Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Single vs. Tandem and Smallest tandem axle

What is the shortest tandem axle trailer that Airstream made? Best I can tell, it was the '65 and newer Tradewind 24 footers. I know the Overlanders are 26 footers. Is there anything else in this range?

As well, I guess I'm asking this of those of you that pull single axle trailers...do you have any misgivings about the single axle vs. the tandem? Ever have a blowout? If so, how'd the trailer react?

I currently am pulling a 34 foot triple axle. I really like the coach, but I'd like to get a second trailer that is smaller. Something that I could really take just about anywhere. My grandfather has a '58 Traveler that I've been looking at hard. But, I'm a bit leery of the single axle trailers. I'm just afraid of what would happen during a tire blowout. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I want to set up a rig I can pull on rough roads. I'm figuring that with tandem axles, I could at least get the thing down the road a little piece with one tire blown. And, with tandems, I'm thinking that if a violent blowout occurs at high speed, it wouldn't automatically throw me into the ditch. But, I've never pulled a single axle trailer; only tandems and the triple.

I was thinking of finding the smallest tandem axle trailer and going from there. But, thought I'd throw it out here for everybody.

Any recommendations on years and models? Am I worrying about nothing on the single axle?

thanks,
Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I pulled lots of boat trailers over the years with one set of wheels and had a few blow outs. I never got killed. Some trailers have skid springs attached to the axles so when the blow out occurs you don't drop all the way down onto the road but do put out a shower of sparks. I like the tandems for heavier trailers like Airstreams.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
One of my favorites is the 21' Excella and Sovereign from the 90's. A really great interior layout for a small tandem. Not an easy find but worth the search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior_best_look-med.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	90174  
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think you have talked yourself into a tandem axle, so let the '58 Traveler go to someone else.

I would be uncomfortable towing my single axle Tradewind if I didn't have pressure sensors on both tires. I think most sudden and catastrophic blowouts are preceded by a loss of pressure that would be detected by the pressure sensor. I've also beefed up the spring mounting plates so if I do lose a tire the trailer will drop onto the skid plate before it starts to run on the tire rim.

Along with meticulous tire maintenance, I have no reservations about a single axle.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I have a 2006 22'CCD that is a tandem axle. When we bought I was looking for a short tandem and I love it. There seem to be a few of these around

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
There are many of us towing single axle. I've used both and prefer single for my use. In all the years towing I've never had a blowout. Yes, lost air due to a nail or screw, never violently. Yes, known people who had tires disintegrate usually due to overloading, improper inflation, old tires, hitting curbs, etc. Other than damage to the fender well they all managed to pull over without incident. Of coarse there are exceptions to the rule incidents but if single axle trailers are unsafe don't you think they would be banned?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Vintage tandem axle

If you are looking for a vintage coach, the 22' Argosy is a tandem axle. They are somewhat difficult to find as well. They were made from 72 to about 79.

We own a 34' as well & wanted something shorter that would fit in national park spots.

So, we purchased a 22' Argosy, which was totaled when we were sideswiped. Now, we own a 24' Argosy that is also a tandem axle. As far as size, weight, & maneuverability, there's not that much difference between the 22' & 24'. However, it's nice to have that extra 2 feet inside!

We have towed trailers with single axles as well. In our experience, the single axles aren't as "well behaved" as their double & triple cousins - they don't track as well and have their own mind when backing up!

We camped next to a tandem axle Bambi that was either a late 90's or early 2000's - think it was around 20'.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
1981 - 22' Airstream Excella II - tandem axle. Very easy to tow and maneuver. This trailer has very many similarities to the Argosy line (probably used up some old parts) but has more windows.

crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Safety, sure a belt and suspenders are safer than just a belt. For most people a belt is sufficient.
Clearly if you have a catastrophic tire failure a second axle provides a backup safety net. If that extra degree of insurance puts an owner at ease then go for it.
But, tandem axles come at a cost; extra weight, extra cost in tires, more rolling resistance, extra cost of maintenance (bearings, breaks, etc), extra leveling blocks, to mention a few.
If single axle trailers were inherently unsafe then Uhaul wouldn't rent them. There are thousands of single axle utility and boat trailers out there that have no problems.
I keep close track of tire pressure & temperature, and hub maintenance and am totally comfortable towing a single axle 1965 Safari.
I also do fine with just a belt, no suspenders.
BWH
BWH-Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
21 ft. Sovereign

I have looked for a few years for one. Dual axle and nice size. I think the 21 is the shortest dual axle.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

, Vermont
I went through the same choice a couple years ago when we finally picked up a 53 Flying Cloud. I decided on the single axle for two different reasons: first I wanted maximum flexibility inside to redesign the floorplan, and second I wanted to limit the weight of the trailer as much as I could.

That second axle takes up a lot of extra space inside and it puts limits on where your various "rooms" can go. It also adds hundreds of pounds of extra weight when you factor in the axle and the tires/wheels. I tow with Honda Ridgeline so weight is a big issue.

I have tire monitors on my single axle wheels to hopefully handle the catestrophic failure, and a spare up front to get me back out of the boonies.

You could argue that I gave up some weight savings with the spare, but I also carried a spare when I owned a double axle Tradewind.

Think about what criteria is most important for you and your answer might come forward. I've heard you mention safety, that would put a double axle on top, and I think you mentioned ease in manuvering. The second one is a toss-up for me. The Flying Cloud gets into tighter spaces, but the Tradewind was easier to back up - double axles turn slower backing up.
air19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
When I was looking for an old Airstream, I was horrified by the idea of a single axle. I looked and looked for a double axle Tradewind (I had decided on '66 or older), but they seem to be pretty rare. I ended up with our '65 Safari- we went about 30,000 miles over 2+ years, and never even had a flat on it. Terrible rutted dirt roads, driving over curbs, through fields and rocky terrain. Mostly stayed off the interstates, even. I'd still love to have a double setup, but oh well- I got over it, and it seems to work as it is. If you end up with a single, just make sure the skids are on the axle, and keep a full spare in the truck.

Maybe I should have held out for a World Traveller
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
...And now I'm learning from other threads that skid plates may be a bad thing. How tragic.
65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65 View Post
...And now I'm learning from other threads that skid plates may be a bad thing. How tragic.
I think skids on a torsion axle might be a bad idea, but leaf spring axles are a different matter.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I think skids on a torsion axle might be a bad idea, but leaf spring axles are a different matter.
Hi markdoane, Without hijacking this thread can you explain why you put a skid plate on a leaf spring axle. I understand why you wouldn't on a torsion axle but since my 60 has a leaf spring axle I'm curious. It would seem to have the benefits and pitfalls as a torsion axle. Thanks

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The plate that holds the axle to the spring pack is only a couple of inches above the highway surface, so if the tire loses air the plate will drag on the highway before the wheel rim does. I think that's probably a good thing, the trailer can't tip more than couple of inches, and I'd rather drag it on a smooth piece of meal than a mangled up carcass of a tire.

The mounting plate doesn't protect the ends of the U-bolts though. Nothing worse than grinding the nuts off the U-bolts and having the whole axle come loose. So I welded some heavy plate to the bottom of the spring plate to protect the nuts. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axle 040.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	90250   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	90251  

Name:	DSC00053.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	90252  
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Safari65 View Post
Where are these threads you mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Please explain why.

I have no opinion on the skid plates on torsion (Henschen type) axles but am curious and think the above answers would make this a better thread.

thanks

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Please explain why.

I have no opinion on the skid plates on torsion (Henschen type) axles but am curious and think the above answers would make this a better thread.

thanks
To properly hold the skid plates in position, the "U" bolts must be tightened very well.

When that happens, the square axle tube compresses, and alters the effect and purpose of the rubber rods.

Once in a while, someone shows up with the skid plates welded to the square axle tube. HELLO. that ruined the rubber rods, no question.

Henschen states that while skid plates offer a degree of safety in the case of a blow out, their installation on the axle tube, has a undesireable negative effect on the performance of the axle.

"DON'T DO IT" on any torsion axle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
What is the shortest tandem axle trailer that Airstream made? Best I can tell, it was the '65 and newer Tradewind 24 footers. I know the Overlanders are 26 footers. Is there anything else in this range?

As well, I guess I'm asking this of those of you that pull single axle trailers...do you have any misgivings about the single axle vs. the tandem? Ever have a blowout? If so, how'd the trailer react?

I currently am pulling a 34 foot triple axle. I really like the coach, but I'd like to get a second trailer that is smaller. Something that I could really take just about anywhere. My grandfather has a '58 Traveler that I've been looking at hard. But, I'm a bit leery of the single axle trailers. I'm just afraid of what would happen during a tire blowout. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I want to set up a rig I can pull on rough roads. I'm figuring that with tandem axles, I could at least get the thing down the road a little piece with one tire blown. And, with tandems, I'm thinking that if a violent blowout occurs at high speed, it wouldn't automatically throw me into the ditch. But, I've never pulled a single axle trailer; only tandems and the triple.

I was thinking of finding the smallest tandem axle trailer and going from there. But, thought I'd throw it out here for everybody.

Any recommendations on years and models? Am I worrying about nothing on the single axle?

thanks,
Sorry! I was hoping this would not go astray. Thanks for the responses.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Gentlemen:

Thank you for your well informed responses. You've really got me thinking. I hadn't really thought about the weight penalty of the tandem vs the dual, but I see that it is rather significant. To the point where a single axle trailer with really heavy duty tires might be better than a tandem with C's on it, for example.

I really was leaning toward a vintage coach. I know where a rather rough looking Globetrotter is sitting. I might talk to that owner. But, it also makes me think about my grand dad's '58 Traveler. It's got a leaf spring. Personally, I like the leaf sprung setup. But at any rate, I appreciate all of your responses. I did not know about the 21' and 22' tandem axle trailers of the '80s and '90s. Those are certainly worth looking at too.

I will be looking at all of them.

See you on the road,