RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #61

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Prineville , Oregon
Flying Cloud 23FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnuechte View Post
Ok so before you blow up on me based on the title, I have searched and searched and compiled all the info I have come across on the topic, but still feel I am at a crossroads.

I personally have chosen the 27' International Serenity for my first Airstream, but can't decide which bed option. I like the 27' over the 25' for the additional countertype space, and closet space, not to mention the sideways queen in the 25' is a horrible idea and waste of space IMO, and am not a fan of the 28, or 30' layouts. So here are the differences I have complied:

Queen Bed Positive Attributes: (only talking the fore/aft facing bed 27', 28', 30', not the side to side queen in the 25')
- Mostly all internal storage under the bed for those who prefer that vs. external
- Easier to snuggle with a loved one/nookie, and more like living at home
- Only one set of bedding to purchase/maintain
- If you have kids and enjoy it, morning/nighttime spent in the bed as a family is more of an option
- Dual nightstands, one for each individual
- Bed is centralized so you are not against a cold wall
- More realistic to upgrade the mattress if you want, to say sleep number, or temperpedic

Twin Bed Positive Attributes:
- Slightly longer beds for taller individuals
- More internal hanging storage (at the foot of the beds)
- Easier to access overhead storage
- More usable area to get dressed between the beds
- More external storage for those who prefer that
- Underbed storage could be argued to be easier to access
- Single large central night stand with drawer
- Combined bed width is wider than a queen
- Area can act as more than just a bedroom, easier to setup a table/hang out
- Dual beds work out better if you are using it for hunting or say with a buddy/not someone you normally sleep with

To me and my plans for use the most significant attributes of the queen option are:
- Easier to snuggle with a loved one/nookie, and more like living at home
- Hanging out with the kids when it makes sense

As for the Twin bed option:
- More area to get dressed in
- Area can be used as more than just a bedroom.

According to Colonial Airstream they sell a 50/50 split between queens, and twins, so there is no standout reason to buy one vs. the other based on sales volumes.
I have seen several posts where people convert from the queen bed option to the twin, but never from the twin to the queen.....
But in the end I am not seeing anything that is strongly swaying me one way or the other, and hope maybe others incite can help...

So that was a lot of background information to get to my question...

Those who have owned both the queen bed option and the twin bed option, (only 27' or above please, 25' sideways queen is just dumb IMO), which setup do you prefer and why?
I am just looking for opinions from those with actual experience with both.

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Had our AS converted to twin from queen by Airstream Adv. NW. Twin set up more practical more space more storage, had a custom Gun Case installed just works better for us.
MREDVDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:27 PM   #62

2018 16' Sport
Ofallon , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We are converting our 2008 Classic 25fb from queen to twin for all the reasons given above. Will get the wife extra blankets or a heating blanket if needed.

Kelvin
Hi KJRitchie, we're consider getting a 23fb Flying Cloud and converting it to a twin. ...curious as to how it turned out? Did you do it yourself?

thanks in advance
CradHltn is offline   Reply With Quote