Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #1781
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Inverter

The inverter is for TV and Stereo Operation. Most brochures stipulate that function. The 1000 watt gives you a bit of flexibility when off grid, but really is not the size needed to go all electric. Hence the value of understanding your Amp Hour power usage budget, the power source supporting specific systems, and how to shift from one to the other if required for your objective. Pat

EDIT - but then you really know that, right? Welcome to the 23FB thread. You are going to like it here. Some very nice folks can help you along. Hope to see you down the road with a cup of coffee and a smile.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #1782
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The inverter is for TV and Stereo Operation. Most brochures stipulate that function. The 1000 watt gives you a bit of flexibility when off grid, but really is not the size needed to go all electric. Hence the value of understanding your Amp Hour power usage budget, the power source supporting specific systems, and how to shift from one to the other if required for your objective. Pat

EDIT - but then you really know that, right? Welcome to the 23FB thread. You are going to like it here. Some very nice folks can help you along. Hope to see you down the road with a cup of coffee and a smile.

Pour over or French press!
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:04 AM   #1783
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2013 25FB International Serenity had a 650 watt factory inverter. It was a big advertising deal when they started installing 1,000 watt inverters. They still put the same cheap batteries into the trailer so there was no actual gain in usefulness.

We went to the Albuquerque Ballon Festival in 2013. It got very cold at night. The furnace ran. The battery voltage was very low in the morning. We had a non-factory 150 watt solar panel on the roof. It was a joke as were the two 52 watt factory panels that were on offer as a factory option. Fortunately I had a pair of 2,000 watt Honda generators and could promptly recharge the batteries.

If the furnace has to run all night, then a serious solar panel system would be necessary to bring the battery system back to full charge.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #1784
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I've been having mild vertigo over the last month or so. I finally decided to go to my doctor, actually he retired many years ago... it has been 10 years... so its a new man a Dr. Cao. I am excited to tell you that it is now confirmed by a medical professional that I have rocks in my head.

Its called: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common causes of vertigo — the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that the inside of your head is spinning. BPPV causes brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness. It is usually triggered by specific changes in your head's position. The root cause is Canalith something like calcium. Calcium is close enough for me to call it rocks.

I'm pretty sure many of you have known this for years.

Miclizine (Dramamine) reduces the dizziness. But, it makes me dull and not talkative (you wish!).

So, now that I can climb a ladder again, the latest project is to install the cheap (but not low buck) Winegard Air(not the fancy one) which lets me remove the Bat Wing antenna and install two 100w Eclipse panels, giving me 500w on the roof.

I am also going to the Weboost OTR antenna (looks like a black beer can). I tested it on the cargo conversion and it works fabulously. Pictures as I progress. By the way, I changed my user name from WW to Fair Enough.... fair enough?

FE
Old 08-21-2020, 04:43 PM   #1785
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2023 27' Globetrotter
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair_Enough View Post
I've been having mild vertigo over the last month or so. I finally decided to go to my doctor, actually he retired many years ago... it has been 10 years... so its a new man a Dr. Cao. I am excited to tell you that it is now confirmed by a medical professional that I have rocks in my head.

Its called: Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common causes of vertigo — the sudden sensation that you're spinning or that the inside of your head is spinning. BPPV causes brief episodes of mild to intense dizziness. It is usually triggered by specific changes in your head's position. The root cause is Canalith something like calcium. Calcium is close enough for me to call it rocks.

Miclizine (Dramamine) reduces the dizziness. But, it makes me dull and not talkative (you wish!).

So, now that I can climb a ladder again, the latest project is to install the cheap (but not low buck) Winegard Air(not the fancy one) which lets me remove the Bat Wing antenna and install two 100w Eclipse panels, giving me 500w on the roof.

I am also going to the Weboost OTR antenna (looks like a black beer can). I tested it on the cargo conversion and it works fabulously. Pictures as I progress. By the way, I changed my user name from WW to Fair Enough.... fair enough?

FE
Good news on getting your vertigo under control. I suffer that when first lying down and have always been worried what would happen if it occurred when standing. Looking forward to your updates.
Jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #1786
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:

FE

I, too, have BPPV from time to time, it can be pretty awful. I have had at least some success with the Epley Maneuver. You probably already know about that, but just in case... https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...e%20your%20ear.

Have a super-great weekend!

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #1787
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the recent OT discussion and link . . . helpful.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:29 AM   #1788
Wolfwhistle

Thanks Rob. I was shown how maneuvering works. And, tried it - DIY - extending my jaw, like in a big yawn and tilting head to the left helps (for me). Haven’t been wobbly or dizzy for 2 days. Makes me appreciate the health I have. I am blessed. This forum is also a blessing... there are many things I have learned and can now do that I couldn’t have done otherwise. It has cost me lots of money, but you never see a Brinks truck following a hearse.
FE
Old 08-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #1789
Wolfwhistle

So, the latest mods. I had 300w Eclipse (3x100) with Trimetric 30a SCC in place. I ran 6awg previously, up to the roof knowing I might add another panel.

By removing the batwing antenna and taking a chance on how well a Winegard 360 will work, I removed the crank up antenna which opened up the whole left rear corner of the roof real estate. A 4th panel would be symmetrical and look good from the air, but it worked out beautifully to add the fourth and fifth of the same model. I had bought two with the intention of making a portable setup several months back.

I like those Renogy panels; they make 17.1 Vmp and 5.7 Imp using 32 cells instead of the usual 36; making them shorter than most.

This size worked well. Letting me place one east- west and the other behind it north-south.

I had enough termination points in the DIY combiner, which I was sweating.

I made a plate to cover the crank up holes; using the same screw holes. I mounted a 2 port entrance thingy to the plate. With entry glands; sealed well facing the rear.

I decided to install the new antenna dome over the existing radio antenna location; behind the vent dome; close as possible to it, because the roof starts to round off; the antenna diameter quite large at about 17 in.

The other cable runs to my new weboost antenna to the booster location.

I went with their OTR model, an omni-directional that is now available ala cart and preferred by my friends Chris and Cherie- Technomadia. The top part is about the size of a 16 oz beer can. I didn’t use the extra vertical rod that it comes nor the cable and mounting hardware. The top is above the a/c but not too high, I hope. I mounted it on a custom plate onto boat-type lay down mount then the mount onto an aluminum plate to the roof. I need to find a SS nut the same size as 1” PVC. It’s NPT straight 11.5 threads per inch and, remove the female plastic bushing.

All attachments to the roof use 3M 4941 with edges - feet - buried in Alpha self leveling sealant.

To make the transition from SMA to F type, on the weboost antenna I found adapters on Amazon.

The 360 OTA antenna comes with a built in radio antenna. It uses F type connection, as well.

I unscrewed the radio antenna apart and pulling it inside, I cut off the end and spliced it to a piece of RG6 that I ran back up to the antenna sealed with a rubber grommet. The splice is covered in aluminum foil and taped to hopefully keep out RF interference. There is no practical way I could see to run a new cable all the way to the radio. Access to the old antenna is via the left ceiling light, facing aft. Those devils can snap Like a mouse trap.

I need to now get her (Miss MODesty) outside, bathe and polish and see how many watts she can make.

With two hurricanes coming close it might be a few days before I get the sun to cooperate. 27 to 28 amps at 14.4 volts at the battery would be nice. Fingers crossed.
FE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A442BFF4-C292-4A01-A1CA-534ECF612E87.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	376670   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B378E1-020B-4D0D-AF45-3D791F297FEF.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	376671  

Name:	A0FE0853-2EC2-48D1-960A-03E56C6E4E75.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	376672  
Old 08-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #1790
Wolfwhistle

If anyone with an older trailer is contemplating getting the product GMFL has shown, made by Greenlight called the Ringer, I’m just letting you know they won’t work on my 2013. I actually ordered 1 to try them before ordering more; so it’s on the tank in the cargo conversion and doing fine. At some point it seems, AS changed the propane tank base to a larger model. It keeps a standard tank from rusting onto or marring whatever it sits on. The product looks very good and that it will last a long time. FE
Old 09-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #1791
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Today’s floor find. In the bathroom. Ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	377487
Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #1792
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2023 27' Globetrotter
Centennial , Colorado
It goes on roller shade. Look for a shade missing and end cap
Jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #1793
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
It goes on roller shade. Look for a shade missing and end cap

Yay! Thank you.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #1794
Wolfwhistle

Anyone else have their stone shields laying against the body? I’ve known it was like this but procrastinated. I just sanded on both sides. Plan to feather out paint with silver automotive paint. Then add a felt pad (think furniture legs) to stop the rubbing. Heading off in search of paint.
FE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	80BA8BAA-4ADE-4D78-A2AA-5E47F023A5E3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	378167   Click image for larger version

Name:	D7B030FB-8D7D-47EA-AADE-F3C0282D270F.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	378168  

Name:	E493CC0E-1077-4FAD-B369-9B3BF3C66BFE.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	378169  
Fair_Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #1795
SR

2014 23' FB International
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Anyone else have their stone shields laying against the body? ...
WW, when I discovered that mine touched, I cleaned both areas using automotive wax. Added a thin felt pad, as you are planning, to stop the shield from rubbing the body. Like you, I’m curious if others have had the same issue.
SimRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #1796
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimRunner View Post
WW, when I discovered that mine touched, I cleaned both areas using automotive wax. Added a thin felt pad, as you are planning, to stop the shield from rubbing the body. Like you, I’m curious if others have had the same issue.

The dealer fixed mine under warranty and replaced the quarter panel too.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:58 PM   #1797
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Went out last night after camping to get something. Water pump was left on and making water pump noises. No water running anywhere. Pump has been loud too lately. Anyone experienced this?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:55 AM   #1798
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Hello all, as a new 2020 International 23 FB owner, I was happy to stumble across this forum. It looks like there are some good ideas here! After our initial eleven day, ten night shakedown cruise, my wife and I are looking to make a few tweaks and we have a few questions. I love the idea of a little shelf on the side of the bed closest to the wardrobe. It would be nice to have something for my morning coffee, or for water at night. I’ve been considering making a custom insert to put into the lower drawer under the wardrobe to use as a temporary shelf.

Quick question - are the two USB ports in the bedroom nightstand the only ones available? I can’t seem to find any other USB ports. There’s one above the dinette, but it connects to the stereo and won’t charge my iPhone. My related question is about using the inverter while boondocking. The inverter would solve my issue above, but it seems very inefficient to convert DC power to AC power and then back to DC power to charge my phone. Is the inverter something that causes a significant draw on the batteries?

Thanks!

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #1799
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
On my 23FB there are 2 USB ports by the far side of the bed and two beside the stereo above the dinette that will charge devices. There is also what appears to be a USB port on a cable, but that is only to allow you to play music from a USB drive and won't charge anything. I have added 2 usb ports, myself, below the bed on the near side.

On a related note, since my 23FB had no, as in zero, 12v outlets, I added a 12v outlet beside the 2 USB outlets I added to the near side of the bed, and I also added a 12v outlet below the dinette. You are correct that the inverter is terribly inefficient to power things that can be powered otherwise. My 12v outlets let me run stuff like my CPAP machine and 12v charger for my laptop without using the inverter. My inverter is WFCO, and the company's literature claims it is "up to 80% efficient." That means I lose 25% of the device's power need using it when it is not necessary. Also, if you are boondocking, the inverter draws battery power even when it is turned off. Again, you lose battery power. I have installed a 200 amp latching relay between the battery and the inverter so I can totally kill power to it when boondocking. It really helped.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #1800
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I love the idea of a little shelf on the side of the bed closest to the wardrobe. It would be nice to have something for my morning coffee, or for water at night. I’ve been considering making a custom insert to put into the lower drawer under the wardrobe to use as a temporary shelf.

Exactly what I did, using a piece of laminated flooring, and some vinyl trim pieces to hold in place. A little chisel work to fit the drawer slide curve. I can get pix later if you like.
vlaming is offline   Reply With Quote