Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LA , California
Angry Warning about new Airstream Basecamp 20X

Two months ago, we bought a 2021 Basecamp 20X in order to travel safely from California to NYState and back. This is our first RV/Airstream experience. Our excitement turned to horror as one after another thing broke or decided to stop working. Within the first hour of driving, three of the cabinet doors fell off and we were unable to get them back on. No dealers were able to get us the parts within a few months because this is a new model. We ended up traveling with duck tape everywhere. Within three days, the seven-way hookup stopped working and we needed to get a new one spliced on. At around this time, the zippered window coverings began to unstick and come down. Then, although we followed directions, the entire water system froze up while we were driving in cold temps. We had to pay to get that fixed. Terrified to drive in cold temps - we hightailed it to warmer weather. This meant we could use our screen door - except we couldn't - it was stuck and when we got it open - it had come apart at the seams but then it was stuck open. Meanwhile - the shower handle began squirting water from every possible and impossible place. We had to take it off and shower without it. Then - the electrical stopped charging as we were driving, and will not work when we are unconnected. There are also design flaws inside this trailer. It is almost impossible to get to the water valves without tools and whiplash as they are buried underneath benches with several screws in between you and them. Not to mention that when the refrigerator door opens - it swings over the dining area and will knock anything you have on the table onto the seat - we had water, wine and milk go flying on a regular basis. The outdoor light is so bright that we got complaints from people. You cannot open windows and the back door is so high up you cannot climb in. It is hard work to unmake and remake the bed every night - because of the design in the back - not square and there are very heavy cushions - the bed is actually huge but it takes up a lot of space. So we gave up and were unable to use the seating area in the back. I could go on and on as there are so many problems - but in short, I would not recommend this trailer. We are returning ours this week. I love Airstream but honestly - this was a tough experience and everything in this camper seemed shoddy and cheaply made.
robojobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another sad, sad story of a disappointed owner whose dreams have been dashed.

Will you ever start attending to the quality control issues, Airstream???

Maggie
Old 04-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Unfortunate....

But...Did you a camp in the dealer lot or for several nights at home before the hairy journey?
Were all items explained and gone thru at the orientation, was it thorough?
Did you understand how everything worked, did you nap on the bed?

Would not some of the problems been recognized had you spent more time learning about what you were buying?

Folks here will tell you I'm not a big fan of AS quality control, and have been a consistent loudmouth about it, but the pot needs to be stirred here.
AS is at fault, the dealer dropped the ball, and due diligence was lacking by the buyer.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Ouch...
I don't think hanging out in the dealer lot initially, would have stopped this brand new Thor, errr, I mean Airstream, from coming apart on the road.
It may have produced a big punch list, but like I say, you don't / shouldn't need/ surveyor skills, when you buy a new home.You should safely be able to assume the lot is the size the title says.
Airstream has huge quality issues.Right off the factory floor.I think a non union shop in Ohio, has a lot to do with things as they now are.
People have many , many,page " punch lists" right at the "Mother ship" in Jackson Center,Ohio.Right off the factory line
It is what it is....
Old 04-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I have heard that, due to the very high demand for RVs right now, quality is a major issue with many manufacturers. They are just throwing them together to attempt to meet the demand.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I wonder if it has occurred to anyone else here that maybe quality control is part of the business plan.
Many of us have made the timely journey to the mothership for various “repairs”. In doing so we are exposed to the manufacturer making good on issues that seem to have a certain consistency. That said the experience seems to convert most of us as adherents of this new-fangled way of life.
There are others that do not buy into the Airstream way of life, or are frustrated by the process. My experience with the mothership far exceeded my experience with dealerships. There are some that I would NEVER visit again. But unlike many manufacturers Airstream/Thor actually does an exemplary job of making their clients happy.
I would suggest that due diligence on the part of the buyer might have better served him.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Smiles View Post
I have heard that, due to the very high demand for RVs right now, quality is a major issue with many manufacturers. They are just throwing them together to attempt to meet the demand.
Yep...Demand now, what about 2006?
What goes around...Stays gone.

Posted AS Forums 2006
A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL. Overtightened.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do most definitely believe there is a purpose and method for Airstream for drawing people back to JC, and folks pretty consistently report very positive experiences there.

Letting rigs consistently leave the factory with such glaring issues, tho, is difficult to understand and which Airstream consistently fails to explain much less rectify.

It wouldn’t necessarily occur to a first time owner that they should spend a night or two where they purchase an Airstream to make sure everything is in good working order, tho anyone who pops up here is always encouraged to do so.

I don’t doubt that the high end custom builds made for celebrities and others of extreme wealth are not delivered to them with the kinds of issues we hear about on these forums.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Good God, this is horrible, the worst I've read so far. These poor people had never RV'd in their lives. And whether the were first-timers or not, to lay any of the blame on new buyers for this nightmare of an Airstream is wrong, wrong, wrong.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Good God, this is horrible, the worst I've read so far. These poor people had never RV'd in their lives. And whether the were first-timers or not, to lay any of the blame on new buyers for this nightmare of an Airstream is wrong, wrong, wrong.
ANY?

No, but some, especially as beginners.
Why is it wrong to spend as much time learning about what you're getting into as you spent on figuring out the finances to get into it.
Remember Horace said...“Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor.“

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Hudson, , Wi
I am taking delivery of a 25 FBT Globetrotter in May and after the nightmares I have read on quality control I am scared as I live days away from the dealer. I am hoping AS will weight in as I know how quality suffers with a non union shop of hiring anyone who walks through the door. The dealers are salesmen (women) and quality control falls back on the manufacturer.
It is time AS steps to the plate on weight distribution and anti-sway hitches and not leave it to the unsuspecting buyer.
Chuck Bye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Does Airstream understand that Quality Control DOES help reduce the man power and cost of doing repairing/replacing when Quality Control worker could do. Quality Control does not mean just to glance inside but do touch everything, turn on everything, flicking all switches on off repeatedly, paly with furnace, A/C, stove, music, TV. And to take AS out for a short tow over a rough patch of road. then return to see what broke apart or fall off.

It is costly for Airstream to have to fix/repair/replace under warranty. Don't they know that? it is cheaper to set up a Quality Control Department. If Airstream already has one, all the QC staff needs to line up to be chewed at by disgruntled owners of new Airstream trailers that are brought back for repairs on soddy job.

Keep in mind some damages are not caused by Airstream workers.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Absolutely right. Blaming these newbies is just wrong. Airstream needs to get their act together.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
B. Cole and Chuck Bye both commented relating to poor quality coming out of a “non-union” shop, such as AS apparently is.

What a bunch of union-spewed garbage. I and others could laundry list quality issues with products built in union driven environments.

Airstream has a problem. It’s not whether the employees are unionized or not. It is lack of quality importance on the part of management, the lack of quality orientation in hiring, and the lack of quality training in teaching skills and expectations required for quality outcomes. Airstream is not paying attention, and there are still more happy customers than pissed-off customers. But, it won’t last as these horror stories continue to surface. AS needs to get their rivets in a row. Listening Airstream?
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
dang

yes, dang.
I feel terrible for you and ALL new owners that have had a bad experience.
I bought a "lightly used" unit, in 2018 so perhaps that gave me more luck, with but very minor stuff wrong.
I think if I ever buy a new unit, I would plan to take a trip 100 miles away to camp for a night or two, and then have a plan to return with an appointment already made to fix the items that need fixing. There are always some.

Of course, not all have this luxury.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
But...Did you a camp in the dealer lot or for several nights at home before the hairy journey?
Were all items explained and gone thru at the orientation, was it thorough?
Did you understand how everything worked, did you nap on the bed?

Would not some of the problems been recognized had you spent more time learning about what you were buying?

Folks here will tell you I'm not a big fan of AS quality control, and have been a consistent loudmouth about it, but the pot needs to be stirred here.
AS is at fault, the dealer dropped the ball, and due diligence was lacking by the buyer.

Sweet Streams...

Bob
🇺🇸
I appreciate your reply, but none of the issues that occurred had anything to do with our know how. Additionally, we were on the phone non-stop with the dealer to make sure we were not doing anything incorrectly - which they supported. All these issues happened at various times on the road. Cabinets did not fall off because we were opening and closing them - they fell off while driving. We did not buy a camper to sit in the driveway - we bought it to travel!
Old 04-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
ANY?

No, but some, especially as beginners.
Why is it wrong to spend as much time learning about what you're getting into as you spent on figuring out the finances to get into it.
Remember Horace said...“Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor.“

Bob
🇺🇸
Who said we didn't spend time learning? All these issues happened while traveling and are beyond our control. Yes, the design issues I will concede that we could have seen the issues ahead of time - however - it is not as easy as when you are actually living in the unit and traveling.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
. . .
Listening Airstream?
After decades of inconsistent and haphazard QC, why start listening to "the whiners" now . . .

. . . when Thor recently reported record profits?

https://www.rvnews.com/thor-backlog-...its-quadruple/

[IMO]
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is an Airstream issue, and one that has been beaten near to a pulp here on multiple occasions.

For any new owners reading this who do not yet have your rig, arrange with the dealer to spend a night or two on their lot to try everything out and have what you find fixed before you leave.

JC lets these messes leave the factory, then the dealers often pass them on to the owners without first having done a detailed inspection.

If Airstream wanted to fix the QC issues, they would have long since done so.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2021, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
If Airstream wanted to fix the QC issues, they would have long since done so.
. . .
Bingo!

Condolences robojobo . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote