Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bridgeville , Pennsylvania
Visited a dealer today

Hi there
well we visited a dealer today and did get to view about 12 trailers in all. From the 30ft to the small 16ft trailer. Wow, there is no comparision between airstreams and the regular trailers. We owned a 29ft Flagstaff and a 36ft fifth wheel in the past.
But the airstream was wonderful. It had so much storage, Loved the lights, even the shower was pretty big.

We didnt buy as we would like to visit another dealer ; probably the one in Columbus, Ohio as its the next nearest one. We do think that it will be either a 25 or 27ft. We werent thrilled with the situation of the master bed in the 25 ft and preferred the situation of the bed in the 27 ft. That was the only difference besides 2 ft and 300lbs. We could go with the twin beds as an alternate and our kids would get the couch and dinette to sleep on.

Price ; now that is a huge difference between airstreams and regular trailers. However, nobody seems to sell their airstreams, whereas in a few years other trailers are ready for trading. We would prefer a new trailer so that seems between 40K and 50K. Ouch but its a once in a lifetime buy. Our logic also is that because my dh;s 50th birthday and our 25th year anniversary, it would be a great present. We were going to take some major trips this year, but may get an airstream instead.
rorykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hi, and welcome! If you're going to Columbus to shop, go on up to the factory in Jackson Center, OH and take the plant tour. It starts at 2PM, Monday - Friday, with Friday being with no workers present.

There are some used late model ones around. I wasn't in a hurry and found a 3 year old, barely used (I mean the stickers were still on the stove and shower and the injection threads were still visible on the tires). Have never regretted the buy.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
That once in a lifetime buy doesn't work the way you think. Look at my signature. Airstreams gets into your blood.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A 27' FB should be well over "40K and 50K" if you buy new. Look for used and let someone else eat the depreciation. Also, check Colonial RV in NJ on their website. They have a lot of trailers, lots of photos, and you can check their prices.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums. Lots of good information and nice folks here, with a few grouches.

We chose a new trailer a few years back, after having an older trailer first. We have a 27' front bed and like it a lot.

I prefer the twin bed arrangement, because of the open floor space it provides in the bed room, however she liked the queen. The twins also make the trailer a bit more useful for a trip with folks who don't normally sleep together.

We owned a couple fifth wheels first, and got tired of the "how big can we get" thing, and prefer the Airstream.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Find a rally and check them out.

Best Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
Hi!!

Welcome aboard....We started out with a 1984 30ft Avion. Had it for 2 1/2 years. Loved it, but always said, "Wish it were an AS." We also looked at new AS, but my husband wanted "BIGGER." Well, he found it.....a 34' AS...2011....pre-owned, but still smelled new, since the PO's barely used it. It was a chunk of change, but like you, we are in our early 50's, married 30 years and look forward to using this now and well into our retirement. We consider it our "vacation home" on wheels. We are currently planning our Yellowstone trip that we are taking this summer . Our 15 year old has no idea what she is in for......! What an adventure!!!
Go ahead....jump in with both feet. You won't regret it...we haven't!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Welcome! Took us about 9 months to buy our new 27' FB. I did months of research and finally purchased at Colonial in NJ and drove her home to Colorado. Got an amazing deal on a 2012 because the 2013's were out! We love our 27' and couldn't imagine any other trailer than an Airstream. I agree, go to the AS factory in Jackson Center! We went twice last year! Good luck!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
It took us very little time to purchase once we got to the point of visiting dealers. I agree that a trip to the factory is informative and worthwhile for any Airstream owner or owner-to-be.

My one caution is that I believe it is folly to choose a dealer solely on cost or discount. You need a good working relationship with a dealer for many reasons. Even if you elect to use Jackson Center for warranty work a dealer can be invaluable for those situations that fall between the cracks. Colonial Airstream has been nothing but the best and our Airstream experience would be less without their help. That kind of service is impossible to put a price tag on....
Have fun shopping and enjoy your Airstream!
Bruce
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Troutstream

2006 28' International CCD
Centerville , Ohio
Take your time and shop around. I live a couple hours south of Jackson Center. However, due to the limited number of dealerships around when we purchased our Airstream in 2009, we found ours out of state. We found a 2006 International CCD that was 28 feet in length at Airstream of Western Pennsylvania. It had sat on their lot for more than two years so we got a screaming deal. It was sold new with a full warranty but without the hefty price tag of the current models. They are expensive but there is no competition in the market. I have three kids and zero buyers remorse. Check out the factory tour and definitely use the Colonial Airstream website. They are both great resources. I like the 27FB model and it seems popular. The 28 is a nice layout as well. It works for my wife and I and our three kids. Happy Airstream hunting. Let us know how it ends.
TROUTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Dealership

I have to agree with the previous poster who talked about the value of the dealership. Whether it's for major work or just some sound advice, the owning of an airstream is much easier with a good dealer. For us, that was Colonial. We've used them for alot of hand holding.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Bridgeville , Pennsylvania
We are thinking of going to the dealer in Ohio in a few weeks. Does anyone know if the factory is near the dealer in Columbus?

Just to see other dealers is a good idea.

Thanks

d
rorykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorykirk View Post
We are thinking of going to the dealer in Ohio in a few weeks. Does anyone know if the factory is near the dealer in Columbus?

Just to see other dealers is a good idea.

Thanks

d
About 1 hour and 17 minutes from Columbus to Jackson Center! Worth the trip to the factory. Good luck!
Air #62992
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
d,

Take the factory tour—it is every weekday for about 2 hours in the afternoon.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
If you decide to purchase a new unit contact Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, N.J. for a price comparision. We compared prices on new units in FL, GA, TN, NC and Colonial, by far, had the best price.
Happy shopping

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
If you decide to purchase a new unit contact Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, N.J. for a price comparision. We compared prices on new units in FL, GA, TN, NC and Colonial, by far, had the best price.
Happy shopping
Couldn't agree more! Not only did Colonial have a WAY better price, their service is exceptional!
Air #62992
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
27 over 25

We spent a lot of time evaluating 25 and 27 ft models. The 27 FB has an island style bed that we like much better than the side to side orientation of the 25. The extra two feet show up in the galley in the form of wider under counter drawers a larger pantry on one side a more hanging space in the closet. Going into our third season, we're really glad we got the 27.

I'm not sure, but I believe if you want a new one, you'll pay more than $70k now.
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
My local RV dealer has a 27' FB Flying Cloud on consignment. Not sure if its a 2011 or 2012. The previous owner bought it new and after a couple of trips decided he wanted a 5th wheel as he has a couple of children. Really nice unit!
If you want to call the number is (706) 935-8883 in Ringgold GA which is on I-75 about 15 miles south of Chattanooga.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote