Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #61
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
Any issues with the Air Conditioner in the summer months? Does the 23FB stay cool enough with only one unit?
Ours is fine in the hot and humid Missouri summers. Will cool it to any temp. I'm not sure if we've ever been in direct sun though. We always are in shade, but plenty of summer hot..

I just took the 3/4" socket from my set, have the torque set on the cordless drill to release about when it starts to twist out of my grip, and power up and down. We've found the 23FB to be very stable. Easily leveled on uneven pads.
I do raise the entrance (curb) side just a hair past level, as it makes the kitchen sinks drain easier, and keeps my head just a bit higher than my feet when in bed.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We've had our 23FB since the spring of 2014, and absolutely love it. It's the perfect size and layout for us (a couple with a dog and cat), and is comfortable for the 3-4 months we're in it each year for our annual trip around the country. It tows easily, is big enough so we're not cramped, and yet it's small enough to tuck into some pretty tight spots. The 23 was described to us as "the biggest of the small" (largest Airstream with 8 foot width) and "the smallest of the big" (smallest dual axle Airstream), and we like that combination. Our favorite features are the queen bed and the full bathroom; least favorite is the ground clearance, but we've done what we can about that. We looked into the Dexter lift kit, but were concerned about about potential misalignment issues and opted to upgrade to 15" wheels/tires and change out the axles for 32 degree torsion arm models instead. That gave us a couple of extra inches, which seems to be enough. The mods we've made so far are:
  1. Installed 200 watt flexible Go Power solar charging system, including panels & controller
  2. Replaced axles with 3000 lb torsion axles, 10" brakes with 32 degree torsion arms (5 lug)
  3. Replaced original 14" wheels with Sendel T03 15x6 Aluminum Bullet Trailer Wheel 5 Lug, 2150 lb Max Load, TW-106EZSS-60C (trailer-wheels.com)
  4. Replaced original Goodyear Marathon 14" tires with Michelin LTX M/S 2 Radial Tires - 235/75R15 108T
  5. Removed original toilet, installed Nature's Head composting toilet
  6. Added Shurflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank to water system
  7. Modified plumbing to selectively drain kitchen and bathroom sink into the black water tank
  8. Modified the under sink cabinet shelf backs for current & future service access
  9. Replaced dinette cushion foam with Mid Foam Firm (seats) and Mid Foam Medium (backs), with Dacron batting
  10. Replaced original window shades with OceanAir shades
  11. Installed Shurflo 94-591-01 water pump silencing kit
  12. Added SensorPush temperature monitors and WiFi gateway for refrigerator and pet temp monitoring
We tow with a Tundra with ProPride, and while I haven't gotten around to weighing the whole rig yet we travel pretty light so I'm not concerned. I'm planning on getting it on the CAT scales this summer, especially since we're considering adding a Honda eu2000i generator. We do a lot of boondocking, but there are times when the sun just won't shine...

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
The 23FB forum

Dan (VTsmitty),

Thanks for the post. I was thinking about an accumulator, how does it work for you. Does it make a big difference?

Also, could you provide more details about the plumbing changes you made to allow selective discharge to black tank?

Thx!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Dan (VTsmitty),

Thanks for the post. I was thinking about an accumulator, how does it work for you. Does it make a big difference?

Also, could you provide more details about the plumbing changes you made to allow selective discharge to black tank?

Thx!
Troutboy,

We added the accumulator in 2015 after we had a problem with a leak at the city water fitting. While the fitting itself had issues, we also found that when using the hot water it pressurizes the water system and makes leaks more likely. The accumulator helps take care of that, and as an added bonus cuts down on the number of times that the water pump kicks in. If you're just using a little bit of water the accumulator will cover the pressure loss, instead of the pump.

As far as the selective discharge, we added valves and piping under the vanity sink (shown) and the kitchen sink so that we could drain into either the black or the grey tank. Since we don't use the black tank anymore (Nature's Head) this option lets us add another 18 gallons to our grey water storage, which helps out when boondocking. We normally drain to the grey tank, but have that extra reserve if needed.

Not sure this beer is right for you, but if you pass through Montana we recommend giving it a try: http://bigskybrew.com/beers/trout-slayer/

Dan
Old 05-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPop View Post
Attachment 284916Attachment 284917we rarely use the dinette for dining, more for chilling out. Most of our eating happens outside on the picnic table.

Hah, we just took our 23FB out on our first runs, and I think your use of the dinette space is great! We may do that before the week is out. ;-)
MetalAria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Pictures -

Top Left is the beginning of the Million dollar highway - 550 South out of Montrose to Durango - this is just below Ouray where the tight and twisty section starts. Perfect for a 23 rig.

Top Right is HW 50, a much better route than I80 if you are into new routes. If you look way in the distance you can see the wind mills making volts, or maybe not.

Bottom Left is the Ely NV KOA. Sometimes you get surrounded by the SOBs. But we had AS backup in the row behind and another a few spaces to the Right. Everyone had a story. It was a very sociable group. We learned a lot about the Balloon Fiesta that night and the seed was planted.

Bottom Right is Morefield campground in Mesa Verde. The neighbors came to visit on a daily basis. Yes, the people were nice too.

Travel is great. We need to get back out there. Pat

Yay another person towing with an X5!! Our E70 35d has been a great tow rig so far! Diesel torque works great!

Attachment 285706
Old 05-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
Troutboy,

We added the accumulator in 2015 after we had a problem with a leak at the city water fitting. While the fitting itself had issues, we also found that when using the hot water it pressurizes the water system and makes leaks more likely. The accumulator helps take care of that, and as an added bonus cuts down on the number of times that the water pump kicks in. If you're just using a little bit of water the accumulator will cover the pressure loss, instead of the pump.

As far as the selective discharge, we added valves and piping under the vanity sink (shown) and the kitchen sink so that we could drain into either the black or the grey tank. Since we don't use the black tank anymore (Nature's Head) this option lets us add another 18 gallons to our grey water storage, which helps out when boondocking. We normally drain to the grey tank, but have that extra reserve if needed.

Not sure this beer is right for you, but if you pass through Montana we recommend giving it a try: http://bigskybrew.com/beers/trout-slayer/

Dan

Thanks Dan!! Good info and I'll try that beer for sure!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
McMinnville , Oregon
Back to the conversations about the stabilizers... I recently bought a 2010 FB Flying Cloud and the shafts that we attach a drill to for raising and lowering the stabilizers are slightly bent, so make it difficult to use my cordless drill. Is there a way to straighten these out?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Cameron
curnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAria View Post
Hah, we just took our 23FB out on our first runs, and I think your use of the dinette space is great! We may do that before the week is out. ;-)

Enjoy my air streaming friend.
SuperPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
Ocala , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Ours is fine in the hot and humid Missouri summers. Will cool it to any temp. I'm not sure if we've ever been in direct sun though. We always are in shade, but plenty of summer hot..
Thanks, I'll be in South Carolina for the 4th of July so that will be a good test. My 22FB never had a problem even in the swampy Florida heat.
Xplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:15 AM   #71
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by curnes View Post
Back to the conversations about the stabilizers... I recently bought a 2010 FB Flying Cloud and the shafts that we attach a drill to for raising and lowering the stabilizers are slightly bent, so make it difficult to use my cordless drill. Is there a way to straighten these out?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Cameron
I would imagine they could be straightened. I'm a bit surprised they work at all. I would try to get as much of the threaded rod extended out as you can. Then try to protect the threads by wrapping something over them. Then try sliding a section of pipe over the protected threaded rod. It should give you enough leverage to gently unbend the rod. This is just my $.02, I've zero experience with straightening the shaft. But if I needed to do it, I'd try something like this. Hope it's helpful.
Jeff

Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #72
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplore View Post
Thanks, I'll be in South Carolina for the 4th of July so that will be a good test. My 22FB never had a problem even in the swampy Florida heat.
That will be a test. My brother lives near Columbia SC. Definitely gets as hot and humid there as anywhere. I'm still trying to get my micro air installed on the AC unit. I'm hoping the noise reduction will decrease my interest in a ducted air model.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Question for the 23FB masses... has anyone considered, or actually implemented, auto-leveler on this their trailer? This is something I'm considering in passing, but don't really know if it's the best idea or not...
Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I would be very hesitant to do that. Airstream is adamant that you should only lift the trailer at VERY specific points to keep all of the pressure on the frame. I am afraid that aftermarket levelers would not be at the right places to lift the trailer.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Auto levelers on a 23' trailer seems like overkill IMO. The fridge only needs "level" according to the human body's perception.

"If the floor feels level when walking, it is level enough." [Edit or words to that effect in the owner's manual]

Level left-to-right usually requires just a minimum of blocking under one side's tire(s), which after practice can be pre-positioned before final push back into a campsite. Front-to-back leveling is handled easily by the motorized jack sitting on blocks also.

In radical campsites further leveling can be challenging, but ditto to Bobbo that an Airstream can only be jacked at the two designated points behind the axle(s).

We put a small 10" level inside the main entry door on the floor, which is easy to use standing on the ground, relatively close to tongue jack. Checking L/R and fore/aft takes a few minutes.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We use this. It's awesome.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FG...236_SY340_QL65

Still have to manual level with blocks. We use Anderson levelers with this and get the side to side right the first time.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Covington , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Auto levelers on a 23' trailer seems like overkill IMO. The fridge only needs "level" according to the human body's perception.

"If the floor feels level when walking, it is level enough." [Edit or words to that effect in the owner's manual]

Level left-to-right usually requires just a minimum of blocking under one side's tire(s), which after practice can be pre-positioned before final push back into a campsite. Front-to-back leveling is handled easily by the motorized jack sitting on blocks also.

In radical campsites further leveling can be challenging, but ditto to Bobbo that an Airstream can only be jacked at the two designated points behind the axle(s).

We put a small 10" level inside the main entry door on the floor, which is easy to use standing on the ground, relatively close to tongue jack. Checking L/R and fore/aft takes a few minutes.

Thank you guys - I appreciate the information. I have leveling blocks, and will stick with that. The feedback is very helpful!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #78
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalAria View Post
-- snip -- auto-leveler on this their trailer? -- snip -- best idea or not...
Auto leveler or powered stabilizers? Our dealer is installing motorized stabilizers on AS coaches. Do not know the capability of those units as to leveling, but expect they have none, since that is outside AS's use parameters. Nice push button deployment, though. However, getting out and visually checking conditions at each pad seems appropriate. Good exercise to spin them down too. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
The 23FB forum

We have a 2017 23 FB FC - does anyone know what the Dexter Axle number is? Planning to order a lift kit and looking to confirm if we have a #10 or #11. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinmeredith View Post
We have a 2017 23 FB FC - does anyone know what the Dexter Axle number is? Planning to order a lift kit and looking to confirm if we have a #10 or #11. Thanks.
Our 23FB (2013) has #10 axles; the Dexter kit for #10 axles is K71-707-02. But I'd double check with them before you order...

Dan