Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
PORTLAND , OR
Trailers for 6'8" Husband

We've been looking for a fixer trailer and have heard the 1960s Airstreams have the tallest interior height.
Anyone out there know the tallest interior height models and years?
Airstream or otherwise?
Thanks so much!
LoYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I'm no expert on all the Airstream details across years and models but generally the interior heights of trailers before the most recent models are 6' 3." The current models (with ducted AC) are 6' 7.5"

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Airstream for tall guy

Call Airstream of South Florida in Ft. Myers. Ask to talk to one of there Sales Reps named Bruce "Tall Guy" Miller. He may have some tips on how to live in an Airstream when height matters. He is at least 6'8" and then some. Really nice guy. He and his wife used to work for Hadocy Airstream in Columbus, Ohio but moved to Florida a few years back. Good luck with your search.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 28' Ambassador
Libertyville , Illinois
Check out this 2011 thread from Darkspeed called Shell off Headroom Epiphany.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f53...any-79254.html
Short563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Headroom

6’8” is indeed tall. How far down into the trailer the air conditioner reaches would be a factor if you have air-conditioning on top of the trailer. Likewise at some point if you were to increase the headroom and put an air conditioner on top of the trailer you would start to literally run into low overpasses on some roads. In other words, the maximum headroom of any potential trailer would then be limited by the number of roads you would be able to safely navigate. I have seen a few overpasses that are less than 10 feet in height. Once you factor in the height of the trailer, the axle clearance and tire diameter plus the air conditioner on top you might emerge on the other side missing something.

Some fifth wheels have plenty of headroom in the kitchen and living areas, but might be low overhead in the bedroom area. However, the largest fifth wheels are indeed limited in the areas in which they can travel and set up camp.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Owned a sailboat with reduced head room. Learned the humble head bow. Made the AS a non-issue

The bed is easily lengthened to a full CalKing and a few more inches can be added with a filler at the head. At 6-4 I can not relate to an additional 4". Going to be difficult in most ASs.

If I had to have an AS, lowering the floor as part of a full shell off renovation would be how I would proceed. Lots of work, but an interesting project.

Might be worth a call to Ultimate Airstream and see if they have done a special shell throughs the factory.

Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2018 16' Sport
1962 22' Safari
Corvallis , Oregon
I am also 6'8", we have the 16' Bambi, the AS has more headroom than most of the SOB we looked at, the AC is always an issue (hangs down), the you will find the bath's/shower's a little challenging. But I have avoided head blows, but you have to dip going in and out of the door! I found the AS better than most but the world was not built for "real tall" folks, but I love camping and make it work.
WBCCI #7944
skitger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Simple answer: none of them are perfect for a 6'4" guy. Add another 4" and it's even worse.

Issues:

1) The shower. Sure you can bend down a bit. None of them have room to bend much and still get in the shower.

2) The beds. Again, you can sleep curled up in a ball. If you want to be able to stretch out, none of them will work.

3) Entry door. The AS aluminum door is a pretty standard design over the years. You *will* have to duck.

4) Seating. Unless he's 6'4" with a 30" inseam, there will be legroom issues when trying to use the standard dinette setup. If he *does* have a 30" inseam, most configurations will have headroom issues when seated here or there.

5) The previously mentioned gotcha's with A/C units and the like.

Simple answer is that they just don't make RV's with big folks in mind. Same issue with trucks (which I rarely fit well in ....)

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
6' 8" Ceiling Height.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoYates View Post

We've been looking for a fixer trailer and have heard the 1960s Airstreams have the tallest interior height.
Airstream or otherwise?
Thanks so much!

Greetings LoYates,

See the attached screenshot from the Living Vehicle website..... their interior ceiling height is listed right at 6' 8".

Cheers.

wv2017

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LV interior height (6'8).png
Views:	120
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	372972  
Old 07-15-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
In our 2019 GT 27 twin, my 6'4" husband fits and doesn't have to duck, he does hang his brains on any upper storage locker left open, but we consider that personal problem. He also fits pretty well in the extra long twin beds, the shower if he sits down and the toilet with the bathroom door open.

Our 6'7" son fits more or less, the entire experience is a bit tighter, but he does manage to miss the open overhead lockers more often than his dad and he likes the beds. The shower and bathroom are a bit of a joke...relatively useless for him.

However, our tall nephews (6'8"plus...) still have to duck walk throughout the entire thing, although they are young and spry and don't mine hunching over or squeezing into a tight space.

All that said, we've had 2 other brand trailers with plenty of headroom. The first was a 1998 Coleman tent trailer with 2 king sized bed pull outs...think that one was about 7 feet when set up. The other was a Starcraft hybrid with "real" queen sized beds. That one was a little shorter, but my husband only cracked his head repeatedly on the doorframe and that was upholstered (less blood that way).

We spent years looking for a big and tall version of a trailer!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Owings , Maryland
My husband is 6’3 and my two teen boys are close. Your best bet is to go look at as many RV’s as you can. It’s not only height but general space. Wide shoulders on a tall guy can be an issue on their own. We’ve walked through so many brands and my husband even climbs into the shower and lays on the bed.

At his height he’s not super super tall so he has More options. We have an rv now where the end of the bed is open so his feet can hang off. Or since it’s a twin to king type bed he can lay diagonally if we put the center in for the king size. He fits in a lot of showers only because of the extra dome on top. He’s always taller than the spray. He likes the idea of wet baths because he can sit on the toilet while washing if he needs to. He can’t use a lot of showers with hard doors easily. He hits the walls with his elbows. Shower curtains are better and can often be modified to hang further away at the top.

When we looked at airstreams it really depends on the model and layout. It’s worth checking out as many as you can.
Lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
on the road , TN
Greeting All
That seems to be a problem the trailer interior height! Height has always been a problem with tall people ! Well we bought a Flying Cloud left over and i have No problems inside, now the air is duct and heat is the same so there is nothing hanging down like in the past Airstreams! In ours we have a couch that turns into a long bed and that works great! I like to even sleep on the couch when turned into a bed! The shower is ok yes small but i take one everyday ! It has a split Bathroom on one side shower across from it!!
The Bed Seems fine for me and i use a wedge which helps!
Good luck with your search! We love the Flying Cloud Models! See you down the road, safe traveling!
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
height.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoYates View Post
Airstream or otherwise?
Thanks so much!
My 1964 22' safari is 6' 7'' floor to ceiling.......
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Trailers for 6'8" Husband

All I know is my official height is 5’ 12” ** and I have to carefully duck to get out the door or past the air conditioning return duct. Fortunately the bed is still long enough.

** according to my draft card. Was issued by a lady at a typewriter. She asked my height, and I told her 5’ 11 3/4” Which is my exact height. She replied, “I’ll just round that off.” True story.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
All I know is my official height is 5’ 12” ** and I have to carefully duck to get out the door or past the air conditioning return duct. Fortunately the bed is still long enough.

** according to my draft card. Was issued by a lady at a typewriter. She asked my height, and I told her 5’ 11 3/4” Which is my exact height. She replied, “I’ll just round that off.” True story.
You mean, that was your exact height. I understand at a certain age we start to shrink. Also, when we go to bed, we lengthen out, then shrink again as gravity compresses our spines when we rise.

So, this means all the tall people need to do is wait until they fit, and then only use the Airstream when upright. Oh, yeah, and being barefoot helps too.

I just love helping people solve problems.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
on the road , TN
Height

Greetings
Yes but i lucked out 6' 6'' ! The new Airstreams yes there is nothing hanging down from the ceiling anymore not a thing! But that is newer trailers! Flying Cloud is really put together nicely!
Yes the shower is tight! But in 2019 they made a 26U Flying Cloud where the shower area was taller, all in one bathroom! The Kitchen table was able to separate and have even more room and was taller even with a wheel chair be used or for us tall guys! Ample room and it came in Twin Beds and Queen bed
a queen bed going side ways can always be made longer for taller people!
Stop at Colonial Airstream In NJ Off NJ Turnpike and take a look there is a lot to look at used trailers and new ones are there in many sizes and models!
And yes i did purchase from them! Ask For Patrick !
And was a rear bedroom model!! See you all down the road , Travel Safely Always!
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The internationals upper lockers have sliders instead of swing out doors. A member here who is 7 feet tall has one. He does shower sitting down and appreciates the head banger cushion on the door.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Marysville , Ohio
I feel for you! I am 6'6" so not quite as tall but went thru this whole process a while back trying to find the best trailer to fit in. In all my research from Airstream product brochures, I found that the '50s are going to be 6'3" or 4"; the '60s are 6'5" to 6"; and the late '60s to mid/late '70s are 6'7". I'm not sure about trailers newer than that as we wanted an older trailer. If you're in for trying to find a unicorn, Airstream did make a trailer in 1949 called the Cruiser 24' "Limited". It was advertised as having a 6'9" interior height and a 91" interior width.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I have a 1960 28' that was built for a tall person. It's still only 6'7" tall inside but there are no lights in the ceiling, all are on the side walls, and one bed is 6'6" the other is 6'. At the time you could order any change you wanted.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Fifth wheels.
Most have 7' headroom or more, and real 80" king or queen beds.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote