Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #3921
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And a few of us 22 footer, dual axle types sneak in here from time to time to swipe a few good ideas.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #3922
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Montgomery County , Pennsylvania
Condensation From Roof / AC Drain

While out this week running the AC constantly, had water coming from both the drain tube and off the roof. I just read the posts from the 23D owners on the clogged drains for the ac condensation and like all the fixes suggested.

Am I missing something....does it matter if the condensation is draining onto the roof rather than down the drain. I figure the roof is designed to get wet.

Could the unit just drain onto the roof and not utilize the cups/tubes?
Air88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #3923
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air88 View Post
While out this week running the AC constantly, had water coming from both the drain tube and off the roof. I just read the posts from the 23D owners on the clogged drains for the ac condensation and like all the fixes suggested.

Am I missing something....does it matter if the condensation is draining onto the roof rather than down the drain. I figure the roof is designed to get wet.

Could the unit just drain onto the roof and not utilize the cups/tubes?
Gosh, Air88, I can't believe that it's been nearly 24 hours since you posted about your condensate-water-on-the-roof and nobody has replied. This thread has sure become quiet lately... maybe everybody is out having fun; well, everybody but me!

Even after the double-gasket fix and the other stuff that I did to ensure our air conditioner's condensate drained properly, I noticed a bit of water on the roof a few times. I finally got up there to take a look and what I found was that there are components in the air conditioner that 'sweat' - and sweat pretty profusely - if conditions are right (super high humidity). These components included the suction side copper tubing (that's the one that gets cold when the A/C is running) and I forget what else. Anyway, I decided it was a non-issue to have a relatively small amount of water on the roof from time to time. The condensate drain tube appears to still be working perfectly... lots of water dribbles out on our front, street-side tire.

This 'may' be what you are experiencing. Really, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If you want to be really sure, you could remove the inside plastic shroud and look around to see if there is any water where it's not supposed to be.

Good sleuthing!

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #3924
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Air88,
As RFP said, a little water off the roof should be fine but I would do some looking to make sure no water is getting inside the skin. On the newer units with ducted air it is a snap, pull the return air filters and look, you can see the drain lines, check for leaks and even disconnect them and blow them out easily.
While figuring out an issue on my A/C with it short cycling I found a gasket had been left out between the return air side and the cold side that left a 3/4 inch by 13 inch opening between the two. Formed a gasket and got it (mostly) sealed up, no more short cycling and cools better than it ever has, even in 104 degree Texas weather.
On a side note we just returned from 5 weeks on the road in New Mexico and Colorado. We tried to avoid the most touristy areas, took long walks in the forests sat by a few rivers an explored areas we had just driven through for years. In all a great trip.
David and Carole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	373932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2125.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	373933  

Name:	IMG_2114.JPG
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	373934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2115.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	590.7 KB
ID:	373935  

dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #3925
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
A few more shots
Beside the river in Cimmeron
A few old mines outside of Creed
Lake at the west end of Black Canyon
From a hike north of Crested Butte
Our feelings on travel and pins we have collected from National parks and Historical sites we have visited.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2118.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	373942   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.JPG
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	373943  

Name:	IMG_2138.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	373944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	373945  

Name:	IMG_2010.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	804.6 KB
ID:	373946  
Old 07-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #3926
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post
Air88,
< snip > ... we just returned from 5 weeks on the road in New Mexico and Colorado. We tried to avoid the most touristy areas, took long walks in the forests sat by a few rivers an explored areas we had just driven through for years. In all a great trip.
David and Carole
Great trip, David, thanks for sharing with the rest of us! So glad you two are able to be out and about!

So, while you were off having fun, I added a 120-volt outlet at the end of the "sink cabinet." I like to have the electric kettle or the toaster on the flip-up shelf and with the new outlet, the cord doesn't have to clutter up the counter. It isn't much, but every little bit (of improvement) helps.

Where you goin' next?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Added kitchen 120 volt outlet.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	373963  

Old 07-25-2020, 01:52 PM   #3927
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Oh, That is a neat addition to make use of the folding shelf area, it would give another spot for the coffee pot within reach of the door! Where did you tie the power into?
We have family plans in Dallas and south of Houston in the next two weeks then MAY take mom to Missouri late August. We are also thinking about going back to Gunnison to help close down the campground for the winter we based out of.
You guys still going to Colorado?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #3928
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
< snip > Where did you tie the power into?
I tapped in to the 12AWG wire under the curb side wardrobe. Way over-engineered the terminal connections. Will never be a problem, though

Quote:
You guys still going to Colorado?
Really not sure yet, David. I think I told you that we pulled the plug on Blue Spruce for this year, but we still have reservations at 'The Views RV Park' near Dolores. We had better get to deciding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Junction box - covered.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	374128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junction box - open.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	374129  

Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #3929
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
It's actually connected to the water heater 120-volt line. So, I probably can't heat water electrically AND operate our electric kettle at the same time... ho hum, who cares.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:12 PM   #3930
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Nice looking junction box.
Would be nice to add an outlet there, may do that next week. I am thinking also about adding a pair of vents in the street side wardrobe door to keep heat buildup down a bit. Also may add one more layer of insulation in the fridge compartment aft wall, that panel still gets hot. On the other hand fridge is working well with the one added exhaust fan so maybe should leave well enough alone!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:17 PM   #3931
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Montgomery County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Gosh, Air88, I can't believe that it's been nearly 24 hours since you posted about your condensate-water-on-the-roof and nobody has replied. This thread has sure become quiet lately... maybe everybody is out having fun; well, everybody but me!

Even after the double-gasket fix and the other stuff that I did to ensure our air conditioner's condensate drained properly, I noticed a bit of water on the roof a few times. I finally got up there to take a look and what I found was that there are components in the air conditioner that 'sweat' - and sweat pretty profusely - if conditions are right (super high humidity). These components included the suction side copper tubing (that's the one that gets cold when the A/C is running) and I forget what else. Anyway, I decided it was a non-issue to have a relatively small amount of water on the roof from time to time. The condensate drain tube appears to still be working perfectly... lots of water dribbles out on our front, street-side tire.

This 'may' be what you are experiencing. Really, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If you want to be really sure, you could remove the inside plastic shroud and look around to see if there is any water where it's not supposed to be.

Good sleuthing!

Rob
Any downside to just doing away with drain line and letting unit drain onto roof?
Air88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #3932
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
Victoria , British Columbia
Enlarge the under-sofa shoe storage area

Hi
I'm thinking about changing the narrow storage area under the sofa in my 2013 23D Flying Cloud.
I'm hoping to find a way to move the back panel in the storage space back a few inches so that I can keep shoes pointing toward the back instead of piling them up side to side - It would help a lot to have more shoe storage space for the two of us.
I have two beginning questions:
* How do I remove the top white board on the sofa so that I can get in to do that work? I hope to put it back on so I don't really want to tear it up to get it off. Perhaps somebody has a photo of the area so that I can see if it's possible to change that before I tear it apart.

** What tool would I use to lift the power staples that hold that sheet in place?

I'd appreciate whatever information that you think might be helpful before I take the thing apart.

Many thanks for your information and suggestions.
Cindy
CindyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #3933
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
Hi
< snip >
I'd appreciate whatever information that you think might be helpful before I take the thing apart.

Many thanks for your information and suggestions.
Cindy
Good morning, Cindy, let me give this a try:

I installed a Dirt Devil 'built-in' vacuum system in our 23D; it's a great addition to an already excellent trailer. The best (and really, about the only) place to install the vacuum is under the slide-out lounge bed. To do that, I had to completely remove the lounge bed (the "sofa" in your post). Removing the thing was really a pain. It is held in place by a few screws into the floor along the front edge (you can easily see the screws when you open the lower storage compartment doors). That's the easy part. The rear of the sofa (see, how I just changed terms mid-post? ) is held in place by three or four screws into the aluminum side wall. Those are a really, really, really hard to remove. At least they were for me! I had to pull the bed part way out, lie on the floor and reach waaaaaay back to remove the screws. I finally did it after adding a bunch of new bruises on my old, skinny arms, and a few new words to my vocabulary.

When I put the thing back together, I had become a lot smarter. I installed riv-nuts into the aluminum side wall so that I could use machine screws, AND I bought one of these screwdrivers: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Philli...%2C225&sr=8-24 Brilliant move, I got the 'sofa' put back with no further damage to my arm, ego, or emotional well-being.

I hope this helps. If you need more info, PM your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Rob

Old 07-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #3934
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air88 View Post
Any downside to just doing away with drain line and letting unit drain onto roof?
Oops, sorry... I completely missed your question. Actually, I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine any downside other than you never know just where the condensate would dribble down the side. In our 2010 Casita, the air conditioner does just that, drains onto the roof with no drain tube. It seemed as if I always managed to set up so that the water dribbled right beside the entry door (!)

Old 07-29-2020, 06:08 PM   #3935
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyH View Post
Hi
* How do I remove the top white board on the sofa so that I can get in to do that work? I hope to put it back on so I don't really want to tear it up to get it off. Perhaps somebody has a photo of the area so that I can see if it's possible to change that before I tear it apart.
When I did my solar install and needed to get under that sofa, I used a small screwdriver and pliers to remove all the staples so that I could remove the top without removing the entire sofa. Then to reinstall, I just used wood screws in the same places. So now I can just unscrew them in the future to get back in there.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #3936
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
OK 23d people, just curious. Do any of your DC fuse layout stickers in your power center have two fuses (#6 and #7) labeled for Fresh Water Tank Heater, and the other 'grey and black tank water heaters?" I was surprised to notice that mine does! Yet I have no switches for tank heaters, and my furnace ducts into the floor. But my 2014 manual also states:

"The 20 ft. and 23 ft. (23 ft. Front Bed model excluded)
models have 12-volt heat pads installed with the fresh,
gray, and black water tanks. These pads are individually
switched. This feature allows the saving of battery
power in a dry camping situation. To conserve battery
power, RV antifreeze may be used to protect the gray
and black tank. Battery power will last about 3 hours
using all three heat pads."

Hmm. Did Airstream have heat pads on earlier manuals and neglected to update the manual when switching to ducts into the belly? And also forget to update the 12v fuse layout sticker? And...I wonder where the circuits for the those fuses actually go. LOL!

Name:	<a title=12v Sticker.jpg Views: 45 Size: 291.3 KB ID: 374391" style="margin: 2px" />
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #3937
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
When I did my solar install and needed to get under that sofa, I used a small screwdriver and pliers to remove all the staples so that I could remove the top without removing the entire sofa. Then to reinstall, I just used wood screws in the same places. So now I can just unscrew them in the future to get back in there.
Well, Dang... I certainly did it the HARD way! I can complicate almost anything...
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #3938
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The 23D thread

Must be an engineer...if there is a simple way to do something it’s usually rejected out of hand for the “more elegant solution”.

That’s why I’m the head of the local Overkill Engineering Department.

(An engineer is a person that takes simple specifications and turns them into major malfunctions. )
Old 07-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #3939
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Systems design
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	systems_design.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	374428  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #3940
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The 23D thread

Oh, so true...and on many, many projects exactly what happened!

Somewhere in my archives I have a version of this with the names of the participants filled in for the record.

Tags
23d