Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
Newbie: Camping items in AS while Driving?

Greetings! Our steep learning curve has resulted in an ever increasing volume of 'essential' items for which we are very excited but having an increasing problem of finding room! We have a 28' International SS. TV is a 2500 Suburban. With generator, grill, mats, screened shelter, lounge chairs, etc - I have reached capacity.

Question: Do people store items temporarily in AS while driving - similar to Eddie Bauer? If so, what kind of tie downs to minimize potential damage? And similarly, where do people store the gas for use in generator? We have 3 kids under 5 in the suburban (car seats) and it makes me nervous to carry in back for obvious reasons!

Thanks in advance!

Chris.
AKSTRM.
hrthelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When we traveled with a VW Camper van we would decide what our essential items were, then leave half of that at home. Never missed any of it.

If you've got too much stuff, you've got too much stuff. It'll be a better trip without it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi Chris,

Are all your trips boondocking? If you're going to a place with shore power/hookups, the generators and gas aren't needed (unless you're in to simultaneous use of belts, suspenders, ropes, Velcro, duct tape...). :-)

We're new too. I think we pack too much as is. You'll find the right balance!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yup - sounds like overload. At the least, make a list of what you have taken, and anything you don't use in two trips, drop it.

And please don't carry gasoline or propane inside a vehicle with you and/or the kids. Think about a front hitch with a hitch-haul platform on it, or maybe on the trailer tongue, or just get solar panels and leave the generator at home.

I don't secure anything inside my trailer ... if I drive right and anticipate so I don't have to brake hard, accelerate hard, or corner hard, nothing moves more than an inch or two. I leave many things out on the counters, and they're still there when I arrive. If it's fragile and I worry that it might slide and break if I HAD to stop hard, then I put it on the floor pushed up against the front gaucho so it can't get up any relative motion before the gaucho stops it. YMMV, but nothing has ever broken in many tens of thousands of miles of towing. (Disclaimer: I do have a big glass bowl that usually travels full of fruit, and "just in case," I always set it on the gaucho before driving off. So far, so good.)
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I tow with a pickup so the generator and fuel issue are easy for me. Most everything else I carry in the trailer... a small grill, patio mat, folding chairs, ice chest, etc. Mind you, I have a vinyl floor in my trailer, I would want to find another place for the patio mat, but with my floor I can just sweep up if dirt is stuck to the mat.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Think of it this way. If you were going on a trip which required a hotel stay what would you bring? Just enough to carry.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sounds like you might need to re-think some of your tonage. Having a Bambi, we carry our patio chairs folded up under the dinette table, and occasionally we'll put an ice chest in the Bambi on the floor over the axle, but other than that, we can get everything else we need for virtually any trip we make in the truck bed...with a tonneau cover ... the dogs take up the double-cab seat, so there's nothing else but people and dogs stored in the cab!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Anchorage , Alaska
We are about to take our first boondocking trip - which precipitated post. First time to bring generator. I love to grill and have enjoyed my Weber Q200 - don't want to leave home without it. We live in AK and he Mosquitos have been epic this year so I purchased a screened tent for outside eating and relaxing. And we do have three kids which tends to take up some space

I appreciate the posts and agree that we may quickly learn to do without items - just thought I would explore if storing inside trailer was ill advised (or possible). Agree that gas will not be in Suburban. Plan to fill gas when we arrive at destination - and will look into optional hitches / tongue storage.

Any suggestions regarding products that can store the extra gas for generator?

Chris.
hrthelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you can't carry extra gasoline perhaps you could get a small siphon hand pump and take it from the Suburban tank as needed.

The tent, grill, and generator can ride inside the trailer on the floor between the axles, for weight and balance. Maybe get a plastic storage bin to hold the generator.

But traveling light and making do is the key to successful camping is our experience after 50 years.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Maybe one of those storage pod affairs that fit on top of the tow vehicle might help. I'm sure the kid-equipment adds to what you need to bring! You didn't mention what generator you have, but a Honda 2000 fits nicely in a Rubbermaid 24gal ActionPacker tote... We have a friend who carries the fuel for the generator on one of those carpet sample squares, and lashed to the tongue behind the propane tanks with bungee cords...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Action Packer 24gal.png
Views:	163
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	190853  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie: Camping items in AS while Driving?

Another possibility for hauling items that may be dirty or messy to carry inside of tow vehicle or Airstream would be to consider using the luggage rack on top of your Suburban. I don't know whether X-Cargo makes carry modules for the new Suburban roof racks, but they had several nice clam-shell-hinged modules when I purchased my Suburban in April of 1998.

I had an X-Cargo carrier for the roof of my Pontiac Bonneville tow vehicle that I used to carry tents, ground covers, canopies, and a variety of camping supplies that tended to be dirty or otherwise messy.

Good luck in resolving your storage issues!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Good advice so far on this thread! I would go with the less is more theme. Each time we go out for a new season, I take stuff out of our Bambi we haven't used. If I know we will need something special for a specific trip, then we will put it in...(say a easy up or our awning [vintage type] if we know we will camp in the sun, say at a shoreline at a lake) ~ otherwise we might leave those things at home. We travel with our vintage pickup so generator and such go in the bed of the truck.

Try to find things that can "double duty" for your trailer, things you can use in more than one way. If you are going to be staying in parks with full hook ups... you won't need some things at all...if you are doing a lot of boondocking, then you might want some things you wouldn't take otherwise. Go camping, have fun... if you forget something, put it on a list for next time. If it gets in the way, leave it at home.

Have fun with your family!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I have stored our big bug tent on the floor of the Airstream before now; it's big and heavy and doesn't move around when we're on the move. Mostly, though, we travel light these days. Nothing but food and clothes in the trailer and two totes, four lawn chairs and lightweight table in the TV.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote