Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Looking for solutions for uncomfortable mattress...

HI, has anyone dealt with an uncomfortable airstream mattress? My husband & I are brand new to travel trailers. We recently purchased a brand new 2019 Sport 22FB and the mattress is nearly impossible for me to sleep on. Airstream says it is memory foam but it is hard like a rock. I am 67 and my hips, back & legs hurt all night long on that mattress. I cannot get a decent nights rest. Not so on our mattress at home, which is covered with a Tempurpedic mattress topper. We are trying to find a more reasonable mattress topper solution that won't break the bank. (Tempurpedic mattress toppers are not cheap and we would have to cut it up to boot!) Has anyone else dealt with this issue and willing to share solutions? We are looking into a custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper with Quilted Organic Cotton Covertopper from a company called Mattress Insider. Any feedback from any of you out there? Would be so grateful for any thoughts... Thank you!
firemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Another consideration: If you plan to camp in cold weather you might consider adding a venting filler beneath the mattress. This allows body moisture/condensation to escape, preventing mold and not feeling damp when you prespire. It also provides another cushioning barrier between your body's bearing points and the wood deck.

Google a product called Hypervent.

I'm heavy weight side sleeper, so my hips and shoulders felt like they were touching the wood bed platform through the mattress.
I added a 2" foam pad on top. It did help. There is a mattress manufacturer near where I live. I provided dimensions and they cut the foam. They wrapped in the same quilted fabric that they use on their mattresses, so the topper became about 2.5". Cost was ~$150. I picked up so no shipping.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I bought a mattress I liked about the same size, bought an electric carving knife placed the AS mattress on top of my new mattress, outlined the AS mattress with a sharpie, then cut the new mattress to the AS shape. Worked like a charm....
Old 06-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

We love our sleep number at home (i8) and in the airstream (r5). Worth every penny. Short radius queen for the airstream. Both sides are independently adjustable for firmness.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/RV-Beds/p/R5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	342901  
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
sleep number

A positive affirmation! My sleep number is the most comfortable mattress I have ever slept on. In addition, it's lightweight makes it ideal for a travel trailer, assuming you have some Power to run the air pump for adjustments. It is feather light, hypoallergenic, and impervious to permanent indentations.

Alas the bed in my airstream is in the corner! How I wish sleep number made an air mattress that would fit!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I'll add an endorsement for Sleep Number. We bought a Sleep number P5 King for the house, with an adjustable frame. We liked it a lot but wanted individual frame adjustments so we bought another, a split king (really two extended twins) and put the king in another bedroom. Our Classic 30 Slideout Twin had extra room at the foot of the beds. Sleep Number put their C-class beds on sale. The main difference I could see in the C and the P was the thickness of the foam so we bought two extended twins for the Airstream and added foam toppers. I had to extend the width of the bed platforms a couple of inches but we sleep as well in the Airstream as we do at home.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sleep Number

Me too, for Sleep Number. Tried a number of solutions but when the RV version went on sale I jumped on it and we have been happy sleepers ever since.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
Any suggestions for those with the sofa beds? We have two sofas in our 22’ Safari which pull out to full beds. The PO had new cushions made just prior to selling the trailer, so we would rather not have new ones made again, but these are VERY firm.
We have a great three inch topper from the bed in our 31' trailer, but it becomes a floppy mess when this bed is in the sofa position. I found a nice two inch topper which would work from a sleeping standpoint, but it also looks sloppy when I try to leave it on while in the sofa position. I was even considering using sleeping bag pads as they would store nicely during the day, but am not sure if they would slide around while sleeping??
WBCCI #4447
AIR #70157
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
sammamish , wa
3 inch memory foam helps

we also have a 22 sport. We picked up a 3 in memory foam mattress topper for the bed. We found the queen size fit very well and we did not need to cut it despite the rounded corner in the bed. We found that it tended to slide a bit but we added mattress straps to hold the bed sheets on and this has helped tremendously. We enjoyed this so much we actually picked up another for our bed at home which happens to be a sleep number bed.

for the other bed we have a twin mattress topper (3 in tempur pedic) we can use if we are traveling with one of the kids. it is a bit of a pain as we have to move it to the bed during the day so we can make a table but it does make sleeping more comfortable for our children.
TikiRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy

Look at rockymountainmattress.com/rv-mattresses. I have no regrets and they will do radial cuts to match your factory cut. Best decision I ever made.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Tuft and Needle mattress

Solution for us was a new Tuft and Needle queen matress for our 30'Classic.

Hated the ribs on the bed because they flexed to much under the OE mattress. I cut 3/8" plywood to slip between the mattress and bed frame. Better for me; worse for my wife.

