Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2003, 06:35 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Talking Help track the quality of the '04s!

Ok, I've been slowly collecting data from the forum and PMs, but thought that it might be more efficent if I were to place this on as a thread.

Here's the scoop, we all know that there have been some quality issues with the '03 model year and perhaps some of the early '04s as well. There have been forum posts both here and on the Airstreamer forum (starting about 3 months ago) that have clearly indicated that Airstream is working hard on the fit, finish and overall quality control issues.

To help folks on the forum who are considering buying an '04, I propose that the folks that have purchased any '04 model year unit share some, if any, of their QC, fit and finish issues (or other issues) with the forum.

*** VERY IMPORTANT ***

You need to post the month and year of manufac of your coach. This will help identify possible problem months and help track any improvements that have been made. The build month and year can be found on each unit (ususally on the front streetside) on a metal square that contains VIN#, GVWR, etc. All we need is the build month/year and any good or not so good that you have come across.

I know that I will be posting as many details as I can good or bad after I pickup my '04 in December. Until then anyone that can, please post this info to help the rest of the folks thinking about buying an '04 and also to help the folks that may or may not have issues with '04 identify any trends.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I understand our 16 is going on the line this week, and I should see it end of month. The folks at AS seems very serious about their product, and my dealer seems very helpful. They say they like to have the TT for 3-5 days for prep and check out. This sounds good. We have very few AS in Alaska (at least that I ever see), and I expect many inquiries from folks, so this CCD may be some great advertising for AS. Maybe a dealership for us inthe future?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Hey Frozen,
We are looking at a 19 CCD, but are having a time figuring out just what options are available on the CCD's. Our only dealer in the state of VA had us call A/S directly and the sheet that we got is confusing.
What options did you choose or what did you have to pick from?
Is the safari upgrade available on the CCD trailers?
We like several fetures on the safari upgrade, but really like the looks of the CCD line.
Any help that you could offer would be great!

Abe aka vajeep

ps are you Presbyterian by chance??
we sometimes refer to ourselves as the frozen chosen also
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 12:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Nope, Methodist sinner. I'm in the same boat as far as information. I believe the Safari and CCD are 2 separate styles, the 19' being avail in both. Maybe other lengths too. Our options were few; color scheme, power jack, spare tire, window protection, side panel wraps, and AC. And,,Whoa, allright Broncons!!!(gotta stop watching TV as I do this...) we did not take AC or pwr jack. We went with the blue color, but I am still not sure what this is. The dealer had no samples/photos, and said that info was in the brochure. The brochure came (after 2 months wait) and had no such information. I finally got an E mail from AS with a few photos of the 3 color schemes, but too late to change the order. Oh well. The TT is on the line this week, so I may send a few cases of beer down there as a tip to the guys.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is what I know so far:

Jodynjeep has an '04 25' Six Sleeper and it has next to zero defects...built 8/03.

Bill Price bought a 34' slide out and says the quality control seems to have been working overtime..not sure on date of build

Kimili has had some issues with her 25' CCD six sleeper, and has a build date of 8/03.

More to come.....

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 04:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Our 2004 34 Limited with slide was built in September 2003. This being our third Airstream gives me some idea of what to look for. We find the fit and finish to be the best yet. The only problem we have encountered is with the fridge. It went out after one day. I do not see this to be a problem with Airstream but with Dometic. They agreed to replace the entire unit immediately. That is a fair response. Our overall impression of the trailer is a more modern approach to interior colors. Of course this is personal preference. The exterior fit and finish looks perfect. This unit will be featured on a Homes and Garden Tv show upcomming. I do not have a viewing date at this time.
I also find the dealer network to be working closely with Airstream. My dealer, Billy Sims of Lubbock, Texas takes care of business. His Svc Dept. is absolutely the finest I have ever used. Brady and Arley in the Svc Dept KNOW what they are doing. They are not the typical parts changers expermental svc dept.. These men know Airstream products and produce positive results. Keith Austin in the sales Dept has been a pleasure to work with. Every question was answered and when necessary a call to Airstream was placed to firm up any concerns.

To sum up our purchase and delivery of the trailer has been great! It is nice to see a company and a dealership deliver a quality product with pride.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:16 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Bill for the great info! Much appreciated.

Enjoy the beauty!

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 10:37 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
A POOR AS JOB!

Quote:
To sum up our purchase and delivery of the trailer has been great! It is nice to see a company and a dealership deliver a quality product with pride.
We weren't as lucky. Ours came with a few problems, see list below. Our dealer tried repairing a few but has yet to solve them all!

We have no complaints for the exterior, everything looks and feels perfect. The problems are inside, most are just plain bad workmanship by AS.

We had to repair most of them ourselves, even some the dealer had tried to do but did not succed with.

1. “Magazine Racks” – missing.
Have been added by dealer.

2. “Status Monitor” – Black reads full after a couple of flushes.
Dealer substituted sensor but still gives the same problem.

3. “Fantastic Fan” (over bed) – After its been on for a while it keeps on closing and opening nonstop, regardless of rain.
Dealer changed a few parts but it still does not work. It now closes when it starts raining and shuts off for good. You have to restart it manually!

4. “Hot Water Heater Assembly” - It is loose and therefore does not always work.
Dealer reinstalled this succesfully.

5. “Cabinet Latches” (under: bed & sofa) –
They open during travel.
Dealer substituted with stronger ones, like the black ones installed on all the other cabinet doors, OK now.

6. “Seam” (on right of bth’s door frame) –
There’s an open gap.
Dealer filled succesfully and neatly.

7. “Caulking” (bathroom windows) – Top one: water leaks in with heavy rainfall & bottom one: visibly a terrible job.
Dealer said he could not re do these.??? So he sealed them from outside, not a pretty job, but at least now the top one does not leak anymore.
We'll have to take care of that.

8. “Light Fixture” - Sometimes it turns on and sometimes it does not.
Dealer rewired succesfully. Though the one next to it is doing the same thing now.

9. “Hole” (in bottom left corner of the Shower stall) – Lots of water leaks into the WC area every time you run the shower.
Dealer put silicone but it's still leaking, not as much as before but enough to create a puddle.
We'll have to re do that aswell.

10. “Window latch” (right one on wrap around window) – It does not close.
Dealer replaced succesfully.

11. “Dinette” – needs to be re mounted completely!!
Bench next to the sofa: it’s NOT square with the wall making it very uncomfortable.
Bench next to refrigerator: it’s not leveled, the side next to the window is 1.5” higher than the other side! This because a 1.5” wood piece has been mounted under it!
Table: mounted too high for its leg. Objects slide down to the floor.
The dealer tried repairing this but it was a total mess. AS used power tools to mount this dinette and obviously didn't know how to use them. They squared one bench but only 16" while the other one is 21.5". ???
We had to redo it ourselves. Now they're both 21.5" from the table! We also added an extendable foot to the table.
Dealer ordered new bench next to fridge. Still waiting for part. We'll mount it!

12. Nails (bottom panel next to bth sink) - loads of nails sticking out and panel come off.
The nails are all bent and don't hold the panel in palce, besides making it look like a swiss cheese (full of holes).
Dealer trying to order replacement panel.
We took care of the dangerous nails immediately.

Defintly shows AS rushed it off the line - manufactured in August 2003. Guess they wanted it done quickly so it could sell before season was over. Some of the problems are so blunt obvious you can't believe someone did not notice them.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Kimili,
If this helps any, your trailer is not the only one with these sorts of problems.
I go by the dealer often to check out the new models, and it is beyond me how some of the defects could EVER leave ANY assembly line, much less slip through ANY quality control procedure.
Just yesterday i went to look at the 2004 models, saw the new Bambi Safari, all the new Safaris, the 16' CCD. 22 International Safari etc.
Overall, the quality and fit/finish of the inside installations was still very very poor. It did seem like some of the trailers had just been delivered, and were not dealer prepped yet.
Still they were the only trailers on the whole property even worth looking at.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Thanks UWE, we realize that but still it does not make us feel better, actually worse! Seems AS isn't what we thought it was.

We don't want to start a discussion but when you spend the amount of $$ we all did for a new AS (at least 3 times more than a SOB) and pay the Dealer $495 for dealer's prep, these problems should not exist!!

We're very dissapointed with AS QA.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Ditto.
But I still am drawn to them, somehow. Maybe they need to charge MORE to do the job they are expected to do.
And, even with the flaws as they are, it's still a better trailer than most or all of the other brands. ( in my opinion)
I am sure that once the bugs in your new trailer are ironed out, you will soon forget the hurdles in the beginning for all the good times ahead of you!
Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:43 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Kimili, first thanks a bunch for contributing to the '04 QC list.

I knew from past PMs and posts that you had some issues, but I never knew that some were that bad.

My first suggestion at this point would be to contact Airstream directly. Given the fact that you had issues before this unit (not QC related), and now with this unit, I really believe that you need to contact Airstream.

The answer might simply be to bring the unit to Jackson Center and leave it there over the winter and have them deal with it. I just got a flyer in the mail from Airstream stating just that....bring your unit to us for service and pick it up in the spring......some of the issues you have I would think should be fixed at the factory. I know you are not that close, but you are closer than folks out in the west coast. It's no short stint for me either at 5 hours one way.... Airstream has been known to also pickup trailers and re-deliver them if the case warrants it. Not sure if yours does or not, but I would contact them.

UWE, if you could of the '04s you've seen, it would be VERY helpful if you could share the date of manufacture that is stamped on each unit. The reason for this is that I'm trying to compile a list of build months/year(year since some will be built in 04 and 03) and models to see where the problems still show up and also to see how the improvements are going.

Regards,

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I will be by there next week again. i am taking a friend who wnats to possibly buy a new trailer. i will try and remember to write down the mfg date for you.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks.

Well gladly take the good as well as the not so good regarding fit and finish.

Having that info with model and month and year of production will be a great help!

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
My first suggestion at this point would be to contact Airstream directly.
Done, we exchange emails with Riegel the president weekly. He spoke with our dealer and they're trying to solve everything for us, but after having left Titan there for over a week and picking him up with still many of the same problems and some ugly repairs we lost some faith.

Also, after how AS let our unit out of the factory we feel very little confidence in leaving them Titan for repairs. Unless it's something we absolutely can't figure out ourselves. Then maybe that will justify the 40hrs of driving.

The dealer has some parts in order for us. We love Titan and want him at his best so as soon as we get the parts we'll fix him up and pamper him

You can't learn if you don't stick your hands right in the problem.

Certainly hope you're luckier Eric! All the best!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Stabilizer on LP Line

Here's something everybody should check. The LP line on our new 16CCD was riding on our curbside front stabilizer jack. We have notified AS and they indicate that this will be addressed by production immeadiately. Please check your units.
Attached Images

MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 01:40 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a fairly significant issue. I wonder what they are going to do with the units that are out there......

As for the quality improving in '04, the jury is still out on that one. I know Jack and I both have units slated for production in late November, early December so I know I will keep you all posted as I am sure Jack will have comments and observations as well.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. Please keep it coming. The only way to help the process at Jackson Center is to document like crazy the info we are all posting here.

At this point, Jackson Center has clearly said they hear us and that they are working on it. This thread will hopefully show how well they are doing on that front.

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 02:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

SilverTwinkie:
I hope AS checks with every recent AS that has come out of the factory. I know of one other 16CCD that has had the same problem. That intensifies my concern and prompts me to post the picture. Thanks, L.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 02:20 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I totally agree MaShep. I am totally taken back by the fact that they could have engineered it this way.

I too wonder what they are gonna do with the units out on the road. This has the potential of putting folks in a VERY bad situation being that it's is an issue with LP gas and coppers ease of bend and possible rupture in that area. I might even be as bold to use the "R" word here.... (recall).

I am keeping the faith, but I have to admit when I see things as obvious as this and the Kimili story, it does make me a bit uneasy. Then I read about the same number of folks that have no issues at all on this thread. To be honest, it sound like '03 all over again, but as I said the jury is still out.

I am going to check my lines when I get home tonight as my HWH is in the rear and the '03 Bambi also has standard those same stabilizer jacks back there and let you all know what I find. I do seem to recall looking back there and being as excessive compulsive as I can be, I am sure I would have freaked out of I had seen something like that.

Regards,

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Wow MaShep!
Now you got us worried. Will drive there tomorrow and check!!!!

After reading all the QA post on this forum I'm really starting to believe that there must be a number of different teams that assemble our babies. Some are great and some are really careless!! It all depends on who's on shift that day! Good luck Eric