Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Denver, NC , North Carolina
Transporting Bicycles

The age old question of the best way to carry your bicycles while towing. I'm not interested in a Fiamma Carry Bike (haven't used one but doesn't "seem" to be the best option based on mixed feedback it gets).

My current solution is a front hitch on TV - 2016 F-250 which I am not crazy about because bikes partially block my view and headlight obstruction on TV.

My real question, does anyone carry your bicycles inside the camper and if so how? I think this would be my preferred way but I am concerned about damage to interior. AS is a 2020 30ft International with twin beds.
bbcubed53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are plenty of options and depending on your travel patterns, some will work better than others.

We travel for many months every year and have accumulated 1/4 of a million miles of towing in 15 years. Bikes in the trailer would not work well for us as they would have to be removed every stop. If your travels are a couple of hours to a site for a long weekend or a couple of weeks and then return home, stowing them in the trailer might be a doable solution.

We traveled for many years with the bikes secured to the roof of truck cap in a pair of Sprocket Rockets. Either the bikes have gotten heavier or I have gotten a little older, but we now travel with the bikes on the Airstream bike rack on the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
We have towed with our bicycles in the trailer only once. Our Safari is only 22'. I had to take the front wheel off and put them on the bed. Didn't work out.
Others have mounted Bike block fork mounts inside.

I installed a front hitch and used that. Just as you stated. It did interfere with my view of the road. So, I modified the Yakima bike rake by cutting 6" off the riser. No interference with vision or headlights. Then there is the added feature of being able to use the front receiver for a cargo carrier or as a front hitch for maneuvering a trailer in tight spaces.

I have also got a roof rack for the bikes.

You having a pickup have a bed mounting options as well.

Happy trails
-Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9156.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	357613  
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
Ditto on front hitch and cutting it down to shorten height below truck hood. Access and human strength to lift bike (tandem) were factors, which made the front a lot easier for me. DW was a lot happier once it was lower. Good Luck!
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Byron , California
I have a 30 FC with the rear bedroom. We couldn't go with the Airstream rack because it could block the emergency escape. We have had this rack for the last year and half and it has worked well for thousands of miles. I don't like that the bikes are blasted by the rain and wind up there, but I also didn't like the mess they were in hanging off the back. This is a Airstream specific rack and they also have one that can work with the taller propane bottles, such as on the Classic.
They ride pretty securely, and these crappy California roads haven't been able to knock them off yet.

https://www.racksforcars.com/15147/A...ailer-Bracket/
obytheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm very happy with our Fiamma.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
And I am very happy hauling mine inside my ARE topper.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
I've done trail/street bikes on a roof rack. Its OK, but they get covered with bugs and dirt, and start to rust over time. Make sure to keep the chain lubricated!

For my very expensive Cervelo road bike, I carry it inside the trailer. The front wheel goes in the back seat of the F250, or in the bed under the tonneau cover. I mounted a front-fork bracket onto a 2x6 cut long enough to be braced between the couch and cabinet, such that the bike sits side to side across the floor, with the rear wheel closer to the door. To keep my co-pilot happy, I put an old towel under the rear wheel and chain/sprocket. We have carpeting, so things don't slide at all. Its out of the way when taking driving breaks, but it has to come out every night. Kind of a pain, but I love my bike!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had an idea last night. Mine applies to the 26, but maybe others use the same hardware. There is a fitting in the floor for a table leg. I thought about buying another leg, cutting it off to just a few inches, make a plug of (2) layers of 3/4" plywood to fit inside the tube and using that to mount a front fork clamp. The tube is 2 3/8" O.D. so the plug would be a 16" or so smaller.
The existing table leg locks in, and I leave half the table up and it's never flown off.
The bike would be facing forward, you could lash the rear tire to a board, so it didn't move in the hallway. Obviously, I don't have a picture, since it's only in my head.
(Cascade Depot sells the hardware that Airstream uses.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MPG2151 Install.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	357614   Click image for larger version

Name:	3691025_L__35409.1421090142.386.513.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	357615  

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
I am lucky enough to have a gaucho and lean one bike against it, and lean any others starting on the first bike. Bikes stay in place even when we hit some good bumps or rolling terrain. Sacrificial towels keep things from getting dirty.

On the future wish list is to install some recessed D rings in the trailer's flooring to actually secure a bike or two bike or two, but the gaucho method is keeping this far down on the list.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I put mine in the AS when it could rain etc.
1) You can get spring loaded bike stands on Amazon. I use one on the front tire and one on the rear tire. It locks the bike in place so it won't go forward or backward. BIKEHAND Bicycle Floor Type Parking Rack Stand - for Mountain and Road Bike Indoor Outdoor Nook Garage Storage.
2) I put the bikes in the aisle of my 28' AS. Then put blankets etc around them to prevent any scratching. Also I bought 2 yoga mats to put under the bikes to prevent any damage to the vinyl.
3) The cost is $85 per bike. Works very slick. We've never had a problem with bikes moving and we've done this about 5 or 6 times.

I also have a bike carrier on the front of the pickup that we use (I can also put it on the back). You want to take a bike carrier, because if you plan on taking your bikes to any trail it is very easy to just put them on the carrier without unloading the back of the pickup. And when the weather isn't bad we put the bikes on the front, because it is easier getting in and out of the AS when we don't have to mess with the bikes.

If you PM me I can show you how it works with some pictures.

It's also nice to have the bike rack holders when we use bike covers. It makes the bikes stand straight up and the cover fits over them easier.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 PM   #12
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post
I've done trail/street bikes on a roof rack. Its OK, but they get covered with bugs and dirt, and start to rust over time. Make sure to keep the chain lubricated!

For my very expensive Cervelo road bike, I carry it inside the trailer. The front wheel goes in the back seat of the F250, or in the bed under the tonneau cover. I mounted a front-fork bracket onto a 2x6 cut long enough to be braced between the couch and cabinet, such that the bike sits side to side across the floor, with the rear wheel closer to the door. To keep my co-pilot happy, I put an old towel under the rear wheel and chain/sprocket. We have carpeting, so things don't slide at all. Its out of the way when taking driving breaks, but it has to come out every night. Kind of a pain, but I love my bike!
I have roof racks (fork mount, with wheel holders) but we only use them when the weather is good, and we otherwise need the space inside the SUV.

We have used rear racks, but don’t like the amount of dirt that the bikes collect from being in the low pressure zone. Mountain bikes wouldn’t be an issue IMO. Our Sequoias are fine there. A piece of 1x4 with two fork mounts attached to it fits two bikes longitudinally in a trailer aisle or in the back of the SUV, if we remove the saddles. My copilot is happy since her Cervello is inside with mine. And if the Zipp wheels are on the roof they come inside when we park and can’t see/monitor the vehicle.

There is no one answer for us, it depends on the bikes we take, the competition for space inside, the weather, and the theft risk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we recommend the Fiamma Carry Bike
especially if you do not tow with a pickup truck
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I had an idea last night. Mine applies to the 26, but maybe others use the same hardware. There is a fitting in the floor for a table leg. I thought about buying another leg, cutting it off to just a few inches, make a plug of (2) layers of 3/4" plywood to fit inside the tube and using that to mount a front fork clamp. The tube is 2 3/8" O.D. so the plug would be a 16" or so smaller.
The existing table leg locks in, and I leave half the table up and it's never flown off.
The bike would be facing forward, you could lash the rear tire to a board, so it didn't move in the hallway. Obviously, I don't have a picture, since it's only in my head.
(Cascade Depot sells the hardware that Airstream uses.)
I put a fork mount like that on the front of the nightstand between the twin beds. I use it on occasion, but mostly my two bikes travel inside the tow vehicle (attached to boards with fork mounts and wheels off).
Old 12-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
What I have settled on is a cap on the truck, with the bikes out of the weather. I don't like the idea of moving the bikes in and out of the trailer, pretty sure I'd eventually damage something or other.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190222_171259_resized.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	357635   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_171309_resized_1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	357636  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
If you have a truck inside the back is really the best place for bikes but if you want them on the back we have a nice tidy carrier that we have been building for 20 years now.

- It only weighs 12 pounds.
- Carries the bikes very close to the back of the Airstream so no leverage on
the chassis and no bounce.
- For lightweight bikes it can carry 3.
- It spreads the loads to both the chassis and body.
- Swings down with or without the bikes for access to the rear storage or
rear hatch.
- Easily removable when not needed at all.
- Works on a Sport with no bumper
- Can easily be adapted to carry a tandem.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03986 (Medium).JPG
Views:	138
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	357640   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03992 (Medium).JPG
Views:	162
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	357641  

Name:	Sport Bike Carrier.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	357642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	357643  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It is interesting that people haven't really read the OP's post. He doesn't want a carrier on the back of the Airstream. He wants to put them inside.

I quote: "I'm not interested in a Fiamma Carry Bike (haven't used one but doesn't "seem" to be the best option based on mixed feedback it gets)."
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we tried putting the bikes inside. i DO NOT recommend it stored inside

each time we had to remove the table and some cushions. we then had to move the bikes outside and lock them up.

when traveling, no matter how much we tried, the bikes would always get dinged and scratches.

its also a pain to move them each day we traveled

with the carriers, the bikes stay as is, no issue when driving like some who put them out in front of the TV to catch all the bugs and limit their vision.
some like to put them atop the rear of their pickup. No good for short people or those that cant move heavy objects high in the air.

thus the rear carrier is the best solution IMHO.

please DOT NOT flame me, as these are simply my opinions
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we tried putting the bikes inside. i DO NOT recommend it stored inside

each time we had to remove the table and some cushions. we then had to move the bikes outside and lock them up.

when traveling, no matter how much we tried, the bikes would always get dinged and scratches.

its also a pain to move them each day we traveled

with the carriers, the bikes stay as is, no issue when driving like some who put them out in front of the TV to catch all the bugs and limit their vision.
some like to put them atop the rear of their pickup. No good for short people or those that cant move heavy objects high in the air.

thus the rear carrier is the best solution IMHO.

please DOT NOT flame me, as these are simply my opinions
Please read my post above. We just don’t have a problem with putting them inside. We have a very easy system for taking them in and out. The system costs about $85 per bike. No holes. No drilling. No removing anything from the bikes likes wheels. It takes about 5 minutes.

We have travelled many miles this way and they do not move at all. We’ve had no scratches, no dings, no dents. Simple, easy, effective, and cheap.

Also the brackets we use are easy to take out and set up outside and make the bikes very stable for storing outside.

Plus we have the added benefit of putting our bike carrier on the front of the pickup so that if we want to take the bikes somewhere it’s very very easy to do. Whereas if you have the bike carrier on the back of the Airstream and you want to take the bikes to a trail, then that’s a problem.

One simply does not have to put them on the back of the Airstream.

I’m actually surprised more people haven’t done it this way.

Part of the problem is that you have a 22’ AS. Thus not a long enough aisle. That may be your problem. But the OP has a 30’ and will have no problem with the system we have.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcubed53 View Post
The age old question of the best way to carry your bicycles while towing. I'm not interested in a Fiamma Carry Bike (haven't used one but doesn't "seem" to be the best option based on mixed feedback it gets).

My current solution is a front hitch on TV - 2016 F-250 which I am not crazy about because bikes partially block my view and headlight obstruction on TV.

My real question, does anyone carry your bicycles inside the camper and if so how? I think this would be my preferred way but I am concerned about damage to interior. AS is a 2020 30ft International with twin beds.
You probably like your current tow vehicle well enough. I am going to go out on a limb and suggest you consider towing with a full size van like a Chevy Express/GMC Savana (not the cargo version but with a full factory interior) in a 2500/3500 series or a Nissan NV3500. Plenty of tow capacity for your 30' AS, lots of cargo capacity and you can custom order up a brand new one with all the bells and whistles for around $42k. Check out the Chevy/GMC website for a build/price menu. Take out some of the seats and you have all kinds of room for all your stuff, bikes included. I am sure you can guess by now we tow our 25' AS with a 2013 Ford E150 XLT Premium van (not a cargo van, has a full factory leather interior with seating for 7) with factory max tow pkg. Does a great job. All our travel stuff dry and secure inside including a Champion 3500 dual fuel generator (we only use propane). 2520 LBS of cargo capacity and a 8600 LB gross vehicle weight rating and a 14,000 LB combined vehicle weight rating. The E250/E350 vans are rated even higher. Give it some thought.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote