Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
MSRP of older trailers

We just bought our Airstream!! A 1987 Excella... the problem is, the insurance company wants the original cost of the trailer, back in 1987. Is there a source for this information? Thanks!
Steven
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Steven,

I use the NADA guides because they have older units as well as new stuff. Here is the link to your year possibly not your model but you can search around. Used 1987 AIRSTREAM EXCELLA prices, values, specs and options at NADAguides

The state the suggested list price? Could that be when it was new? Not sure.

Cheers,

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Wow Vinnie. I have looked at the NADA guides a million times and had never noticed the suggested list price before. Funny how blind we are when we aren't looking for something specific. I have looked at the trade in and average retail prices as well as the numbers for all the optional equipment a bunch.

Good catch. I can see this info being very useful in a lot of ways. Thanks for pointing it out.
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
We just bought our Airstream!! A 1987 Excella... the problem is, the insurance company wants the original cost of the trailer, back in 1987. Is there a source for this information? Thanks!
Steven
Steven
Congratulations on your new coach. Now you have to update your information from "Currently Looking."

We too have a 1987 Excella 1000 and love it. It is built like a tank and trailers nicer than our '06.

Have fun.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
no picture

Quote:
We just bought our Airstream!! A 1987 Excella... Steven
Steven
Post us a pic.
Dan
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Keep all receipts for updates so just in case you can prove what the trailer is worth when fixed up the way you want her. Enjoy streamin along!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steven,

This is one more example of an insurance company asking for completely useless information. Do they want the price in 1987 dollars or 2009 dollars? There are websites that will make the inflation adjustment—just Goggle for it. The reason to give them the adjusted price is to make the trailer worth more in their eyes and that may be useful if there's a claim.

But, of course, this is silly—it's present market value that matters. Be sure the policy is for replacement value and document any improvements that have been made. Even better, find a less crazy insurance company.

Welcome to the clan.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Wink My Experience With The Same Issue...

Quote:
Steven

Steven,

Just my $0.02. I recently went throught the same girations a few months ago. Here's my take, but by all means choose the path you feel best suits your needs.

Tell them what you value you want it insured for. The original purchase price is irrevelant in most cases. My prior agent (as in I dumped him) gave me this standard BS line, and could not justify the reason why when I questioned him about it. I contacted another agent with the same underwriter for a quote. He asked me several questions such as purchase price, replacement value, and desired deductable. Then beat the #$*% out of the other guy's quote.

Points I pondered:

1. It's not realistic to expect someone to know the original purchase price of an older unit, and NADA values don't typically give a good representation of some market trends.

2. Say it cost $10,000 ten years ago, and now it's a rare, or highly desireable model worth considerably more than the original purchase price. Or worth substantially less than the original prurchase price. In either case you could end up significantly under/over insured.

It was worth another phone call in my case. I received more coverage and a better rate. PM me if you want to know the underwriter I dealt with.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
Just returned from a short out of town trip, thanks folks! That helped. Now, to post photo of new (to us) Airstream in my profile. :-)
StevenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Be sure to ask your insurance how much they would pay if your trailer is a total loss in an accident.

Even if you insure it for a stated amount does not mean they will pay that. They will collect your premium but try to pay a lot less. I know it happened to me.

I think you need to show receipts and maybe an appraisal on the Airstream and have them treat it like a vintage auto. That way you will be covered fully.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Fairfield , California
Quote:
Steven
Pm me the options and I'll look it up on my commercial account. It will give me the so called current value, but it will also give me what they have on record as the original cost.
Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote