Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Should this be the new Airstream?

Hello all.

First a disclaimer. I'm not trying to set the house on fire but start a discussion.

Lets face it, aluminum is not getting cheaper, while exotic carbon fibre is. At what point should Airstream consider changing over to this extremely strong yet light and durable material?

CR-1 Carbon RV Unveiling Mar10 on Vimeo

The new trailer is made by Global Caravan Technologies but can cost up to 3/4 of a million dollars.

Would you consider buying a carbon fibre trailer or motorhome if the cost to buy were comparable?
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats gorgeous. No fasteners no seams no leaks! Very cool but a long way to go on price. I would definately consider it if the price was comparable.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
If the cost were comparable - sure. Would be interesting to see Airstream do it with their signature shape/look.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I like it. Things like this spawn new and better technologies.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've done a little work with composit materials in another hobby, and one of the things talked about is no fasteners, and there's a big reason for that. You need to see what happens to composits with loose fasteners on vibrating assemblies to understand. Many times worse than what happens in Aluminum.

Airstream would not only have to change materials, but completely change how their trailer structure is built and manufactured, and then it would no longer be an Airstream.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
I've wondered about the merits/disadvantages of a black RV. Many days that I am camped are "warm" days. Nice enough that just having the windows opened and it's still comfortable inside, but I have noticed that on those days, often the folks with black motorhomes are closed up and running the A/C.
I reckon it could be a nice advantage on a cold sunny winter day.

I have read elsewhere that the group that is trying start this new trailer is a bunch of the same guys that tried a go at it with Earthbound, which left some investors wondering where their money went.

It is a cool looking trailer.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I wouldn't want one. Too much to go wrong that's hard to repair.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Another squarestream.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I was wondering about repairs but searching the web it seems repairing carbon fibre is akin to repairing fibreglass. I could be wrong though as I could have sworn you needed an autoclave to set up carbon fibre, but that may only be for the initial form set up. Small repairs are probably much easier. It maybe much cheaper to repair than aluminum. Since carbon fibre is very durable it certainly wouldn't crease, wrinkle or scuff nearly as easily as aluminum.

While there are people that would say that if Airstream were to build out of carbon fibre it wouldn't be an Airstream, I beg to differ. Airstream is a principle or concept of building trailers with lightness and durability as its core component. Is not using carbon fibre, which is extremely light, durable and strong adhereing to the Airstream principle?

Change can be a good thing. Try replacing your door hinges and see how long it takes, because a fastener came loose and a PO left it to elongate the hole. Change is what keeps companies alive (except "New Coke"). Change for the better that is, with new technologies and easier and better ways to build your products.

You could one day buy an Airstream, shaped like the Airstreams of today with a funky retro interior that would never leak or rot, never need to be repolished and be lighter than the Airstreams made today for better fuel economy.

Glad everyone is keeping it civil.

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Think uniqueness.

Airstream trailers are unique, and that's a good part of why they sell. Leave well enough alone.

The fiberglass Airstream motorhomes were, in opinion, not unique, or at least not unique enough to command the prices that they wanted.

Carbon fiber is, at the moment, unique, perhaps just unique enough for Airstream to jump back into the motorhome market with it.

Lynn
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Tony,
In my very limited experience with CF components for motorcycles ( fenders, etc ), your statement about needing to cure in and autoclave is accurate. You could lay up CF just like you do fiberglass ( and some of the cheaper components were done that way ) but when doing so, the resulting piece made from CF was essentially the same strength and nearly the weight of FG. So yes, to do it "right" you had to do it the more expensive way.

As to repairing a damaged panel on a trailer like this, if the end product is painted, then I agree, I see no reason why you couldn't repair it as is done with FG. But if you are going for the natural CF look ( as this trailer is depicted ) then it looks like you would have to replace the entire panel. Which is always problematic when a company goes out of business. Seems likely that damage to one of these trailers would end as an insurance write-off, or, if not done that way, then a patch job.

Certainly a lot of advantages when it's repair time to sectional pieces of an aluminum skinned A/S. That's the way a LazyDaze motorhome is made too....all the outside panels are in sections ( aluminum ) so that they can be repaired more easily if need be.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I think this is the future for many applications. Pay up front and hope to gain over the long run. You can't recycle it so it better last for ever?

That black box would sure look good behind this 2015 Caddy.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 Caddy Escalade.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	209075  
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Would you consider buying a carbon fibre trailer or motorhome if the cost to buy were comparable?
No. We own an Airstream because it's an American icon, has a rich history and they bring a smile to my heart….maybe when those are "vintage" I'd consider one. Cost has very little to do with it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
While there are people that would say that if Airstream were to build out of carbon fibre it wouldn't be an Airstream, I beg to differ. Airstream is a principle or concept of building trailers with lightness and durability as its core component. Is not using carbon fibre, which is extremely light, durable and strong adhereing to the Airstream principle?

Cheers
Tony

Should have said, then it will no longer be an Airstream, as we know it.

Think of how long the "better" Squarestream lasted......
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No thanks, I'll stick with aluminum because I like the look of aluminum and rivets in the iconic shape. There are many alternatives available; this is just another. Airstream has watched people building and buying a better mousetrap for over 80 years and is the only one surviving as the innovators have come and gone.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Hmmmmm

750 K ??? You could buy a house, trailer, tow vehicle, an Interstate, and a motorhome.
Would I want to navigate with a 19 foot tow vehicle, plus a 35 foot trailer? With that overhang, you better stay on the blacktop.
Maybe rich movie stars would use them on location.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
it looks like a great add on vehicle for a funeral home to tow behind the hearse for group funerals.

Is it really necessary for carbon fiber vehicles to be black or is that just part of the "bad" image

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

raleigh , California
They start around $150000. A friend of mine went to the press event about a month ago. The trailer was bare on the inside and for several panels they used a 'carbon fiber film' on top of another material. The event was to create buzz; the trailer is nowhere ready for production.
NCstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Did I just miss it, or was there nothing in that video about the INSIDE? Think about what an odd omission that is. A trailer isn't selling a hull, like a boat would. A trailer is selling living space. So ... where is it?

I have limited experience with Carbon Fiber. I only know one thing about it. Carbon fiber is more toxic than fiberglass--you can't sand it or cut it without a full face respirator. Supposedly the fiber is like little needles, that get in your eyes or lungs or skin. To me, that's a big drawback.

Although, if someone is going to spend $150,000 for a travel trailer, I guess they can afford to hire someone to take the environmental risk.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #20
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
My GOD is that thing hideously FUGLY!

No sense of proportion, absolutely HORRID paintjob (look closely when they close-up around the lights and front corners), terrible attention to detail (check out how that side marker light is mounted), stupid "headlights" for some unknown reason using what looks to be something inspired by a 1970's era Star Wars spaceship drawing, basic steel frame (why no weight savings there?) and frankly it looks like something Batman's Grandfather would own...years after he traded in the sleek aerodynamic badass Batmobile, he settled down and got himself an old-folks trailer but painted it black just to remind himself that he was, at one time, "cool."

Looks like something THIS guy would camp in:
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote