Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Keep posting the pic's

What great old pic's, keep posting.............
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
sunnyvale , California
old airstream pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
I don't mean new photographs of old Airstreams, I mean old photographs of current (at that time) Airstreams. Let me show by example.

My father took many slides of our travels with the Airstream. I have found the ones that had shots of the Airstream in it.

I am hoping that looking at these 'vintage' pictures would not only be fun but may be helpful to restorers that want to see what a trailer looked like 'back then'.

The link is: http://airstream.casarodante.org They are in no particular order. As people help the identifications, I will post more notes. My father's list of trailers that they owned are: '57, '62, '69, '71, '76 and '92. We have the '92 so there are no photos of that.

Have fun!
liked your pictures roger, those are the kind we need to see more of, thanks for posting. those were the days!!!
wayne wunder ,w.b.c.c.i./v.a.c.#4287 1962 19ft globetrotter
wunderful62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I've been trying to take photos of something representative of each trip we go on in our new Airstream. I also collect things like the camping receipts and tickets or receipts of activities we do while on camping trips to add to the journal I started when we picked up our AS at the dealer. I'm hoping that I'll be able to scan the receipts and put together an electronic scrap book for each of our boys to have of the fun times we have with our Airstream.

We are enjoying it so much that this is turning out to be a major task.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
We went back to my Mom's to visit and I found some more slides that I have scanned in. The direct link is: Roger's Airstream History (Round 2!) There is also a like from the first round of photos: Roger's Airstream History

Have fun with them!
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #45
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
We went back to my Mom's to visit and I found some more slides that I have scanned in. The direct link is: Roger's Airstream History (Round 2!) There is also a like from the first round of photos: Roger's Airstream History

Have fun with them!

Nice pictures. It sure looks like Airstreams were more prevalent back then.Like the Zion shot with the Airstream coming out of the tunnel.Thanks for posting the link.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #46
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:

Have fun with them!
Love it! Thanks for sharing. (Keep going back to mom's!)

Do you have a favorite memory or two?
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #47
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Once again, some really nice shots of some really wonderful memories!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Kodachrome or Ectachrome ?

Quote:
I don't mean new photographs of old Airstreams, I mean old photographs of current (at that time) Airstreams. Let me show by example.

My father took many slides of our travels with the Airstream. I have found the ones that had shots of the Airstream in it.

I am hoping that looking at these 'vintage' pictures would not only be fun but may be helpful to restorers that want to see what a trailer looked like 'back then'.

The link is: Roger's Airstream History They are in no particular order. As people help the identifications, I will post more notes. My father's list of trailers that they owned are: '57, '62, '69, '71, '76 and '92. We have the '92 so there are no photos of that.

Have fun!
Thanks for posting the pictures. They are really nice. I was just about to ask you if the slides were Kodachrome or Ectachrome when it hit me..... I asked you that same question back in 2002.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=retina (# 6,12,13)
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Nice pictures. It sure looks like Airstreams were more prevalent back then.Like the Zion shot with the Airstream coming out of the tunnel.Thanks for posting the link.
Seems like the 70's also. There are two shots with other Airstreams in them and they are different Airstreams.
On the road!
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
Old 01-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Thanks for posting the pictures. They are really nice. I was just about to ask you if the slides were Kodachrome or Ectachrome when it hit me..... I asked you that same question back in 2002.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=retina (# 6,12,13)
I have these in front of me still and ALL slides in this second round are Kodachrome.
On the road!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
I am REALLY enjoying looking at these photos....Thanks for sharing! I hope to make some memories like these with my two daughters, 23 and 20, but I guess more with my grandkids when they come along! Never too late....
Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Wow, Roger, those pix are sooooo cool !!!!!!

Hey Roger,

Just wanted to say Hi, and thanks for looking at my old Airstream Pix I posted.... I have my work cut out for me now, cuz you have me inspired to get em downloaded to digital, so I can share them like you have.

I'll tell you, you were one lucky kid, as was i, to be an official "Airstream Brat".
Not too many out here on the forum can say this. The awesome memories, The places you saw, the things you did as a family..were things I'll bet you carry with you every day of your life.... I know I do, and i am tickled to have an exact clone to my Grandparents trailer now, and I intend on making some history of my own for my kids and I.

Your father had the MOST AWESOME taste in tow cars!!!
As a classic car guy, and a dyed-in-the-wool FORD guy, I have always been a "woody wagon" guy...and the ultimate Ford "trailer hauler" has always been the Mercury Colony Park, or the Ford Country Squire.

Seems your dad had a 1960 Colony Park, a 62, a 63, a 65 Commuter, and a 68 Colony Park. That is WAAAAAAAAAAY too cool !!!!!! WOW !!!

My buddy (that has over 300 cars) has a '68 Red Colony Park that I may just have to check out.... It is a 428 car, witha roof rack, A/C and loaded with options....I think this would be the ultimate Airstream hauler!!! I hafta find the big white full width mudflap to hang under the rear bumper tho.....that is the ultimate in cool.....

And i also hafta find a pair of those "Ultra-Cool" Peter Fonda Ray Ban 60's sunglasses too......

Gee...think i was born 20 yrs too late now???

People ask me..."Don't you like ANY new stuff???"
I reply....."Sure I do......when it get's old, I do...."

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, MI
WBCCI #22426

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31
Hey Roger,

Just wanted to say Hi, and thanks for looking at my old Airstream Pix I posted.... I have my work cut out for me now, cuz you have me inspired to get em downloaded to digital, so I can share them like you have.

I'll tell you, you were one lucky kid, as was i, to be an official "Airstream Brat".
Not too many out here on the forum can say this. The awesome memories, The places you saw, the things you did as a family..were things I'll bet you carry with you every day of your life.... I know I do, and i am tickled to have an exact clone to my Grandparents trailer now, and I intend on making some history of my own for my kids and I.

Your father had the MOST AWESOME taste in tow cars!!!
As a classic car guy, and a dyed-in-the-wool FORD guy, I have always been a "woody wagon" guy...and the ultimate Ford "trailer hauler" has always been the Mercury Colony Park, or the Ford Country Squire.

Seems your dad had a 1960 Colony Park, a 62, a 63, a 65 Commuter, and a 68 Colony Park. That is WAAAAAAAAAAY too cool !!!!!! WOW !!!
Maybe we need to create a WBCCI sub group for 'brats'?

My father always used a wagon until they stopped putting the 400 engine in them. The last one he had was a '71 wagon. He then went to a Club Wagon with a 460.
On the road!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
The Sierra Nevada Airstreamers have a website that has many interesting photos. Airstream Travelogues
On the road!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Thanks for the additional site to look at Roger. My parents took a ton of pictures when we camped but they were all with SOB's as they were Airstream wannabee's which is probably where I got my obsession from. By the time I was 21 I was on the prowl for just the right one. It took a while. My brother has all the slides from back then so I'll see if he's willing to let me have them for a while to pull out the camping ones that would be relevant here. They did take a picture of any Airstream they saw in the campgrounds on our trips across Canada and the USA and during any slideshow we were sure to see at least a few where Dad would always quip "And here's our next trailer" to which we all roll our eyes having heard it a hundred times before. So does that make us brat wannabee's?

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

I think it would be a neat new game to match the NUMBERS on the top of the old airstream photos, to the same airstreams still in use today!!

My numer is : 10183 if anyone has an old shot of this Overlander, I'd love to see it!!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Just my luck!!

Speaking of old WBCCI numbers......

In my (so far fruitless) search to locate my paternal Grandfather's 1969 23' Safari (sold in 76) I did a check several years ago, through the WBCCI Headquarters in Jackson Center, on my Grandfathers number--- #22425.

According to their stats, the number was re-issued the first and only time to a gentleman in (i believe) Maryland around 1980 or so. I spoke to this gentleman one time, thinking this may just be the trailer, but no, his was a later 70's 31' Sovereign.

This number showed up every year since, in the WBCCI Directory, and i assumed he was still an active member.

Fast forward to last summer, and i finally found a clone trailer to my Grandfather's...on ebay, and in WPB, Fla. After the purchase, and on the way up, I HAD to stop in Jackson Center, (Airstream Mecca) and tour the facilities. My last stop on my way home was to WBCCI HQ, and i became an official member.... And #22425 was still listed to that same gentleman, so i opted for the next successive number.(#22426) I thought it only fitting, since there could really NEVER be another #22425.....

Wouldn't you know, just a few weeks ago, i get my very first WBCCI Directory in the mail, and sure enough, there is no #22425 listed anymore!!!!
I guess it would take just a call to WBCCI HQ, and request Gramp's old number, once and for all..... hmmm... I have been rolling that around for awhile now.....is this something I really want to do, after all this time now??.....and the "Big Red Numbers" are already in place up on my own "Tin Can".....

Interestingly enough, In the 1976 WBCCI Directory, the numbers had already gotten into the early 30000s..... These must have been nearly peak years for membership in the club. Does anyone know what year was the peak of membership..... and how many members?? I remember the tour guide at Airstream telling me it was 1973 or 1974 that was the peak years of production for them, running 24 hrs a day 7 days a week on the line to keep up with orders. MMmmmmm...Good Days.....

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

Old 02-16-2007, 06:25 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Commander 31...

It only seems logical that you need to buy another A/S.

A 1969 23' Safari to put your grandfather's old #'s on.

Good Luck,

Steve
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
I like your thought process Steve!!!....

I guess the ultimate solution would be to find his actual trailer somewhere, I'll bet the "ghost numbers" would still be visible up top.....

I figure that some time, somewhere, with the advent of this internet, and this forum, and how small it makes this huge world of ours.... that i will one day run across this trailer.....after a 31 yr absence, and knowing my luck, it will still be here in the Metro Detroit area...

THEN.... What'll I do with TWO identical 69 23' Safaris ????

Hmmm...guess I'll also hafta try and find two identical '68 Mercury Colony Park Woody Wagons to pull em with too, eh???? (gotta keep the retro-cool vintage theme now, ya know!!)

Gee, I am beginning to like my own thought processes now too.... !!!!

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If this were me I'd be grabbing gramp's number. But then, that's just me. But it would awful good on that trailer..........

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote