, you WILL have roof leaks in the corners where the rubber roof membrane meets the fiberglass end caps.
It will have walk around room and storage that Airstreams do not.
I am totally consumed with retro, nostalgia, art deco, classic...
Fifth wheels ain't got none of that...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
WOW, you did your homework on the 5th wheels! The ones I have seen (Forest River) seem great but I smell unending maintenance headaches! Also, in a wicked storm, I would feel MUCH more secure in an AS. A nice 5th wheel can be had for $50k new but becomes a real burden to sell used. I think that AS will be an EASY sell whenever we want to sell it, true?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
not quite $$$

Quote:
I just did the math, cost us $400/night but that is tax, insurance, and BRAND NEW AS and tow vehicle
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy18 View Post
I just did the math, cost us $400/night but that is tax, insurance, and BRAND NEW AS and tow vehicle
That sounds much more reasonable.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Astroboy, do they have any locations besides west coast? Why not post their info so everyone can see it.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
Jackson the Airstream

2020 30' Classic
Aurora , Ontario
sue and I also rented Airstream 2 Go last year, loved almost 3 weeks in the high desert..picked up in Bozeman MT and dropped in L.A..and bought a Pendleton used...3 months used...and used for two nights! looking forward to getting it out in a few weeks and shaking it down! The A2GO was truly expensive but in hindsight gave us a good run to see if we would enjoy the ownership...highly recomend it for a trial, and yes, as BambiTex says..."you can rent a really nice hotel room for that price", but not where we stayed!
Philandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Aluminitus.....thats a new one and a good one! Thanks
Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Aluminitus???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP54 View Post
Welcome astroboy! Great idea to rent and see how AS meets your needs. Sounds like a fun trip with exposure to the camping life. Like you, we meet the nicest people on our excursions. We have a 27' and love it, really didn't even look at anything else. Lots of good youtubes on the awning if you don't remember all the details from the dealer.

You can always find bigger, fancier campers, but do you do a double-take when you see an A/S?? That may indicate an incipient case of aluminitis getting into your bloodstream!! It gets into the bones too... LOL!! Have fun making the decision!!

Lots of good places to camp within 2 hrs. any direction from Sanford!!
Thats a good one! VERY descriptive! Name a few of your favorites within 2 hours of Sanford please
Old 04-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
post # 12 below was my response, sorry

Quote:
Astroy boy we have been camping for over 40 years, numerous RVs, including 4 AS. Despite the issues you and others, including myself experience with the AS they are one of the best built units on the road.

5th wheels are nice options providing more space etc. However, in the spring of 2016 we looked very hard and on thru the summer at 5th wheels. By and large they are poorly and weakly built, but there are two we strongly considered before buying our latest AS the 2017 Classic. The 5th wheels we zeroed in on were the New Horizon and the Augusta Luxe. Both sold by their respective factories and both hand built with less than 100 per factory per year. However, New Horizon with a few options over $200K, Augusta Luxe about $140,000 and for both one would need an F450 Dual Rear Wheel Diesel.

So, we don't do full time and will not so we opted for the Classic and enjoy our decision, although it was expensive we find it worth it.

Good Luck.
Still just learning how to reply properly and use this forum
Old 04-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
not quite that expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Can rent a really nice hotel room for that price!
It worked out to $400/night but that was for NEW AS, NEW TV, taxes and insurance!!!