Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Lincoln , Nebraska
Trailer delivery companies

Has anyone had any recent experience with independent trailer delivery services. What is the average costs.
Thanks 79fasteddie
79fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Never for trailers but for cars. This industry is totally unregulated make sure you read the fine print and make sure you know the companies background
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What are you looking to have delivered and from where?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Lincoln , Nebraska
trailer delivery

Nothing yet, just trying to get some feed back on this subject. I have a 3/4 ton but may not be able to have time to go get a trailer when I hopefully purchase one in the very near future.
Thanks 79fasteddie
79fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Fee will be zip code to zip code. DOT requires insurance, other legalities. Search under RV Transport. Horizon, and others.

Trailer needs to have good tires plus any brake/bearing service done beforehand.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Most shipping is still organized via a Central Dispatch system with the independent hauler picking jobs from that list.

I have shipped two motorhome in the last 12 months. Cost was typically in the $2.5-3 per mile range but the biggest issue was getting the job accepted. Over long distances, the hauler will typically pick a 'return' or 'next destination' job to suit, so the job can sit on Central Dispatch for weeks. All the brokers seem to just make a entry on Central Dispatch so the prices they quote are simply what they think a 1/2 journey (assuming the hauler will pick-up a return) will cost. If they 'bid' too low it also reduces the possibility of the job being picked up, in the past I have turned down multiple brokers 'bids' because I know they are too low and wont be picked up.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I just had my 23' trailer shipped by Showroom Transport and had a great experience. They were recommended by Colonial Airstream. Cost ended up being about $1.75 per mile, all inclusive.
vrzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

I learned about an operation called "uShip" the other day. It's has some connection with eBay and allows multiple shippers to bid on your shipment. A friend had sold a motorcycle on eBay and when the shipper arrived to pick it up for transport, he was towing an Airstream that was destined for another delivery. That triggered my interest and conversation with the driver. It might be interesting to see what competitive bids would come from this but Extreme Caution Advised before engaging anyone. It appears to be a user satisfaction based oversight like eBay. uShip.com is the url.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Rowdycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rowdycat, welcome. Is that your company?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I have personal experience with Mark the Airstream Guy as well as UShip. Positive experiences with both. Mark is very experienced but depending on location and timing may not be available. UShip is essentially an auction site for shipping companies. You post your requirements (dates, locations, type of transport) and companies bid for the job. I have used them twice with positive results. Just make sure you research the company before committing. I have gotten prices as low as $0.75 per mile because trucks are oftentimes deadheading home after a delivery and anything they make is better than nothing.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Victor , Idaho
I've used UShip as well, for a car, and the guy who got my contract also does trailers/motorhomes (can put on trailers or haul on their own). You can specify covered or open carriers as well. You can schedule the pickup out in the future and let shippers bid and build a route around your job, or you can post an auction for an immediate pickup and that way you can troll for deadheaders, like BambiTex mentioned, which can be cheaper. Read the comments/feedback on the shippers who are interested in your job and accept or reject the bids according to your comfort level. New guys with less feedback are sometimes cheaper than ones with proven track records.

Make sure they have an MC or DOT number and look them up yourself before accepting any bids. Here's a really good summary on how to use Uship. Using Uship to get the best shipping rate! | eBay

My total was about 1.75/mile as well, from a pretty new contractor.
KCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:37 AM   #12

AWCHIEF asked "is that your company?" No, no affiliation. Just thought it was an interesting idea and a possible way to ship. Glad to see others on the Forum having experience with the arrangement with good results.

Rowdycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdycat View Post
AWCHIEF asked "is that your company?" No, no affiliation. Just thought it was an interesting idea and a possible way to ship. Glad to see others on the Forum having experience with the arrangement with good results.

Thank you, no offense intended. Just thought it was an interesting first post. Sort of like some new commercial members make.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I used Uship two times since both of my trailers were out of state purchases.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:57 PM   #15
DebTip

1957 16' Bubble
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
We just used Mark the Airstream guy to transport our near perfect '57 Bubble from CA to TN. Disastrous results; he let the door fly into the trailer during transport, creating an ugly dent in 3 panels. Now we are having a terrible time finding an expert to fix it.
debtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #16

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
Airstream and TV shipping

Does anyone have experience with a company that will drive your rig across the country?
Thanks
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just got a quote from East Missouri to Phx for $1800. that was a little to high for us.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Following this thread and will check out to the uship option. Looking to move a trailer from Birmingham Al area to SW Va off Rt 81 and being quoted a ridiculous price of roughly $4 per mile. Am guessing the price went up as soon as they asked for a description of the trailer and I mentioned it was an Airstream.
If anyone has any ideas for what is essentially Rt 81 through most of west Tenn, would certainly welcome your thoughts.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd not use U-Ship.

See my post #5 above.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
The entrepreneur in me says this forum could use a section where Airstreamers can post a move they want to do and members could respond to it. I've moved a half dozen cars over the past 7 years and found very mixed results. The brokers are awful for the reasons specified above. For cars, I have a national enclosed mover and I just pay a bit more. For airstream you need someone who understands these are low clearance trailers with the pensive aluminum panels. Thus the members helping members idea.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote