Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Heat pumps down to the 30's, propane furnace, heated mattress cover AND electric blanket-

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #42
Ldytraveller

1998 34' Excella 1000
1990 29' Airstream 290
Algonquin Highlands , Ontario
Have owned a 29 ft Twin and now have a 34 ft Queen. Agree with all your points. Look at what is most important and what will impact your enjoyment of the trailer. Functionality of small spaces can make or break your enjoyment of the whole experience. Does your wife/partner have the same priorities? If not, then spending longer periods of time in the trailer will definitely give you your answer. We are fine with either but I think that is because the 34 ft wide body has reasonable space on either side of the Queen as well as more storage. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuechte View Post
Ok so before you blow up on me based on the title, I have searched and searched and compiled all the info I have come across on the topic, but still feel I am at a crossroads.

I personally have chosen the 27' International Serenity for my first Airstream, but can't decide which bed option. I like the 27' over the 25' for the additional countertype space, and closet space, not to mention the sideways queen in the 25' is a horrible idea and waste of space IMO, and am not a fan of the 28, or 30' layouts. So here are the differences I have complied:

Queen Bed Positive Attributes: (only talking the fore/aft facing bed 27', 28', 30', not the side to side queen in the 25')
- Mostly all internal storage under the bed for those who prefer that vs. external
- Easier to snuggle with a loved one/nookie, and more like living at home
- Only one set of bedding to purchase/maintain
- If you have kids and enjoy it, morning/nighttime spent in the bed as a family is more of an option
- Dual nightstands, one for each individual
- Bed is centralized so you are not against a cold wall
- More realistic to upgrade the mattress if you want, to say sleep number, or temperpedic

Twin Bed Positive Attributes:
- Slightly longer beds for taller individuals
- More internal hanging storage (at the foot of the beds)
- Easier to access overhead storage
- More usable area to get dressed between the beds
- More external storage for those who prefer that
- Underbed storage could be argued to be easier to access
- Single large central night stand with drawer
- Combined bed width is wider than a queen
- Area can act as more than just a bedroom, easier to setup a table/hang out
- Dual beds work out better if you are using it for hunting or say with a buddy/not someone you normally sleep with

To me and my plans for use the most significant attributes of the queen option are:
- Hanging out with the kids when it makes sense

As for the Twin bed option:
- More area to get dressed in
- Area can be used as more than just a bedroom.

According to Colonial Airstream they sell a 50/50 split between queens, and twins, so there is no standout reason to buy one vs. the other based on sales volumes.
I have seen several posts where people convert from the queen bed option to the twin, but never from the twin to the queen.....
But in the end I am not seeing anything that is strongly swaying me one way or the other, and hope maybe others incite can help...

So that was a lot of background information to get to my question...

Those who have owned both the queen bed option and the twin bed option, (only 27' or above please, 25' sideways queen is just dumb IMO), which setup do you prefer and why?
I am just looking for opinions from those with actual experience with both.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
WE just (2 days ago) put our deposit down on a 2018 25'FB Twin Serenity. The deciding factor for us to get the twin beds was the defense against the evil DUTCH OVEN!!! Ever had one of those? I try to keep my wife away from garlic but she loves garlic and I prefer to NOT WAKE UP DEAD.
astroboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have had both and for me the extra space the twins offered in the 25 made a big difference in the useable floor area. It was also more versatile when you load the thing up with friends and family. Snuggling can still happen with twins. Just more of a snuggle. Jim
Old 05-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
One other benefit of twins that I did not see mentioned. Twins make it easier to add a topper for just one person, if that is necessary for a good night's sleep. That was critical for us.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 Argosy 24
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuechte View Post
Ok so before you blow up on me based on the title, I have searched and searched and compiled all the info I have come across on the topic, but still feel I am at a crossroads.

I personally have chosen the 27' International Serenity for my first Airstream, but can't decide which bed option. I like the 27' over the 25' for the additional countertype space, and closet space, not to mention the sideways queen in the 25' is a horrible idea and waste of space IMO, and am not a fan of the 28, or 30' layouts. So here are the differences I have complied:

Queen Bed Positive Attributes: (only talking the fore/aft facing bed 27', 28', 30', not the side to side queen in the 25')
- Mostly all internal storage under the bed for those who prefer that vs. external
- Only one set of bedding to purchase/maintain
- If you have kids and enjoy it, morning/nighttime spent in the bed as a family is more of an option
- Dual nightstands, one for each individual
- Bed is centralized so you are not against a cold wall
- More realistic to upgrade the mattress if you want, to say sleep number, or temperpedic

Twin Bed Positive Attributes:
- Slightly longer beds for taller individuals
- More internal hanging storage (at the foot of the beds)
- Easier to access overhead storage
- More usable area to get dressed between the beds
- More external storage for those who prefer that
- Underbed storage could be argued to be easier to access
- Single large central night stand with drawer
- Combined bed width is wider than a queen
- Area can act as more than just a bedroom, easier to setup a table/hang out
- Dual beds work out better if you are using it for hunting or say with a buddy/not someone you normally sleep with

To me and my plans for use the most significant attributes of the queen option are:
- Hanging out with the kids when it makes sense

As for the Twin bed option:
- More area to get dressed in
- Area can be used as more than just a bedroom.

According to Colonial Airstream they sell a 50/50 split between queens, and twins, so there is no standout reason to buy one vs. the other based on sales volumes.
I have seen several posts where people convert from the queen bed option to the twin, but never from the twin to the queen.....
But in the end I am not seeing anything that is strongly swaying me one way or the other, and hope maybe others incite can help...

So that was a lot of background information to get to my question...

Those who have owned both the queen bed option and the twin bed option, (only 27' or above please, 25' sideways queen is just dumb IMO), which setup do you prefer and why?
I am just looking for opinions from those with actual experience with both.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

http://www.weaselmouth.com/2013/08/1...stream-couple/
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We converted our Classic 28 to twin beds this winter. Just had our first weekend out with the new set up. It was great for all the reasons everyone has mentioned and the new memory foam mattresses were more comfy than our king size memory foam at home!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plano , Texas
too tall for RV queen

Not an owner yet but being 6'4" tall the reason the twin appeals to me as my feet won't hang over the edge of the bed like they would in a RV length queen. I sleep on a 80" King at home. Rumor is the 2018 models will have 80" twins in 26' + length models, even better. Another reason I'm getting an AS, never found a TT with 78" twins or a 80" Queen / King bed without getting into a 34' or longer TT (or moving up to a 5th wheel).
txnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by txnole View Post
Another reason I'm getting an AS, never found a TT with 78" twins or a 80" Queen / King bed without getting into a 34' or longer TT (or moving up to a 5th wheel).
If you look at the 23.5' Oliver you'll find that in twin bed it's 76.5" and in king (sideways) it's 79.5" sleeping length. Still not your exact measurements but pretty close.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:47 AM   #50
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm a little north of 6'5"'and have no trouble with the queen in a 23FB. I sleep on my side though. I just can't get used to the idea of not sleeping right next to the same person I have slept with for the last 40 years..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
If you sleep with someone with restless leg syndrome and fidgets all night the twin is my choice. Also your not climbing over or disturbing someone when getting out of bed with the twin. Its not like your life is over if you make the wrong choice.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:43 AM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plano , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
If you look at the 23.5' Oliver you'll find that in twin bed it's 76.5" and in king (sideways) it's 79.5" sleeping length. Still not your exact measurements but pretty close.
I looked at the Oliver, but their twin bed is only 30" wide and the inside dimension is 6'7" wide, both too narrow for me.
txnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I'm a little north of 6'5"'and have no trouble with the queen in a 23FB. I sleep on my side though. I just can't get used to the idea of not sleeping right next to the same person I have slept with for the last 40 years..

It's nice to be able to say that, and we both agree.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post

It's only been 19 years for us, but that is our exact same sentiment. I am almost 6'4" and sleep on my side as well and pull my feet up just enough. It works and we have slept on a queen bed in the house for many years. Our last RV we actually put a full size in instead of the shorter RV mattress and it was fine. We plan on doing that in the 26U as well and I don't think it will be an issue. I think we are eventually going to move our older Sleep Number queen into the 26U.
mwkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughart352 View Post
here goes: In your evaluation you use the words "i, me and my" about 11 times. Perhaps your partner should weigh in as to whether he or she wants to sleep with you or without you. That would help me decide.
. 🤣 roflmao!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Queen bed all the way. I don't care about the bit of extra storage cause if I'm camping with my other, I want to sleep with my other.
Also, our dogs live to come up in the morning and it makes our day
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:02 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Consider this, buy a twin, try it both ways and switch it yourself if you find you like queen. If you are tool handy it's not difficult.

As far as space for getting dressed, we always use the entire back end, if curtains in front are open, we just shut the door. We took out the accordion door, it was in the way.

The couple we bought our Airstream from used it as the twin layout it was, AND sometimes as a queen bed. They did not have twin mattresses, only the queen, and that was fine. Chris and I did not see ourselves sleeping apart then, we don't now, and it's not in our future. We upgraded the mattress to a type of memory foam, but switched to fullsize for added room to build our future dressers or closets.

Once Chris moved back to San Diego work on our Airstream began, if you are a "Firefly" fan, you'll understand why she is our Serenity, and we even tow our mule.

First Chris built overhead shelving for our Linens and Extra Pillows

Then I bought solid wood shelves and fabric bins as drawers and he installed them. They hold a LOT of clothing. We can carry enough for six months between the big and little closets, and these little dressers.
[

Behind the dressers he built shelving.

Lastly Chris built a headboard, we were absolutely certain about our choice for full size over twin by this time. The headboard lid swings up and inside we are able to store sleeping bags, tents, camp mats, daypacks, my drybag with tackle, and my yoga bag w/mat & towel.

3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:58 AM   #58
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
FWIW, when we bought our 2009 25FB Twin several years ago, the previous owner had made the entire front into a bed. He had removed the night stand and placed a custom made mattress on a platform between the twin beds making it convertible from twin to queen (or maybe even king).

We returned the configuration to the standard twin beds which we prefer but have kept the extra mattress and the platform so it could be again made in such a way that the entire bedroom is a bed. Might be a selling point to the next owner when we decide to sell.
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:38 AM   #59
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Queen

We've owned both, and we had to have the queen for the most obvious of reasons. The twin setup is the most efficient for more space. I just didn't sleep that well in the twin, so we moved up to bigger. Now a happy camper
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Twin Beds Vs. Queen Bed: Calling Those With Experience With Both...

I revisited your dilemma and since you really can't loose regardless of choice, make it a win win and let your wife choose. Since we live in the great white north, the cozy queen works best in the colder weather. Also see the all important cup holders in the two configurations. Marine add on for the twins and and an IKEA shelf for the queen. [ATTACH]285297[ATTACH]285298[
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0796.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	285297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	285298