Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Rociada , New Mexico
Question Planning to purchase a 25' Airstream

We are seriously considering the purchase of a new 25' Airstream Eddie Bauer Edition. RV experience for 30 yrs, and have purchased several new units, but never an Airstream. Actually, never a trailer. (Class A's,B'sC's and pickup campers only)
Questions: Typically, without trade in's, 20% discounts from MSRP or even a bit more, will put a deal together. I am willing to travel from northern NM for delivery. What is realistic discount for Airstream? There are a number of 25'Eddie Bauer units within 500 miles from our home

Also, I would appreciate recommendations on weight distribution/anti sway equipment. Tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC HD 2500 4X4 with Durmax diesel and 6 spd. Allison transmission.

I have towed boats in the weight range of the Eddie Bauer, but at age 73, a bit anxious about the learning process.

Thanks for any recommendations. Wayne
partipoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Wayne,

I currently have a 2010 25' Flying Cloud and before this one I had a 2002 25' Classic. I bought the 25' Flying Cloud new in Feb 11 and it was a previous year model. Also, the dealer was going out of business and I got 26% off of list (I've heard that's the markup). I would think in regular circumstances, a discount of 20% is a number I have thought I would want. I know of 2 people that bought trailers this year from Foley RV in Gulfport, MS. I don't know what discount they got but it's worth a phone call.

On the hitch, I have the Equalizer hitch. I've used it on both trailers without a problem. It seems from the posts I've read here that trailers larger than 25' might require a better hitch - like a ProPride or Hensley. Check out the thread on the new Anderson hitch. I believe a lot of people are buying that hitch. I have a F250 diesel and my trailer tows like a dream.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

2008 25' International CCD
San Jose , California
I've got a 2008 International CCD 25FB, and a lighter duty truck than you ('08 Tundra 5.7L) and the Equalizer hitch. It tows very easily--you won't have any problems. The Equalizer is simple, and it works.
Stmpjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
A few of us including me, are switching to the Andersen hitch. No grease easy on and off and a great new design. 20% sounds about right. Shop around and make them compete for the sale. It's not like they are rolling them out the door.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Great tow truck. Good choice of trailer. Absolutely no problems towing it. Lots of different hitches. I use a Reese straight line hitch and like it. I am sure most all of the hitches are good. Trailer probably a bit more subject to sway than a boat trailer. You do need some sort of WD hitch.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The truck is enough for two Eddie Bauers (Airstreams pull easier and more stable than any other) so that's okay. Because of the heavy truck suspension get a weight distribution hitch with round or flat bars such as Reese for a compliant ride, not Equal-I-Zer. The new Andersen is said to ride softly as well, and is very light weight compared to everything else.

We bought a new 25' Flying Cloud last fall, our 2nd new Airstream in three years because the first one was too small. A very good size, I don't know if the E.B. has two single bed option but that is easier to use. I would not buy one off the showroom floor again. Same price if you place your own order with your own options (not that many to choose from but solar, inverter, and full awning package are worth every penny), usually six week build/delivery time. Then you won't have a trailer that's been to shows, displays, every door opened and slammed shut many times, and the testing customers do.

I would expect 12 - 18% under list unless it's really old stock which may be a trailer with some degree of wear and tear. Buy close to home if possible for good warranty and future service, but quality of service is not consistent everywhere.

As for using a trailer, it's pretty easy. And as you know with almost any camper you are either towing a trailer or a car, or have to take it all with you every time you leave the campsite. If you inspect and maintain your Airstream regularly, nothing else comes close in overall satisfaction (for most people).

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by partipoodles View Post
We are seriously considering the purchase of a new 25' Airstream Eddie Bauer Edition. RV experience for 30 yrs, and have purchased several new units, but never an Airstream. Actually, never a trailer. (Class A's,B'sC's and pickup campers only)
Questions: Typically, without trade in's, 20% discounts from MSRP or even a bit more, will put a deal together. I am willing to travel from northern NM for delivery. What is realistic discount for Airstream? There are a number of 25'Eddie Bauer units within 500 miles from our home

Also, I would appreciate recommendations on weight distribution/anti sway equipment. Tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC HD 2500 4X4 with Durmax diesel and 6 spd. Allison transmission.

I have towed boats in the weight range of the Eddie Bauer, but at age 73, a bit anxious about the learning process.

Thanks for any recommendations. Wayne
Hi Wayne,
We recently bought a 2012 25' FC. What I did was settle first on the model we wanted, and what interior we wanted. Then we let three dealers with good reputation compete. We got a very satisfactory price.

We went with an Equalizer hitch and I have no complaints about it relative to its cost. I tow with with Suburban and I have recently completed a 2500 mile trip and no sway, no nothing - just smooth towing.

I had never towed anything this large and I was a bit nervous about it. That turned out to be unnecessary worry. The AS tows "like it is not even there." On our recent trip we hitched and unhitched 20 times. My wife and I have it down to a couple minute job and is no trouble at all. I towed on Interstates, and on some of the hairiest, steepest mountain roads I have ever been on, and not once was I nervous about the trailer. I had to back it up a quarter mile out of a dead end, and it was no trouble. I doubt you will have anything to worry about.

Good luck. Look through these forums carefully.
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote