Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2023, 08:21 AM   #4541
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Rob does it again! Thanks mister!!! This is a great idea. It's going on the "to do" list.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #4542
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Rob does it again! Thanks mister!!! This is a great idea. It's going on the "to do" list.
Yep great idea. I’m gonna get one and add it to my to do list as well. But for now my pump works just fine. Not to mention we are getting ready for a big trip.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:34 AM   #4543
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Weboost mount option

Hi, for those using the Weboost, currently I have the amp in the overhead, connected to the SAT in. It gets pretty warm in there and we leave the cabinet open when using. Can I also use the cable in and just mount everything behind the tv? Don't really use the cable for tv anyways.
mdweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #4544
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Considering selling our 23D

Well, fellow 23D folks, Linda and I are beginning to seriously consider selling 'Fortune Cookie,' our treasured 2014 23D.

I have just been diagnosed with 'high grade metatastic prostate cancer' and am facing what will likely be intense and perhaps lengthy treatment. At the ripe old age of 83+ we are aware that this little health 'set back' probably means the end of our Airstreaming days.

So, if any of you know anyone who might be interested in an Airstream that is probably one of the best 23Ds anywhere, tell them to contact me through the forum.

All the best

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #4545
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Rob,

I am very sorry to hear that. Hang in there, we will be praying for you.
NO NOIZE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #4546
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Rob, sorry to hear that news. Prayers for you and your family.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #4547
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Wish you all the best. Have really appreciated all of your posts over the years. Your are a real 23D GURU.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:42 AM   #4548
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Rob.....I am sorry to hear your news. I know you are strong and will focus on this health issue with all you have. Please.....let me know if you need anything at all. You have been so helpful over the years and I really respect you and Linda.
I bought my 23d in February. I wouldn't have been so encouraged to buy this model without reading your posts many times and being inspired by your creativity.
Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
Old 04-27-2023, 08:20 AM   #4549
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Rob. I have been reading your posts for a long time. Your unflinching positive attitude will be your greatest weapon. I admire you and wish nothing but the best for you.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #4550
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
I’m looking to downsize to a 23 but cannot decide which model. I like the bed set up in the FB but not the dinette. I like the seating arrangement of the D (CB) but not sure about the bed.
Would like to hear comments about the ease and feasibility (or not) of two older adults navigating the 48” wide, narrow entry bed.
Thanx in advance!
Old 04-27-2023, 12:00 PM   #4551
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
I’m looking to downsize to a 23 but cannot decide which model. I like the bed set up in the FB but not the dinette. I like the seating arrangement of the D (CB) but not sure about the bed.
Would like to hear comments about the ease and feasibility (or not) of two older adults navigating the 48” wide, narrow entry bed.
Thanx in advance!
So we were skeptical of the 23D/CB at first. We had looked at a used FC 19CB first and the bed was definitely too small / cramped for us, I'm 6 foot and on the outside edge I'm always feeling like I have to keep from dangling off the edge of the bed.

But then we had someone turn our thinking on our head. Our use case was for a family of four, and instead of thinking as that as our bed, we got the Corner Bunk Bed model and that corner would be for the kids. My wife and I would sleep up front on the lounge. This gives the kids a more permanent space, and my wife and I can manage the back and forth of the dinette to bed without worrying about getting them settled. Additionally it places us near the door, kitchen, and TV so when they go to sleep early, we can still be putzing around.

Our kids are still pretty young, so right now one of us sleeps with a kiddo in the corner while the other sleeps on the lounge with the other, but eventually they'll both move back to the corner bed.

That said, if it was just my wife and I, for two reasons we'd go with the FB: (1) the tongue weight is a lot lighter, so gives us more flexibility with what we bring in the truck; and (2) the bed setup is better for just two adults, I'm honestly not sure we'd go with the queen or the twin beds. Of course, I will miss the big panorama windows being at the lounge rather than the bed (and more windows in general in the D/CB). Although to be completely honest, most times we are backing in to sites, so I'd rather have panorama windows and a lounge in the rear. But, tradeoffs.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #4552
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Thanx in advance!
Linda and I have never slept together on the corer bed. No siree, that's "the Queen's Chambers." I sleep in luxury on the pull out bed up front in the lounge. I use a Mormot down sleeping bag with a built-in "sheet" that attached to the cushions. It's crazy-easy to set up my bed in the evening, and take it down in the morning. As I set it up, it is 34" wide (standard Airstream twin bed width) and about as long as you want it to be. It's pure luxury.

We checked out a "FB" before getting Fortune Cookie but didn't like the "RV queen" bed and we found we couldn't "walk around" it as advertised since our feet were bigger than a hamster's. Also, we love the huge lounge of the 23D with a lot of seating and the big panorama windows. We found the dinette being the only place to sit in a 23FB not to our liking... but you do get a really good view of the sink and stove :-)

Anyway, that's our experience, and everybody is different. To us the 23D was perfect. We are really going to miss camping in it!

Old 04-27-2023, 04:33 PM   #4553
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Thanks Rob. I like your perspective.
Could you share, if you can, your Airstream adventures? Was there an average length of time you were out in it? Did you have favorite spots that you might have returned to frequently? Lots of planning ahead of time? Just got up and went? What would do different?
Old 04-27-2023, 04:36 PM   #4554
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Rob. I like your perspective.
Could you share, if you can, your Airstream adventures? Was there an average length of time you were out in it? Did you have favorite spots that you might have returned to frequently? Lots of planning ahead of time? Just got up and went? What would do different?
I would be happy to talk about this by phone... If you like this idea just let me know and I'll PM my phone number to you

Old 04-28-2023, 04:16 AM   #4555
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Ditto. My wife and small dog get the bed. I have zero issues with the pull out up front. Takes just a minute to setup and break down. But with that being said, we'll be looking to 'upgrade' next year to a 25' because my wife wants a separate lav and shower. I'll only consider that with a twin setup.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:04 AM   #4556
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdweaver View Post
Ditto. My wife and small dog get the bed. I have zero issues with the pull out up front. Takes just a minute to setup and break down. But with that being said, we'll be looking to 'upgrade' next year to a 25' because my wife wants a separate lav and shower. I'll only consider that with a twin setup.
A friend of mine and I will be retiring soon and we want to leverage the easy towing and nimbleness of my 23D for some retirement adventures together. But I'm insisting on two real beds that don't require any nighttime and morning conversion.

I have already removed the curb side dinette bench and factory table in favor of a wall hugger recliner and fold down table. A great improvement for me as a solo traveler.

This summer, we plan to remove the lounge cushions and back bolsters and replace them with a legit Airstream mattress made to fit the curvature of the front street side corner. It will be able to have fitted custom Airstream sheets just like a real bed. During the day, it will be a lounge. I've always used the existing lounge in a chaise-lounge style anyway, with my legs stretched out in front of me -- either looking at the TV or reversed and looking out the pano windows. I'll still be able to do that.

Since the mattress won't be as long as the existing lounge cushions, the space at the end beside the refrigerator cabinet will be used for a newly built cabinet. It will be counter height and have a drawer under it. It will sit on top of and be fastened to the existing lounge platform. The addition of some extra counter space in the kitchen area is sorely needed.

I also plan to look into how the refrigerator cabinet is made and whether the shelf that separates the refrigerator section from the microwave section can be disassembled. If so, we're going to give strong consideration to a new NovaKool 12v compressor refrigerator with 7.3 cubic feet of storage and a bottom freezer. The microwave will have to be raised an inch or two but neither of us is short and we feel the trade for more refrigerator space will be worth it.

A new RecPro/Houghton quiet air conditioner/heat pump is sitting in my garage waiting to replace the noisy factory Dometic. I also have 2 4x8 sheets of Wenge laminate that matches the factory laminate to use on the custom cabinet. I plan to make replacement slider doors for the upper lockers with the dark Wenge laminate, too. Can't stand seeing the contents through the opaque sliders no matter how hard I try to keep things neat and tidy. Pictures will definitely happen. It will likely be July before any work begins.

Attached is a rendering of the new floor plan concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Altered 23D.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	430803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recliner and Table.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	430804  

Old 04-28-2023, 07:47 AM   #4557
CAB & DAB

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Brenham , Texas
Genebuilder,
My wife and I have spent 5 weeks at a time in our 23. We usually take 2 month long trips a year. We have thought about a larger Airstream a few time, came really close on a 28 but bought another 23. For more than 2 adults or with large dogs it may feel cramped for a long trip but for us we love it. With a few of the mods that Rob and others have led the way on it is a wonderful little package.
David
dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:10 AM   #4558
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post
Genebuilder,
My wife and I have spent 5 weeks at a time in our 23. We usually take 2 month long trips a year. We have thought about a larger Airstream a few time, came really close on a 28 but bought another 23. For more than 2 adults or with large dogs it may feel cramped for a long trip but for us we love it. With a few of the mods that Rob and others have led the way on it is a wonderful little package.
David
Thank you.. I hope to get in touch.
Old 04-29-2023, 07:53 AM   #4559
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Fantastic ideas. If it wasn't for her desire to have a separate lav and shower, I'd probably follow in your footsteps. The bigger fridge is also on her list.
Old 05-09-2023, 04:51 PM   #4560
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Rob...so sorry to hear about your health issues. Wishing you the best.... Nancy
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23d