Bought the new Tuft and Needle that is being installed as OE in new AS models. It even has the split to allow the bed to slide up into the reading position.

Kept the plywood under it for a few nights, then pulled it out. I slept pretty well. Jury is still our for my wife.

Installed these U-bolts to prevent the mattress from sliding off the bed when we tilted it up. Cheaper and works as well as the device you can buy from AS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-1.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	342952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown-2.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	342954  

ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

2018 20' Flying Cloud
DFW Area , Texas
Looking for solutions for uncomfortable mattress....

We started with the Sport 22FB, which I think is what you now have. I purchased a goose down featherbed (they have various options and pricing). The double size worked well for us for the bed. I bought a twin-sized on for the dinette "bed" which I found very hard.

The Company Store also has other bed toppers from a 2" memory foam to a more expensive pillowtop. Good quality as we have had it for 3 years now and no problems. https://www.thecompanystore.com/mattress-toppers

Good luck!
LuvMyShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemermaid View Post
HI, has anyone dealt with an uncomfortable airstream mattress? My husband & I are brand new to travel trailers. We recently purchased a brand new 2019 Sport 22FB and the mattress is nearly impossible for me to sleep on. Airstream says it is memory foam but it is hard like a rock. I am 67 and my hips, back & legs hurt all night long on that mattress. I cannot get a decent nights rest. Not so on our mattress at home, which is covered with a Tempurpedic mattress topper. We are trying to find a more reasonable mattress topper solution that won't break the bank. (Tempurpedic mattress toppers are not cheap and we would have to cut it up to boot!) Has anyone else dealt with this issue and willing to share solutions? We are looking into a custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper with Quilted Organic Cotton Covertopper from a company called Mattress Insider. Any feedback from any of you out there? Would be so grateful for any thoughts... Thank you!
A Talay Latex mattress topper . It is not affected by heat or cold like foam . It doesn't harden or crush and stay hard like foam . Different thicknesses and we have the softest . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We had some forum folks who highly recommended these beds. Apparently they can also make a perfectly fitting bed that will fit the curved corners on those who have the twin configuration with the curved mattress. https://www.bearbeds.com/rv.asp

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thank you EVERYONE for your helpful replies to our mattress issue!!!!

WOW! As a "newbie" to trailering, those are some awesome suggestions! Lots of great ideas to explore. I am confident that we will find a solution to this seemingly benign situation and I will not have to be sleep deprived in our "Sporti-the Silver Burrito" too much longer-LOL!
My husband & I truly appreciate the expertise you all have shared. Thank you, thank you, thank you! TO ALL:
firemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
We love our sleep number at home (i8) and in the airstream (r5). Worth every penny. Short radius queen for the airstream. Both sides are independently adjustable for firmness.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/RV-Beds/p/R5
We did the same in our 30’ Serenity. Works so well!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We used a Costco memory foam topper in our old "Some Other Brand" trailer as those mattresses were dreadful. It did require a bit of adjustment -I cut it to fit with an electric knife and did some tailoring on the zippered cover, but it made all the difference in the world for sleeping.

Now, our Airstream came with the Tufts & Needle mattress and it is very comfy, I would highly recommend that brand as well (if you can get the right size).
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #18

1985 25' Sovereign
Red Deer , Alberta
Latex foam does not get hard when cold

As a long time camper I learned latex foam mattresses do not get hard or cold or hot. It may be hard to find a topper. I don’t know as I bought a full queen mattress to replace my spring mattress. I’m sure a custom mattress shop would be able to put you on the path to a good latex foam topper.
randylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylar View Post
As a long time camper I learned latex foam mattresses do not get hard or cold or hot. It may be hard to find a topper. I don’t know as I bought a full queen mattress to replace my spring mattress. I’m sure a custom mattress shop would be able to put you on the path to a good latex foam topper.
We also use at home Amazon and the internet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemermaid View Post

The problem with RV beds is that there is no box spring. The solution I came up with was to remove the plywood under the mattress and replace it with thin oak strips. I got the idea while in Germany when I noticed that the beds there do not have a box spring. Investigating further I found the thin wooden slats that flex individually and allow your hip and shoulder to sink in deeper for comfort. When I got home I replicated the idea in my Airstream with rear twin beds. I made the slats out of oak and cut them about 5/16" thick and about 2" wide. The slats get shorter as the wall of the trailer curves in. The slats are held in place by weaving narrow web straps between them to keep them uniformly spaced and a couple of screws to keep the assembly from shifting forward or back while driving. That and a foam topper on each bed has made them quite comfortable. One other thing is slats are really not needed at the foot end of the bed since there is no real weight there.
Hope this trick helps you enjoy your new Airstream!
Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote