Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Great suggestions here!

Once you've done the basics, such as thinking through what tow vehicle is best for your both towing and your non-towing needs, the Airstream dealer from whom you purchase your coach if buying new can be a great asset. When given an indoctrination, take careful notes and ask if it's OK to video the person doing the demonstration. As others have said, this is a house on wheels (or a boat on wheels!) with many different systems, and you would do well to understand the basics of each. Over time, you can learn more detail.

In fact, maybe the hardest thing of all is to sort out the newbie essentials from the flood of details available.

Taking an RV course is a good option. Going into our first travel trailer, we never did, but it can be confidence building. I've towed small boats since I could first drive, so backing trailers and understanding that a trailer going forward always turns inside the turn of the tow vehicle (that's why you always make super wide turns when driving forward around an obstacle) was nothing new. But the weight, adjusting weight distribution and other factors certainly were new. Obviously, a super lightweight sports car with oversize brakes can stop quickly. But when you have three tons of travel trailer pushing you forward when you're trying to stop, a bit of a different story! And when you try to leave lots of room in front of you on a crowded urban freeway/expressway, of course people will be happy to slide in and close the gap for you! So steadiness (no sudden moves), large following distances, and patience to achieve both are your best friends on the road.

Even if you do take an RV driving course, it's great advice to find an empty parking lot. Put out some small traffic cones to defined "curbs" and "back in space" and practice turning around the cones (use your side view to see just how close inside your tow vehicles turning radius the trailer cuts in towards the cone.)

Practice backing into the "space" you've created. I find it helpful to stop and think before rolling when backing in. "Let's see--if I turn the wheel to the left while backing up, that will move the back of my vehicle to the left, which means it moves the front of the trailer to the left and the back of the trailer to the right." Saying that out loud and picturing it before you start rolling will really help, as silly as it may seem.

Understand that there is a limit as to how severe an angle there can be between your vehicle and the trailer before damage occurs. Understand also that it takes a long distance to go from extreme angle to straight. So when you start, try to use small angles, giving yourself tons of distance to correct.

Here's another backup tip--to straighten out the rig, the vehicle must follow behind the backwards moving trailer. You steer to follow the trailer's path. Again, pause first and picture this before you move an inch!

A great way to do this is to get an experienced friend to back up your rig in the parking lot while you stand alongside the rig. He can call out to you what he's about to do and then you can watch what happens at each stage of the process. This should include some "corrections" to the inevitable oversteer situation.

Not very many people do this, but we find it works great to have my wife (an excellent driver) drive the vehicle while I stand outside and direct her with hand signals to tell exactly which way to turn the wheels--and exactly how much to turn them. With more experience in trailers, I can see the angles developing before there's an issue. Once we got comfortable together doing this, we nail it perfectly every time (as long as I don't mess up!)

As others have said, ALWAYS use a spotter (preferably yourself when you have experience) when backing up. No exceptions!!!!

Formulating and using a checklist is a superb idea for at least the first two seasons. Pilots of all different sized aircraft use them before every flight, regardless of how much experience the pilot has--and for good reason! My wife and I do individual walk-arounds ofthe rig for a visual check every morning before we pull onto the road. Trailer attached? Electrical cord attached? Stabilizer jacks retracted? Chains attached and clear of the ground? Trailer brake cable attached? Weight distribution/anti sway engaged? Tires not flat? Wheel lugs tight? Awning locks engaged? Windows closed? (Fantastic vents can actually be left open safely if you prefer.) Double check both main cabin door locks? That's a partial list...way too hard to remember everything, so that's that the written checklist is for!

You're going to have great fun! Just take it easy, check and double check everything, and--take it easy! Remember, this is going to get easier and easier, and it's lots of fun!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
Yes! wide swings
TimeForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Similar experience. We hope to retire within the next 12 months (hopefully earlier - but the stock market is killing me). In 2013 we decided we would do the trailer thing; and at the time bought a diesel truck that we knew would tow what ever type of trailer we decided upon. In 2014 started to hunt around for a used ~ 2010 25' AS. After nearly a year, finally found one a few thousand miles away that was in good shape and at the price we were willing to spend. Personally glad we went with the more expensive AS versus trying a cheaper trailer first. I actually think my wife would not be as pumped to travel if it weren't for the AS coolness!

Before we got our AS, I started an excel spreadsheet noting many items from this forum, which greatly helped me by the time i got the AS. I have a section that is my depart and setup checklist (taken from several other posts on the forum); a section on what to buy; a section on cleaning and repair; and a section on good places to go that others on the forum recommend. I just keep on updating this as i learn or see new info on the forum. Could be helpful to do something similar.

After working thru the issue of hitches, Both my wife and I found it much easier than expected to do the trailer thing. Things like backing up not nearly as bad as many say (i.e. still not divorced) - just do it slowly. If you have experience going tent camping, then this will be a piece of cake. Even if not, I expect you will be surprised. It is taking it on that first road-trip - and going for that 1st 15 minutes.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Just do it

I bought my Airstream because my friend, Marylou, dared me to do it. One day we were talking about how much we loved AS. I said I would buy one someday. She said, "You only like to talk about Airstreams--you will never buy one..." Well, I showed her by driving across the state and buying a new 23' International Ocean Breeze.
I drove home 120 miles in a Florida lightening/thunderstorm/major rain. I had never towed anything before. When I got home, I thought, "What in the world have I done?"
Well, here we are , 8 years and about 60,000 miles later.
Best decision I ever made.
My suggestions:
1. Find a friend who has an RV...let him/her show you the basics.
2. Take a bunch of short trips from home.
3. EXPECT problems--it is like a boat..there will be problems. They are all "fixable."
4. Have a GREAT TIME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyretire View Post
Looking at buying a Sport 22 FB in the next 3 years pending my retirement. This will be a first for me and I know that I have a lot to learn about tow vehicles, hookups, tire pressure, steering, backing up, sway and everything else. Is there anyone on this forum who originally jumped into this lifestyle knowing nothing about trailers (i.e. never owned one before, didn't grow up in a household that owned one, never owned a tow-class vehicle, never worked on cars or got grease under their fingernails, etc etc)? And if so, how long did it take to come up to speed and then how long after purchase did it take to learn to safely drive, steer, backup, maintain the vehicle? I am certainly able to read about, study etc everything I can, but I know that reading manuals etc. just won't translate when rubber finally meets the road. Thanks!!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
We bought our 25 three years ago. The best piece of advice I received: Find a big empty parking lot and spend an hour backing into spaces, turning corners and parallel parking. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll learn what to do and it's a lot more fun than trying to back into a camping site with a dozen monday morning quarterbacks watching your first attempt. When you do get to that first camp site - take a deep breath and take it slow. Remember how easy it was in the parking lot and just repeat it. You will do just fine!

Our 25 is just about the right size for the two of us, but if I had to do it over I'd go 27 or 28. Amazing what a couple of extra feet can do for storage. 30 might be too big for some of our state parks here in Michigan. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to maneuver a double axle trailer - I am much better with the 25 than I am with a small single axle trailer.

The suggestions for a trip to the Airstream Factory are excellent. One of the best things we could have ever done as newbies. You'll meet great people who were all first timers once and more than willing to help.

Enjoy!!
j
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #26
Airstream newcomer

1969 31' Sovereign
Spokane , Washington
Pretty much jumped into the deep end

The only thing I did before I bought my first trailer (a 16' canned ham) was to repair and maintain my Karmen Ghia and towed a 4'x8' utility trailer across our (small) town and back. Twice!

Then I retired and decided I needed a project and bought the 16 footer - which is all aluminum and very light. So I could tow it with my Toyota RAV4 (4 cyl). I learned to repack the wheel bearings, bought new tires, fixed the tail lights and started going camping in it even though it was practically stripped inside and I slept on the floor until I build a bed. I had it go into a nasty 'sway' once, fortunately on a country road, and learned about tongue weight.

Since you don't have a tow vehicle ("never owned a tow-class vehicle,") you might want to start smaller (and less expensive) than an Airstream. If you have an SUV or crossover or a small/light duty truck, you can safely tow a small travel trailer or a utility trailer. I know utility trailers aren't the same thing (as several have already pointed out) but they are inexpensive to rent and you can at least practice backing and going around corners. RangerJay is totally correct on the mirrors - none of them work. As in, they vibrate off, down and/or away as soon as you start driving. A couple of times, I duct taped them on but I wouldn't recommend it . . . difficult to get the tape residue off.

This year I bought a 1969 Sovereign (31') and a 2011 GMC Sierra HD 2500 Diesel truck. Since I've only had the truck a couple of weeks, I haven't towed the AS yet . . . another learning experience, what fun! I've been checking out nearby, large and empty parking lots, ha ha.
traileritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
I have had experience doing every thing you said you hadn't done. We got the AS bug and I thought "no problem, I go this covered". Was I wrong. I have had to learn many things in a short time, some at a large $ cost (had to buy a new TV). Although renting a rig would expose you to what this lifestyle entails, I'd suggest you find a friend that has experience towed a travel trailer that could help you learn the ropes. It may have something to do with my age, OK everything has to do with my age these days, but I find towing a TT is different from all the other trailers I've towed over the years. After my experience with an inadequate TV for the Blue Ridge Mountains, made sure you get a TV within the 80% rule that has sufficient power to handle the terrain you plane travel. You will have fun and learn new things.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
nearlyretire: Females are teachable. 20 years USAF officer. Most guys just want to know what time it is- not how to build the clock. You can become the clock builder. If you depend on this forum you'll remain a novice and will read 7 to 18 eMails per day. Not all knowledge is available and some subjects you may wait a long time before they are addressed. You'll be well prepared if you can hook up with some Airstreamers via eMail. You'll become expert if you get the phone number of an Airstreamer who has over 100,000 miles under the belt, towed in most US states in all weather and all over Europe for 5 years, had multiple rigs, has a strong background in military vehicle maintenance and years at Sears Automotive, and remodeled 2 houses from ground up. Go private to BigButtUgly. You have not yet started at square one.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #29
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If you can drive the 405, you can drive anywhere...... Use the anticipation and occasional apprehension to remain humble. Drive/tow during non rush hour. Choose routes that more closely match your skill and confidence level. With experience will come confidence. Your face will hurt from smiling....
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Just read everything here for a month or two, and you'll be able to argue about hitches, 3 or 4 stage converters, Payload, solar, generators, and GCVWR with impunity.
Hey you left out tires and tire pressures.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
brandon , South Dakota
Slow down!

Best advice I can give is to slow down and give yourself lots of room. I don't like to drive faster than I can think. Also, I believe the Goodyear tires are rated at 60 mph. You get better gas at that speed, and your going to be retired, no need to be in a hurry.

I would also suggest a weather alert radio. Something I would not have thought about 20 some years ago, but we were able to "Bug out" twice and avoid some really nasty weather.

Good luck, and enjoy.
brbarnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mission Viejo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Very basic tips for a comfortable and safe start to your towing life might be:
  • Recognize that hauling a trailer is a different experience than hauling a boat, pop-up or utility trailer.
  • A rule-of-thumb is to not exceed the towing capacity of your vehicle by more than 80%.
  • A good hitch (weight distribution and anti-sway), good brake controller and appropriate tires are all vital parts of your towing comfort and safety.
  • The more you push or ignore the 80% rule of thumb the more important the quality of the hitch, brake controller and tires become.
  • Don't compromise on mirrors - if you are thinking about the strap on extensions to your current mirrors then you are compromising.
  • Find or make your own towing check-list to keep you on track when getting ready and hooking up - after a while you won't need it but it will help you through your learning curve.
There are lots of other tips you are going to get - but I do believe that if you have the basics down for a comfortable and safe start the rest will sort themselves out as you go along - right down to the best coffee maker ...... and how to mix the perfect martini when on the road .....

Jay
Thanks for the photo, THAT made me laugh out loud, and here at work to boot!
nearlyretire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
nearlyretire: Before you buy, (1) define your use. (2) Fitting your tow vehicle to rig is also paramount. (3) % travel days per year and to where. (4) Define your weather parameters. (5) If you want to negotiate Germany's backroads, learn when to go no farther forward if you have 2 wheel drive, be able to back up a mile or more with a 22 footer or know your limits going off road for a turnaround. (6) Evaluate if you want to stick only to interstates and only use campgrounds with pull thru spots or do you want to travel the unplowed logging roads in the UP of MI or back the trailer thru 4' high snow banks to camp in the year-round parks. (7) Know your tolerance for convenience: very convenient =$, complexity, workarounds during failure or a degraded systems. (8) If you want an occasional companion for long trips a vintage 26 footer might be a better choice. (9) If you don't want much grease under your fingernails, keep them short or buy an older Holiday Rambler e.g. 1982 Ramblette (10) If you get educated from books you might become smarter than you want or need to be. (11) Thinking of full time?
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mike in Puget Sound , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlyretire View Post
Looking at buying a Sport 22 FB in the next 3 years pending my retirement.
You might consider moving up slowly by getting a "starter" trailer. I see many ads with trailers for sale stating "only slept in for (enter your favorite number between 1 and 15) nights".

I had previous experience as a shade-tree mechanic but little experience with trailers; I had been to the dump with an old converted pickup truck bed with a hitch welded on - remember those? And I had back-packed and camped, and liked travelling to the Rockies and to various National Parks. But I had no experience with travel trailers.

It was a dealer, curiously, who suggested we buy used and find out if the Mrs. and I really enjoyed trailering. We subsequently bought a little 1,100-pound teardrop trailer that I could tow with my Passat. From there, we have progressed one year later to a 2,500 pound (dry weight) fiberglass 17-foot Casita. This step required purchasing a new tow vehicle.

All along the way, we have discovered that the things we had previously "known for sure" regarding our preferences and requirements were not always correct. As an example, we decided early on that we had absolutely no interest in a microwave. Then we realized how much it helped to keep coffee hot under "field conditions". So, now it's essential.

I am currently spending a great deal of time reading up on operating, maintaining and improving the various electrical, mechanical, gas and plumbing systems in this little trailer. If you are of a conscientious nature, I agree that a year will get you started.
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mike in Puget Sound , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpeltier View Post
Just read everything here for a month or two, and you'll be able to argue about hitches, 3 or 4 stage converters, Payload, solar, generators, and GCVWR with impunity.
Hey, wait just a minute!

I've been frequenting several forums and I have never seen any indication that you have to know anything before arguing with impunity!
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Colts Neck , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
Similar experience. We hope to retire within the next 12 months (hopefully earlier - but the stock market is killing me). In 2013 we decided we would do the trailer thing; and at the time bought a diesel truck that we knew would tow what ever type of trailer we decided upon. In 2014 started to hunt around for a used ~ 2010 25' AS. After nearly a year, finally found one a few thousand miles away that was in good shape and at the price we were willing to spend. Personally glad we went with the more expensive AS versus trying a cheaper trailer first. I actually think my wife would not be as pumped to travel if it weren't for the AS coolness!

Before we got our AS, I started an excel spreadsheet noting many items from this forum, which greatly helped me by the time i got the AS. I have a section that is my depart and setup checklist (taken from several other posts on the forum); a section on what to buy; a section on cleaning and repair; and a section on good places to go that others on the forum recommend. I just keep on updating this as i learn or see new info on the forum. Could be helpful to do something similar.

After working thru the issue of hitches, Both my wife and I found it much easier than expected to do the trailer thing. Things like backing up not nearly as bad as many say (i.e. still not divorced) - just do it slowly. If you have experience going tent camping, then this will be a piece of cake. Even if not, I expect you will be surprised. It is taking it on that first road-trip - and going for that 1st 15 minutes.

As a newbie I would love to get a copy of your excel sheet. Could you email it to me?
megster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I have not read al of the posts on this tread but the one thing I tell any FIRST TIME BUYER is Never Buy New.

I don't care how much work you put in before buying you will never get what you need on the first shot. That need may be something completely unique to you that no one else mentioned so save the money on that first purchase and get some time under your belt.

All too often buyers will go to a show and see a display that has flowers and wine glasses on the table but never realize there is no place to store their shoes.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote