Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Please help - opinion please - 1967 caravel for $1000

Hi, I am about to buy a gutted 1967 caravel. The price is $1000. It is out at a lake house in east texas. It does have a title. Body not too bad, there is a crease/scrape going down one side. sucks. They said no leaks. some glass needs replaced. window cranks all there. door good aside from scrape on bottom. one problem, wife said rim came off wheel? Does it have a 2 piece wheel? Is $1000 a decent price? I will probably have to create a new layout with ikea furniture and mid century modern it out.
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Please help - opinion please - 1967 caravel for $1000

Greetings knishiya!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knishiya View Post
Hi, I am about to buy a gutted 1967 caravel. The price is $1000. It is out at a lake house in east texas. It does have a title. Body not too bad, there is a crease/scrape going down one side. sucks. They said no leaks. some glass needs replaced. window cranks all there. door good aside from scrape on bottom. one problem, wife said rim came off wheel? Does it have a 2 piece wheel? Is $1000 a decent price? I will probably have to create a new layout with ikea furniture and mid century modern it out.
Keep in mind that replacement glass for the windows on 1966-1968 Airstreams is quite expensive. Corning tempered glass was the original material and factory replacements aren't available, but reproductions are available at a cost . . . Vintage Trailer Supply and Inland RV are two of the vendors offering the reproduction glass. Be forewarned that some of the window latching hardware is also becoming difficult to find as well which impacts the cost when replacements are found. The only windows on these Vintages of Airstreams are the front and rear windows that utilized flat rather than the curved glass of the side windows.

Also, keep in mind that any body damage that you can't live with can be expensive to repair. Panel replacement becomes expensive very quickly.

Even with the windows that need to be replaced, the Caravel is a very popular size so the price is within reason particularly if the floor is sound and not in need of replacement . . . and even then, the price likely isn't that much above the salvage value of the aluminum and steel in the trailer.

Good luck with your deliberations!

Kevin

P.S.: I am not sure what is meant by " rim came off wheel?" . . . . while there are many insonsistencies with regard to when certain features appear and disappear from the Airstream equipment list, but it was my understanding that 1964 was the last year for split-rim wheels . . . but in those years Airstream was known for catering to customer desires so it is possible that a 1967 may have been so equpped. The other thing that did occur to me was that the whole wheel departed the trailer as in a spindle failure . . . something that has been noted with some of the 1960s small single-axle trailers. The other possibility that I can think of would be having all six lugs fracture permitting the wheel to fall off.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Thank you very much for the information. I purchased the caravel without seeing it in person and will go on sunday and check it out. I had very limited information but i really wanted to buy it. You just dont see too many of these small airstreams around for cheap. THey are also really popular to make into food trailers here in Austin. I will post my pictures and questions after i see it on sunday.
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Thank you very much for the information. I purchased the caravel without seeing it in person and will go on sunday and check it out. I had very limited information but i really wanted to buy it. You just dont see too many of these small airstreams around for cheap. THey are also really popular to make into food trailers here in Austin. I will post my pictures and questions after i see it on sunday.
knishiya, Don't stress too much on the tire/wheel/rim issue as they are available from several sites. InlandRV, VTS, OoDM, and other RV parts places will be able to get you the correct rims for your trailer. The glass is available again from Airstream but I think only InlandRV can get it for you. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Send along some pics when you pick up the trailer. Love to see a "diamond in the rough".
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Chiefland , Florida
67 Caravel

Quote:
Just my 2 cents worth-It really depends on your skill level-And as it has been pointed out, your are buying it for basically scrap price, so would be hard to lose! post pictures please, and good luck-Rolland
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1967, 1967 caravel, caravel