Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #161
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Quote:
weather stripping on water heater door
What weather stripping they do not have a seal there..
Old 11-09-2003, 09:16 AM   #162
lee
2 Rivet Member

Jpairstream

Airstream put a rubber seal on my waterheater outside door and it was peeling off so dealer reglued it.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #163
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Monitoring switches

When we went thru the A/S factory tour (9-29-03) they had started using a pressure type monitoring switch for the tanks --back,grey, fresh water. They were still using the outside sticky type also, but had the new type as a redundant set-up. They said that so far they had not received any complaints as to the monitoring system not working. As I mentioned previously, I really feel customers will see a different QC on the new models.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:41 PM   #164
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Black Tank Sensor problem

Just finished my first (8-day) trip. Only additional problem found was that the black tank shows 2/3 full all of the time, including just after dumping and after several days use. The tank has never been more than about 1/4 full so far since I was alone in the trailer and gone a lot of the time.

I did have one window blind that would not stay up. Easy fix just by tightening the strings. This should be covered in the manual.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Oh Gosh-what to do?!

We have been negotiating and fine tuning our choice for our first full profile trailer and think the 25' SS would be just the right unit for our needs. There is a unit 2003 and we like it but are also torn between it and about ordering a 2004. I am leaning toward the purchase of the in stock unit.

Some of the differences I believe are that the 2004's have 18 gallon gray water tank as opposed to 23, the 2003 has trim vs rivets around the middle, and the 2003 dinette is 36" instead of 42". And the 2004 I saw had a door under bed and the 2003 does not. Which I thought might be an issue or perhaps we can retrofit the door on. What else is different? I thought the extra walk room was more important than the seat width for just my husband and myself, (and the 90# puppy, at least he acts like one, he's two now.) The tank is all for the good, the trim I have no idea except for visual difference.

But after reading about the quality control issues of 2003, I am even more afraid to go ahead. It is all carpeted so many of the floor issues may not exist, no slideout, the appliances are covered by manufacturer, and bathroom caulking should represent no biggie. I will defintiely check the gas line and stabilizer placement! So I wonder if I would be imprudent to take this 2003. Also my husband had a point that when we go to trade it in it will be a year older than we have had the use of.

I am appreciating all I am learning here and I thank you all. If you have any ideas or advice for me I am all ears

I really am getting excited over the Airstream. I've been over the maintainance realization, then crunching the towing weight numbers, SOB comparisons, but now as we are so close I am just not sure whether we should wait or go for it. Oh, and I promise not to hold you accountable for your opinions, I know we need to make our own decision. This is rough. I like them ALL!!!
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 PM   #166
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My 2003 classic is a "late 2003", having been built this spring. I can't fault the quality since it is head and shoulders better than my International that was built almost exactly a year earlier. If it is a fairly "late 2003", I would say go ahead.

I compared mine to the 2004s around it and saw absolutely no difference.

The dealer should bargain enough on the 2003 to pretty much cover the difference in eventual trade in. After a few years, condition means a lot more than dates.

For two persons, the smaller dinette should be just fine. It is nice to have moving-around room in the trailer.

I like the beltline trim; I think units without it look bare.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:55 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I think the trim looks cool too.

I love a deal, hope I can get my bargaining skills in good stead!

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
My 2003 classic is a "late 2003", having been built this spring. I can't fault the quality since it is head and shoulders better than my International that was built almost exactly a year earlier. If it is a fairly "late 2003", I would say go ahead.

I compared mine to the 2004s around it and saw absolutely no difference.

The dealer should bargain enough on the 2003 to pretty much cover the difference in eventual trade in. After a few years, condition means a lot more than dates.

For two persons, the smaller dinette should be just fine. It is nice to have moving-around room in the trailer.

I like the beltline trim; I think units without it look bare.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:52 AM   #168
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We are on the road to QA recovery. Our 30' 2004 Classic is being taken care of at North Dallas RV. Pat and Randy are working through our list of problems.

We have had excellent coordination from the Airstream headquarters. Dave Schumann is working with us. In addition to the warranty work in Dallas, Dave has approved having the flooring replaced at the dealer of our choice.

I am so glad to have this type or support for resolution of our quality items. There is light at the end of the tunnel. This support direct from the manufacturer is one reason for our purchase compared to SOB.

We have over 10,000 miles and 10 weeks in the trailer since July. The more we use our Airstream, the more we enjoy our Airstream.

Glad to hear others are getting better initial QC and problem resolution too.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 06:59 AM   #169
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wheel,

All I can say is that it's a personal choice what year to go with (and one that your wallet or purse will help you to decide as well perhaps).

I wanted a bunch of the upgrades and I also wanted a few non listed upgrades like the 15k BTU A/C with comfort contols (one thermostat for both the A/C and the furnace). I also opted for the second fantastic fan in the back roof vent. The Safari upgrade pkg only had the one in front. I also ordered the ultra leather sofa/sleeper, spice trader interior, and the Safari upgrade pkg that inclueds a ton of stuff like:

Water pump upgrade
Black tanks flush
Front fantastic fan
Electric front jack
LED tail lights
Spare tire
Screen guard
One touch galley faucet
2 Airstream jackets and caps

I particularly like the '04 center riveted line you speak of and the tear drop running lights. A very nice retro look!

As for the tanks, according to my sales brochures for both '03 and '04, the black tanks were 18 gals and the grey 39gals. So there is no difference in the tanks in these two years.

The table length is odd, the brochure in the '03 said the Bambi was 26x42. In reality it was larger than the stated 26x42. Either it was a misprint or the table size was changed after print. I would assume the Safari in '03 had a similar change. To be sure, I'd measure the '03 that you are looking at. If it too is 42", then that's one less difference between the model years.

I am very happy to have the larger table as well in the '04 SS. It makes a HUGE difference when you have folks with you. For example, I was on a farm for a week this year out by Brandi's parents house. Her niece and nephew came by and spent the night with us in the Bambi. Although it did work out, it was a bit cramped, but when we all sat down at the table for breakfast, I couldn't imagine it any smaller and working with more than 2 folks!

At any rate, putting my money where my (big) mouth is, I vote that you do the same as I did, special order one. If you are going to spend this much on an RV and really plan on using it, get it the way you want it. More times than not, ordering one, will get you exactly what you want. I know some folks have great dealers that can modify the coach for you, but a bunch of us have dealers (locally) that aren't worth salt!

In the end, whatever year you go with, you can't go wrong with the brand and/or model line selected!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:59 AM   #170
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Purchase decision

We decided to go new to get the options we wanted on a 30' Classic. Ordered in April 2003, picked up July 12, 2003, build 06/03.

15000 BTU AC/HP
2 fantastic Fans
Spare tire
Microwave/Convection Oven combo
2 skylights

We are glad we got exactly what we wanted since we paln on keeping ours for a long time. Needed the spare a few weeks ago when a value stem failed while filling it with air.

We really like the AC/HP combo. Worked well in Flagstaff the other night - temp outside 20 at daybreak, heat pump ran until aux (furnace) heat needed. Seamless operation.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #171
2 Rivet Member

Our 2004 Safari 28 W

Update.

Finally found the manufacture date on the unit....8/03.

Also, forgot to mention that one of the floorboards near the L-sofa is a little off kilter.

Otherwise, love it.

Abe
Old 11-14-2003, 07:09 PM   #172
1 Rivet Member

2004 AS 30' Classic Slide Out has Arrived!

Hi All, and Porky,

My first posting and still a bit green, but what a terrific site. We are upgrading our 96 Airstream 21' Sovergn to a 2004 Classic 30' Slide out Airstream. Just received the call (From 'Toscano', too Porky!) today, 11/14, that our coach has arrived at the dealer. Plan on picking her up on Weds. of next week, once the solar and Hensly Arrow are installed. So excited we can hardly see straight! Loved our 21 footer, but time for a bit more elbow room. A dream come true for us!

Look forward to getting to know all of you "Silver Jelly Belly" lovers!

Mike D.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:41 PM   #173
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Congrats on the new Airstream, Mike.

Let us all know how things work out for you next week.

This wait is killing me!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:49 PM   #174
4 Rivet Member

Congrats! Looks like the California '04 population is growing. Hope your new AS is perfect.
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:32 PM   #175
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, if all is going according to plan, construction of the new Silvertwinkie should have started yesterday.

Jack PM'd me yesterday saying that his dealer heard that Airstream was trying to add more bodies to the line to increase production......

Sure hope that has NO effect on the quality of the build!

Eric
Old 11-18-2003, 03:09 PM   #176
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thumbs up This is a good story about Airstream

I hope I'm not stealing Jody's thunder here, but after reading his exp with the Airstream folks after his accident with the Safari SS, I just felt that there was no better indication of the character, quallity and commitment to the customer as in this story:

http://www.airstream.com/airstreamer...hp?p=1832#1832

Very well done!

Eric
Old 11-21-2003, 04:37 PM   #177
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Found this to be cute!

I was browsing the Colonial Airstream site....they have a 25' Safari SS "LS" (the Safari Upgrade Pkg) which is suppose to come with the screen door guards........

http://www.colonialairstream.com/new...ages/7244h.jpg

As you can see in the photo, they are missing.....I emailed Colonial to point this out and they emailed me back saying they caught it too!

Looks like one slipped by the factory!

Outside of that little issue, I have to say, the unit from the pictures looks awesome! HUGE SKYLIGHT (not that I ordered it)!

Eric
Old 11-21-2003, 06:53 PM   #178
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
Eric, no worry about stealing my thunder I think it is important that us as customers understand just how much attention they do pay not only to the craftsmanship, but to the customer as well. Sure are there going to be mistakes? Absolutely, considering everything is measured and handcrafted to each individual trailer and that in a given day one individual could be working on up to four or five different floorplans / models. The reason I walked away with the experience - I got the rare opportunity to spend several days with the regular guys on the floors... the guys who try to be as meticulous with their work as anyone could hope to be. I know if I was in any one of their postitions, there wouldn't be a trailer that came out with a single screw in straight... simply amazing how much knowledge each individual person has. By my calcs - everyone I talked to had 6 yrs plus and had 3-6 different postions within the production line. 40% or more of them had 12 yrs or more. Believe me - yes there are probably issues but if the folks are listening to their employees as much as what they are now listening to customers... Airstream is on the way to re-inventing itself from the 90's era and percieved reputation.... There now have been two more posts I think about customer treatment - and I am relieved it just wasn't mine being voiced... I certainly hope you and Porky (and everyone dealing with AS) have great experiences as well...
Old 11-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #179
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well put Jody and I am very glad you were unhurt in the exp. From the pics I can see, the work they did was really amazing!

I hope to see my new Twinkie in a few weeks! Seems like an eternity of waiting! I too plan on visiting the factory while I am only 40 miles from it! I can't wait!

Eric
Old 11-22-2003, 12:06 PM   #180

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It looks like the timetable for my new '04 has been dramatically altered. I went up to the dealer today to get my new receiver and hitch ordered. I decided to walk through the new stock and found a newly delivered 30' Slide Out Classic (built in October '03) just like the one I ordered. The only difference is that this one had the leather sofa. The 15K A/C upgrade I wanted was there along with the skylights.

I talked to the dealer and we adjusted the price to account for the sofa so I'm back home to pick up Patty and have her take a look. If all is good we may have our Classic shortly. The dealer is scratching his head wondering why he didn't check his orders prior to ordering mine.

Any of you folks looking for a new '04 30' Slide with 15K A/C might want to check out Bill Thomas Camper Sales in St. Louis. If I take this one today, the one I ordered should be along in December or early January.

The only defect I can see at this point was some pushed out trim that got deflected when the curb side awing support arm was screwed in at the bottom of the trailer. This will be an easy fix. At first glance all else seems to be in order. Interior fit and finish seem to be very good.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote