Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #1881
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Missaviatrix,
A few years ago, a young couple with a 23d converted their lounge into a work station. Beautiful results. Search their name, The More We Explore, to (hopefully) see their work.
Hope this helps.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:05 AM   #1882
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2023 27' Globetrotter
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaviatrix View Post
Has anybody seen a 23FB conversion from the Queen bed to ONE twin bed and a desk (instead of the second twin bed)? I work remotely from my trailer and the dinette table and those seriously uncomfortable seat cushions are just not working.
A few years back someone posted pictures of exactly that. Looked real nice. I have no clue where I saw it. Bed was on fridge side of trailer. Don’t recall how the outside storage area was handled. I have considered it myself. Maybe Ultimate Airstreams did it ?!?
Jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #1883
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Also, I haven’t done it, but lots of AS owners have, that’s to swap out the foam in the cushions. The results are really positive, and I don’t think it’s really expensive or difficult.
Just an FYI.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #1884
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
Has anyone found/installed a permanent ladder to the roof on the back of your Airstream? I see them on other brands of travel travel trailers but can’t find one made specifically for attaching to an Airstream.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #1885
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Has anyone found/installed a permanent ladder to the roof on the back of your Airstream? I see them on other brands of travel travel trailers but can’t find one made specifically for attaching to an Airstream.
Do you really want to do that? The end caps are the most "fragile" of all the aluminum sections of the Airstream. Getting onto the roof from the rear of the trailer is a sure path do dents... big dents.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #1886
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Custom Order Without Dinette and Bed

I am thinking about ordering a new 23 FBT Globetrotter or customizing an older Flying Cloud.

Is it possible to order a new Globetrotter without dinette, upper cabinets over dinette and one of the twin beds?

Might AS offer a discount on orders without large items such as the dinette?

Thanks for any insights or suggestions.
DugsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #1887
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DugsLife View Post
I am thinking about ordering a new 23 FBT Globetrotter or customizing an older Flying Cloud.

Is it possible to order a new Globetrotter without dinette, upper cabinets over dinette and one of the twin beds?

You can order a trailer but the waiting list is long and growing longer. Thor Industries has eight billion in back orders.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #1888
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Last I knew, Airstream quit taking custom orders several years ago. Of course, it never hurts to ask your dealer.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:06 PM   #1889
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Driggs , Idaho
Angry No Bathroom Fan in 23FB???!!!

Really, no bathroom exhaust fan?? I spent how much, and have to cut a 6" hole in the roof myself and install my own bathroom fan?! Just a heads up to those of you looking at the 23 foot FB model, I hope you enjoy shower steam and bathroom smells throughout your camper. Unimpressed.
Guy Looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #1890
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2023 27' Globetrotter
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Looking View Post
Really, no bathroom exhaust fan?? I spent how much, and have to cut a 6" hole in the roof myself and install my own bathroom fan?! Just a heads up to those of you looking at the 23 foot FB model, I hope you enjoy shower steam and bathroom smells throughout your camper. Unimpressed.
The fan near the door pulls the moisture from the top of the door. Plus you have a huge window where the other trailers don’t have that. I love my bathroom.
Jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:10 AM   #1891
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
There really is a bathroom exhaust fan. If you look above the bathroom door, you'll see a vent slot. This is specifically designed to allow the Fantastic Fan to vent the bathroom. It works very well for steam and bathroom smells. As Jdubya mentioned above, there is also a very nice window in the bathroom if you need additional ventilation. It wasn't possible for Airstream to put another exhaust fan in the bathroom because of the curvature in the ceiling of the end cap. This wasn't an oversight, and again, it works very well if you understand how to use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream bathroom door.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	386470  

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #1892
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
And that awkward combo kind of works unless it's cold outside -- opening the rear window is just not a good idea for my spouse when showering unless you want to freeze. Or that means drawing out the warm air in the rest of the trailer through the Fantastic Fan that's in the kitchen ceiling.

This pic is from the International owners manual provided with my trailer. There's plenty of room in the bathroom ceiling.
It took several messages to Customer Service to even find out IF a bathroom ceiling fan was supposed to be there.
95K and no way to figure out how to vent a bathroom?
But if you "Drink the coolade" there are no faults in a Airstream...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 7.57.33 AM.png
Views:	56
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	386497  
Old 01-08-2021, 01:06 PM   #1893
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Oh, I wouldn't say there are no faults! I just don't have any issues with the bathroom fan issue. It works fine for me.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 01-08-2021, 01:26 PM   #1894
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
And that awkward combo kind of works unless it's cold outside -- opening the rear window is just not a good idea for my spouse when showering unless you want to freeze. Or that means drawing out the warm air in the rest of the trailer through the Fantastic Fan that's in the kitchen ceiling.
I'm not being critical here; maybe we don't know what we don't know... but my wife and I haven't found it to be too awkward to use the Fantastic Fan to vent the bathroom. You push the button when you're going into the bathroom, do what you need to do, then come out and push the button again. I agree with you on the window; it's not a good option when showering.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 01-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #1895
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
23 FB Twin and Desk

Quote:
Has anybody seen a 23FB conversion from the Queen bed to ONE twin bed and a desk (instead of the second twin bed)? I work remotely from my trailer and the dinette table and those seriously uncomfortable seat cushions are just not working.
I did a very rough drawing of that combination awhile back that might be of interest. I am now back in the market for a 23 FB but I think I will put the bed on the dinette side, place a small desk and monitor on the TV wall leaving room for a stressless lounge chair for reading.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23fb Revised 11:22.png
Views:	88
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	386525  
DugsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:08 AM   #1896
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Reno , Texas
Nice! However, trying to find a vendor that does these conversions is the problem. There are lots of DIYers on these forums, but no mention of reputable facilities set-up for this type of custom work.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #1897
Don P

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Ultimate Airstreams quoted me in the neighborhood of $11K to do such a conversion. I am in the process of doing it myself and will post a report when I am finished.
RollingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:36 AM   #1898
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Quote:
Originally Posted by DugsLife View Post

You’d probably have to work with a company like Ultimate Airstream in Oregon (I’m sure there are others). I’m not aware of custom order abilities minus the options list of course. The upper cabinet delete would actually be a lot more work. The factory interior end caps don’t go behind the upper cabinets like they once did.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:58 AM   #1899
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Driggs , Idaho
No Bathroom Fan in 23FB???!!!

Following up on the "missing" bathroom fan feature in the 23FB: The bathroom is very nice, spacious, and has a large window, which is an excellent natural light feature. And the exhaust fan located outside of the bathroom; I need to say that again, the exhaust fan located "outside of the bathroom" does work, so long as the bathroom window is open, and all other exterior openings in the trailer are closed. If another window, door or vent in the trailer is open, the fan is just as likely to draw air from that source as from the bathroom. My airstream trailer is very nice and finely made. That does not change the fact that this "missing" bath fan is a serious oversight on the part of airstream, which is the purpose of this discussion. Airstream, are you listening? There is plenty of room for install of a conventional 6" round exhaust fan in this ceiling, the "excuse" of the rounded end cap is just that, an excuse, that has no bearing in fact. They could have and should have installed a bath fan, they cheaped out and cut a corner. FYI, you can also install one of these 6" round fans in a horizontal application thru the side wall, such as behind the toilet. You can say all you want about your bathroom, but the fact is airstream cheaped out, and, they know it, and, they didn't tell us. Am I writing off airstream and airstream trailers? No! I'm hoping airstream is listening, and will at least in future do the right thing and correct this foolish error.
Guy Looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #1900
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lynn Haven , Florida
Just lucky, I guess

Quote:
I was fortunate enough to actually look at my airstream prior to buying it, so I knew there was no bath fan. I did not make the assumption that, because it was expensive, my desired features would be there. Hope you figure out something that will work for you. Poopouri toilet spray works great for bathroom smells, if you have not tried it, it may increase your comfort level with the bathroom.

Holly
Rntennis is offline   Reply With Quote